Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I always love the american fascination with sports, like it means something in the real world. to be invited to the white house to meet the president like they did something of real value. like they are soldiers on the front lines or something.

they played a game.

and there's no such thing as "world champions" in american sports, idiots. that makes me laugh, every single time.

It is rather silly. Sports, like everything else in America, are very territorial. Hell, I love sports and often times take them way too seriously myself. But even I can admit the glorification of them here is pretty funny.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244

Hats on, not only inside, but inside the f'ing White House

Really? Ok grandma. What a weird thing to notice/care about. Not a fan of nugent or kid rock really, but I'm continually amazed at what people get pissed off about.
    It's not raining, nor is there sun inside. Take your hat off.
    honestly, I get it, the custom of respect of taking off your hat. I, however, have never understood the relation of respect to being hatless. it's probably a military thing, where the general keeps his hat on, but everyone else takes theirs off, so the heirarchy is obvious, but that's just a guess.

other than that, I couldn't care less if someone keeps their hat on inside.
    I'm the same. I don't care. There's no logic to it really- it's just an antiquated custom that's supposed to demonstrate respect.

That's not to say I don't take my hat off where I'm 'supposed to' so that other's dinners aren't ruined (like Tony's).
    Wearing a baseball cap or god awful camo hat has no business at a formal dinner or event. They have hats for formal attire and that camo piece of shit isn't it. Kid Rock's is a little better and more fitting, but I also hold the standard with my kids that hats don't belong at the dinner table or formal events. If you want to wear a hat and eat, go to a ball game or a fast food dump.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

I always love the american fascination with sports, like it means something in the real world. to be invited to the white house to meet the president like they did something of real value. like they are soldiers on the front lines or something.

they played a game.

and there's no such thing as "world champions" in american sports, idiots. that makes me laugh, every single time.

It is rather silly. Sports, like everything else in America, are very territorial. Hell, I love sports and often times take them way too seriously myself. But even I can admit the glorification of them here is pretty funny.
    Agreed. If people only cared half as much about real world issues, their health or who they are voting for instead of knowing the stats of all their favorite players we'd be much better off.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    tbergs said:

they played a game.

Agreed. If people only cared half as much about real world issues, their health or who they are voting for instead of knowing the stats of all their favorite players we'd be much better off.
    it boggles my mind how seriously people take it. I used to have season tickets to the (CFL football team) Winnipeg Blue Bombers. they have sucked so bad for so many years (seriously, an 8 team league, we haven't won the cup since 19-fucking-91), people get so incredibly angry at games. I remember vividly one guy, at the end of the game, throwing his sunglasses to the ground and stomping on them in a fit of anger. A buddy of mine nearly got into a fist fight with another fan since he's from BC and was chearing the Lions, and this Bomber fan wanted to fight him for it.

and don't get me started on people KILLING REFS over soccer games.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:

Really? Ok grandma. What a weird thing to notice/care about. Not a fan of nugent or kid rock really, but I'm continually amazed at what people get pissed off about.
    honestly, I get it, the custom of respect of taking off your hat. I, however, have never understood the relation of respect to being hatless. it's probably a military thing, where the general keeps his hat on, but everyone else takes theirs off, so the heirarchy is obvious, but that's just a guess.

I'm the same. I don't care. There's no logic to it really- it's just an antiquated custom that's supposed to demonstrate respect.

That's not to say I don't take my hat off where I'm 'supposed to' so that other's dinners aren't ruined (like Tony's).
    Wearing a baseball cap or god awful camo hat has no business at a formal dinner or event. They have hats for formal attire and that camo piece of shit isn't it. Kid Rock's is a little better and more fitting, but I also hold the standard with my kids that hats don't belong at the dinner table or formal events. If you want to wear a hat and eat, go to a ball game or a fast food dump.
    as dumb as I think it is, I still tell my daughters to take their caps/hats/toques off at dinner, at home or out.

not sure why it seemingly gets you so hot under the collar though. what gives?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

Screw it. While we're at it.

Ted, you're not a cowboy, you don't need a cowboy hat. Also, camo, you're not blending into the surroundings in the white house.

Sarah, oh, Sarah...where do we start? You are at the white house dressed like you are ready to go to a Southwestern bar with a mechanical bull. Put your shoulders away. Dress lady is fine with her shoulders out as she has a very nice dress on, but you, not so much.

Kid rock. Outside of the hat, no matter what people are wearing these days, blue and black DO NOT match.

And just to show I am an equal opportunity curmudgeon, Bob, take your god damn sunglasses off. The UV rays do not come through walls.

