Options

A blue VS. vinyl just went for $56 :(

ZodZod Posts: 10,168
edited June 2017 in The Porch
Friend of mine sends me a text about a blue vs. for $31.  I look it up and tell him, it's pretty rare, I've heard of them going for $1000 before.   He tells me there's only a few minutes left.  I tried to bid at the end but couldn't because it was US shipping only :(    Ebay used to let you bid anyways, but I guess now they don't.  I would of asked the seller to send it to my reshipping address in the US :(

Auction link removed
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Probably a bootleg version
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    that ebay one is def a bootleg version
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    drsluggo said:
    that ebay one is def a bootleg version
    How can you tell?  Good to know if they're out there.  Seems legit to me.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,852
    "Sony Promo Sticker on back of jacket." ..

Never seen one with a promo sticker on it.
    Not up  over  @ http://www.pjcollectors.com/subcategory.asp?id=122 .

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I'd never heard of the blue ones being pirated.   If you look at the pictures though it looks pretty legit to my eyes (including the foreign language sticker on the back).

edit:  Apparently the sticker is a bad thing?  Wierd.  I'd never heard of the blue vs' being pirated before.   Given that legit copies of black vinyl can be had for pretty reasonable prices there's very little to gain by bootlegging them.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    Zod said:
    I'd never heard of the blue ones being pirated.   If you look at the pictures though it looks pretty legit to my eyes (including the foreign language sticker on the back).

edit:  Apparently the sticker is a bad thing?  Wierd.  I'd never heard of the blue vs' being pirated before.   Given that legit copies of black vinyl can be had for pretty reasonable prices there's very little to gain by bootlegging them.
    You said earlier that the blue goes for up to $1000. I'd say there's a lot to gain from bootlegging these. Pearl Jam records are a bootleggers paradise. It's a shame that PJ have taken so long to destroy this lame practice. It rips off fans and takes money from the band and all of their charities.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Zod said:

You said earlier that the blue goes for up to $1000. I'd say there's a lot to gain from bootlegging these. Pearl Jam records are a bootleggers paradise. It's a shame that PJ have taken so long to destroy this lame practice. It rips off fans and takes money from the band and all of their charities.
    Ya I suppose if you can trick people into thinking it's an original they might pay some $$ for the knockoff.    Unlike the soldier field vinyl, there's load of legit copies of Vs.   Blue is only useful if it's an original, not a bootleg.   So you'd think most people would keep their distance of the bootlegs, once it's know the bootlegs are out there.  Thus a bootleg of blue vs. should have less value than a legit black version of vs.

Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    LostRebelLostRebel Athens, Greece Posts: 252
    edited June 2017
    this bootleg version is out there for quite some time.
    Here's another one.

Auction link removed

Compare it to this one
    http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1372
    - difference on the shape of the sleeve (2 "rounded" edges on the official one)
    - the color of the vinyl
    - color of the sleeve (the sheep is a bit "reddish" on the bootleg one)

And that promo sticker... it is not a sticker. Bootleg copies i've seen have this printed on the sleeve. When they bootlegged this version they probably copied/reprinted/reproduced a promo stickered sleeve of the Colombian Vs.  =)
    (like this legit one http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1388)

Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that.   I'm now glad that I couldn't bid on ebay for an item that couldn't ship to Canada :)
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Definitely a counterfeit. Saw a purple sparkly Vitalogy LP. I didn't know that record was counterfeited.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Yep. It's a bootleg.  I bought one last year thinking the same thing, like I got some rare steal.  But at least I can pass it off as legit in my head in my collection.  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    I had this bootleg years ago, paid $35 for it I believe.  Nothing spectacular at all.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

wow. bootleg vinyl is now almost where the live CD bootlegs were in the 90s.

glad to see people aren't paying crazy money for these thinking that they are legit versions.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    edited June 2017
    LostRebel said:
    this bootleg version is out there for quite some time.
    Here's another one.

Compare it to this one
    http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1372
    - difference on the shape of the sleeve (2 "rounded" edges on the official one)
    - the color of the vinyl
    - color of the sleeve (the sheep is a bit "reddish" on the bootleg one)

And that promo sticker... it is not a sticker. Bootleg copies i've seen have this printed on the sleeve. When they bootlegged this version they probably copied/reprinted/reproduced a promo stickered sleeve of the Colombian Vs.  =)
    (like this legit one http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1388)

Thanks for sharing, always good info to have!
    Post edited by Sea on
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

wow. bootleg vinyl is now almost where the live CD bootlegs were in the 90s.

glad to see people aren't paying crazy money for these thinking that they are legit versions.

I almost did.  I guess I'm not brushed up on my bootlegs.  I had assumed only No Code and newer had bootlegs.  I didn't realize the older albums were also being bootlegged :(   

I still don't like the fact that studio albums are bootlegged.  I love live bootlegs.   Stuff the band couldn't bothered to release themselves, but bootleging studio albums, and they now appear readily available on record store shelves.    Average fans not knowing they're bootlegs.  not cool :(
This discussion has been closed.