Options

IRS says, don't be fooled by arrest warning scam

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
We've received this pre-recorded scam call a number of times from someone claiming to be from the "IRS" (Internal Revenue Service here in the U.S.)  telling us we are going to be arrested for...blah blah blah.  It's a bit vexing because I haven't been able to get a phone number to send to the real IRS, but they know about it anyway.  Now, when I get this call I pick up and say "You're full of shit" and hang up again. 

I'm guessing pretty much everyone here is savvy enough not fall for this crap but here's the warning from IRS not to fall for this scam:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/irs-warns-of-pervasive-telephone-scam

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,927
    The same scam has been occurring in Canada for a couple years now.  Check out the Canada Revenue Agency website if you have any questions:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html 

Remember, CRA will only contact you via mail, NEVER over the phone.

thanks for the PSA Brian.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited June 2017
    Lol. I get email threats from the "Canada Revenue Agency" all the time. Apparently these things work. I don't really understand where these people's heads are at, but there are a surprising number of people who think it sounds reasonable to be told to go out and buy a bunch of gift cards at the grocery store and then to mail those where they're told to in order to pay off owed taxes, while not even knowing what the taxes are for. I don't want to victim shame or anything here ... but seriously, where is the line where judgment of the scamee is allowed? It should be drawn somewhere, because really, people still need to take responsibility for their own actions.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I hear you!  I know of one guy here in Victoria who paid out 8000$.  I think he just panicked and didn't stop and breathe and think.  I suppose it could happen to anyone if they are caught in a vulnerable moment.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited June 2017
    I hear you!  I know of one guy here in Victoria who paid out 8000$.  I think he just panicked and didn't stop and breathe and think.  I suppose it could happen to anyone if they are caught in a vulnerable moment.
    I have to disagree with you there, lol. I don't think it could happen to anyone, no matter what the moment. But anyway, that is rather sad and embarrassing for that guy in Victoria. Good lord, if I were actually that out of it and went ahead with such a thing, I'd probably be too embarrassed to report it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Most people are too embarrassed to report it.  I guess I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt.  C'est la vie.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    The same scam has been occurring in Canada for a couple years now.  Check out the Canada Revenue Agency website if you have any questions:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html 

Remember, CRA will only contact you via mail, NEVER over the phone.

thanks for the PSA Brian.
    Good point Fifthelement!  Same with IRS.  Don't give these scammers any of your time or attention on the phone and definitely don't give any money to them!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    I got one of these messages a few months ago. Said they had been monitoring my property and were on their way to arrest me. I can't believe people fall for this crap.
    I'm through with screaming