• Options

tbergs said:

as dumb as I think it is, I still tell my daughters to take their caps/hats/toques off at dinner, at home or out.

Not really hot, but more annoyed. I think it's disrespectful and I was strictly raised that way. My dad made it very clear no hats at the table or events. I didn't get it then, but now there's just something about it that I find disrespectful and rude. It's the little things we do to show respect that seem to be getting lost in today's all too busy way of life. A family dinner together around the table with good manners and respect would do a lot of today's youth good.

Curious enough, I looked up the hat etiquette history and found this:

“Taking the hat off is the modern remains of the ancient custom of
    Knights who removed their helmets in the presence of those they felt
    their friends and thus, before those they wished to honor by showing
    that they trusted them. A man removes his hat before a woman to show
    his respect. Touching the brim is but a perfunctory salute.”

Anyway, back to the Three Amigos at the WH the other day.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

Ted, you're not a cowboy, you don't need a cowboy hat. Also, camo, you're not blending into the surroundings in the white house.

Sarah, oh, Sarah...where do we start? You are at the white house dressed like you are ready to go to a Southwestern bar with a mechanical bull. Put your shoulders away. Dress lady is fine with her shoulders out as she has a very nice dress on, but you, not so much.

Kid rock. Outside of the hat, no matter what people are wearing these days, blue and black DO NOT match.

And just to show I am an equal opportunity curmudgeon, Bob, take your god damn sunglasses off. The UV rays do not come through walls.

Those are prescription!
    Bob left his regular ones on Air Force One when they dropped him off.
    He had to wear his shades so he could read his acceptance speech.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tbergs said:

BINGO. This guy gets it.
  • Options

Haha! I am with on everything except blue and black (I honestly think it can look good when worn properly). Thought Palin looked ridiculous. Always trying to play the part of a hot mom instead of real lady. Puke!
  • Options
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

Not really hot, but more annoyed. I think it's disrespectful and I was strictly raised that way. My dad made it very clear no hats at the table or events. I didn't get it then, but now there's just something about it that I find disrespectful and rude. It's the little things we do to show respect that seem to be getting lost in today's all too busy way of life. A family dinner together around the table with good manners and respect would do a lot of today's youth good.

so, in essence, you think it's disrespectful ONLY because that's the way you were raised (and I think there's a lot of things like this). that's kinda my point. if we don't know why something is offensive to us, only because "that's how I was taught", maybe we need to look at it a bit closer?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:

Haha! I am with on everything except blue and black (I honestly think it can look good when worn properly). Thought Palin looked ridiculous. Always trying to play the part of a hot mom instead of real lady. Puke!
    My wife says the same thing about blue and black. I just can't get with it. Palin is just the worst of the worst.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Those are prescription!
    Bob left his regular ones on Air Force One when they dropped him off.
    He had to wear his shades so he could read his acceptance speech.
    Is that a fact?
  • Options

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

so, in essence, you think it's disrespectful ONLY because that's the way you were raised (and I think there's a lot of things like this). that's kinda my point. if we don't know why something is offensive to us, only because "that's how I was taught", maybe we need to look at it a bit closer?
    I get that, but I consider the flipside, people wearing a baseball cap/hat the majority of the time and I think, what the fuck is wrong with us. The purpose of a hat is to provide some sort of protection from the elements or advertise/support a product/team/slogan unless otherwise designed to be worn with a certain outfit/attire. What would you say about wearing sunglasses inside all the time or keeping a coat on. I think these customs are there because it is a sign of respect. I can't point to a specific reason why my kids shouldn't put their feet up on someone's table, lean on their hand while eating or use please and thank you besides that they are all signs of respect.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

I get that, but I consider the flipside, people wearing a baseball cap/hat the majority of the time and I think, what the fuck is wrong with us. The purpose of a hat is to provide some sort of protection from the elements or advertise/support a product/team/slogan unless otherwise designed to be worn with a certain outfit/attire. What would you say about wearing sunglasses inside all the time or keeping a coat on. I think these customs are there because it is a sign of respect. I can't point to a specific reason why my kids shouldn't put their feet up on someone's table, lean on their hand while eating or use please and thank you besides that they are all signs of respect.
    This is perfect. There are just certain things that show respect. The point I was getting at earlier is right here. Hats are designed to be worn outside because of various elements. Just like underwear is designed to be worn under your clothes as protection and support. Wear what is appropriate for the occasion. If I wear my flat cap the entire time I am at someones house, that tells me I can't wait to get the hell out.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

