Options

Pearl Jam: I Would Love An EP of Punk Covers

2»

Comments

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    suck it OP, new original music or NOTHING!
    PJ_Soul said:
    Could be cool, but it would depend a lot of which songs were covered. I'm not sure I have a ton of faith that the song choices would be awesome.
    And that would be the main problem. It would most likely be "Sonic Reducer", a Ramones song, and other typical cover songs bands do. It might be interesting if they did some KBD rarities like a Dicks song or even lesser known songs by famous bands like "Don't Cry Wolf" or "Noise, Noise, Noise" by the Damned. Most of the time I hear bands covering something it's not a surprising selection or it's just a copy with nothing unique added musically. I love hearing an inventive cover song that makes you wonder what the song is and then you figure it out.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    that would be awesome!
    Zod said:
    new album, and singles with good old b-sides, not necessarily old songs...
    the b-side is dead to this band. 
    I always got the feeling they still have b-sides, but the format of the single is kind of dead, so they save 'em for a rainy day.  I fully expect a lost dogs 2 one day with all the left over tracks from the past 10 or so years. 
    not trying to split hairs here, but that's not a b-side, that's unreleased, which I'm certain they have, as you said. a b-side is a song that is a non-album track that is released along with a single. they haven't had a legit b-side in 14 years. 

other bands do b-sides. they release a vinyl single with a b-side. PJ stopped that, for whatever reason. My guess is monetary and they don't need the promotion or buzz anymore. they get no real financial benefit from releasing a b-side they could either use for charity or on a compilation release down the road. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I honestly thought the rise of digital singles on iTunes and other outlets would bring back the lost art of releasing a single with a proper bside. It seems the perfect place for it. $1.99 would get you the two tracks. Granted it isn't a record, but the idea would evolve. I guess the deluxe versions of albums is similar, but I thought the bside would come back via download sites. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    that would be alright, I guess
    Zod said:
    I always got the feeling they still have b-sides, but the format of the single is kind of dead, so they save 'em for a rainy day.  I fully expect a lost dogs 2 one day with all the left over tracks from the past 10 or so years. 
    not trying to split hairs here, but that's not a b-side, that's unreleased, which I'm certain they have, as you said. a b-side is a song that is a non-album track that is released along with a single. they haven't had a legit b-side in 14 years. 

other bands do b-sides. they release a vinyl single with a b-side. PJ stopped that, for whatever reason. My guess is monetary and they don't need the promotion or buzz anymore. they get no real financial benefit from releasing a b-side they could either use for charity or on a compilation release down the road. 
    Off topic, but the other day my friend said "isn't the second side of an album the worst side? That's all the b-sides, right?" :lol: She had no idea what a b-side really was, and has lived her entire life assuming Side A of every single album has all the best songs, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I'm not sure?  Obviously I'd prefer a new album full of originals, but if they find themselves with serious writers block, I guess it's better than nothing?

it's sort of what GNR's Spaghetti Incident was, but for them it was kind of the beginning of the end :(
  • Options
    frisbiecfrisbiec Seattle, WA Posts: 112
    edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Could be cool, but it would depend a lot of which songs were covered. I'm not sure I have a ton of faith that the song choices would be awesome.
    And that would be the main problem. It would most likely be "Sonic Reducer", a Ramones song, and other typical cover songs bands do. It might be interesting if they did some KBD rarities like a Dicks song or even lesser known songs by famous bands like "Don't Cry Wolf" or "Noise, Noise, Noise" by the Damned. Most of the time I hear bands covering something it's not a surprising selection or it's just a copy with nothing unique added musically. I love hearing an inventive cover song that makes you wonder what the song is and then you figure it out.
    "Sonic Reducer" is originally by the Dead Boys, not the Ramones. . . . wait never mind, I read your post wrong and believe you are saying "Sonic Reducer" and a Ramones song . . . my bad
    Post edited by frisbiec on
    Remove yourself from comfort . . . all progress involves risk
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    that would be awesome!
    I can dig it.  I thinks it's just what the band needs.  Put on the coffee, heat up the vacuum tubes, kick out the punk jams.  Heck yeah!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    If they do it, I vote for A Town Called Malice by The Jam. There's even a keyboard part! They're more Mod than Punk, but still a great band/song..
    http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpRm-p7qlY

"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Zod said:

HFD & PJSoul - you two....I love you both! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    Zod said:

That's a valid argument.  You are correct that b-sides are supposed to accompany single.  If they don't then they are unreleased tracks.   It is a shame they don't them anymore.  Some of their best songs were/are b-sides :(
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    that would be awesome!
    I honestly thought the rise of digital singles on iTunes and other outlets would bring back the lost art of releasing a single with a proper bside. It seems the perfect place for it. $1.99 would get you the two tracks. Granted it isn't a record, but the idea would evolve. I guess the deluxe versions of albums is similar, but I thought the bside would come back via download sites. 
    it has to some degree. some bands do it, digitally or vinyl-ly (Dead Weather, Royal Blood, Japandroids), but it's certainly not the norm. which is too bad. as a music fan, I get excited about that stuff. jack white knows what he's doing. so does dave grohl. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    frisbiec said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    "Sonic Reducer" is originally by the Dead Boys, not the Ramones. . . . wait never mind, I read your post wrong and believe you are saying "Sonic Reducer" and a Ramones song . . . my bad
    Yes, I am a big Dead boys fan and would never want to hear the Ramones cover that song. Never got to see Dead Boys live, but did see Stiv in all his glory with Lords.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    that would be awesome!
    I would love it. Punk PJ is some of my favorite PJ. They also do covers better than anybody. Their studio cover of "Reign Oer Me" is absolutely killer!  Itd be awesome to hear some punk covered in the studio!
  • Options
    gotahardhardheadgotahardhardhead Norfolk UK Posts: 17
    that would be awesome!
    Voted that would be awesome but that's on the condition they picked the following tracklist

Buzzcocks Ever Fallen In Love
    Patti Smith Dancing Barefoot 
    Fugazi Waiting Room
    Therapy? Screamanger
    Clash Should I Stay...

otherwise I vote for a grumpy new music or nothing
    Bringing this thread back only to say that after demanding "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" a month ago, I go to see Ed last night get a Uke version!!!! Plus some Fugazi
  • Options
    Chris519Chris519 Posts: 150
    MINOR THREAT.... yes please