Does anyone have any idea what this instrument is?

A coworker brought this wanting to know about it but I've got nothing. I looked online for awhile and can't find anything that has a fretboard like this.
I am the Lizard King I can do anything


  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 2,294
    It's called a "tambura Farkaš"
    It has taken me years to master, but when you hear Given to Fly on this you will never want to hear another version again.
    Just kidding, I had no idea what it was, but looked kinda cool so I googled a list of European stringed instruments and this was on it.
    Seems like it is a variant of a lute and some other similar instruments I've never heard of.
    Looks like they come in 2, 3 or 4 double courses which I think means double strings! Looks like this is the 3 version.
    Anyway, the description and picture look almost exactly like what you have including the head, neck and fretting so I'm guessing that is it.
    If nothing else I learned that weird fretting is called the Farkas system, thus Tambura Farkus.
    Here's the link I got all that info from, about 2/3 down you'll find the Tambura.
    Mind saying how you got that and if you plan to learn to play? Thing looks cool.
  • Thank you for the info!
    I am the Lizard King I can do anything
Sign In or Register to comment.