This is perfect. There are just certain things that show respect. The point I was getting at earlier is right here. Hats are designed to be worn outside because of various elements. Just like underwear is designed to be worn under your clothes as protection and support. Wear what is appropriate for the occasion. If I wear my flat cap the entire time I am at someones house, that tells me I can't wait to get the hell out.
    I'm on board with Cliffy and tberg here, but I also understand I'm part of a bygone generation. Based on the modern hipster look, I can no longer hang, and the boundaries of what is appropriate are definitely changing. Manners and respect in general seem to be antiquated notions from the past.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

Backwards hats. The PJ generation.
    Bothers the fuck out of me lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

Backwards hats. The PJ generation.
    Bothers the fuck out of me lol
    Haha! Completely acceptable.

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    CM189191 said:

Idiocracy was not meant to be a documentary or a how-to manual!!

• Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    My thing with indoor hats - other than old-school manners and not getting the benefit when you go back outside - is that I always assume the person is insecure about losing their hair.
    And insecurity about appearance is one thing the Trump whitehouse is good at.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    rgambs said:

Ted fucking Nugent.
    Here are some statements made by the "man" invited to the White House for dinner.

"If it was up to me, if you uttered the word 'gun control,' we'd put you in jail."

"Obama, he's a piece of shit. I told him to suck on my machine gun."

"Apartheid isn't that cut-and-dry. All men are not created equal."

"I'm beginning to wonder if it would have been best had the South won the Civil War."

"Jesse Jackson and Al Not-So-Sharpton would be lisping their ebonic mumbo-jumbo that the policy and the president are racist and bigoted."

"Those big uneducated greasy black mongrels on there, they call themselves rap artists."

"Foreigners are assholes; foreigners are scum; I don't like 'em; I don't want 'em in this country; I don't want 'em selling me doughnuts; I don't want 'em pumping my gas; I don't want 'em downwind of my life -- OK?"

"In an unauthorized entry, armed, like they are right now, invading our country, I'd like to shoot them dead."

"What's a feminist anyways? A fat pig who doesn't get it often enough?"

Yet Snoop makes a satirical video and the butthurt racist Breitfart snowflakes cry on their Chik Fil A sandwich. Murcian white privilege yall!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827

tbergs said:

Except the "hat rules" for women are different than for men. It was considered acceptable, indeed often mandatory, for women to cover their heads. In church in particular; in some places in the world women still won't be allowed into a (Christian) church without at least a token head covering. The head covered is considered a sign of respect with women. I guess it's because they were never seen as a physical threat that needed to be disarmed. So your daughters can freely tell you that you're wrong, HFD :).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

but again, "showing respect" with zero reason as to why it actually is respectful is the issue. like I said, and like someon else posted, it is historically a thing with military. how did that evolve into not wearing a baseball cap in a house? some people wear baseball caps for comfort. I don't care if someone wears their hat in my house.

feet on someone's table is obviously a hygene issue. but recently my daughter was at the dinner table and her elbow was on the table, and I actually stopped myself from telling her to take it off, as I couldn't pinpoint WHY it was rude. My parents, and their generation, would yell at their kids to take their elbows off the table. "why? "because it's rude" "why is it rude?" "it just IS, so get them off". No one can tell you why. because it's antiquated. it was most likely a tradition born out of people working in the stables/barn all day, and they'd have horse shit on their elbows, so it was rude/disgusting to put them on the table. I don't work/play in horse shit, so my elbows can go on the table without issue.

it doesn't matter what your definition of the purpose of an item of clothing is. or what something was originally designed for. it's not a rule that everyone needs to abide by. and this whole "this generation has no manners" BS. Jeez. Customs in all societies change/evolve. Leaving a hat on because you like it won't cause the downfall of civilization.

should women/hipster men not be allowed to wear scarves inside as an accessory? is that rude? how about cowboy boots? you're not a cowboy, are you? is that rude?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300

they played a game.

Agreed , Nugent & asshole Rock what are they good for absolutely nothing !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    "Kid Rock's wife sure does look classy"- No one ever prior to this photo op.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    edited April 2017
    Kid Rock is a clown. He was a walking identity crisis before he started realizing that he could milk the same crowds as Toby Keith and the like. Ted Nugent needs medication. That picture of all of them with Trump is like a PSA for stupidity. Role Models, for sure.
    Post edited by erocshifty on
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options

Kid Rock is a clown. He was a walking identity crisis before he started realizing that he could milk the same crowds as Toby Keith and the like. Ted Nugent needs medication. That picture of all of them with Trump is like a PSA for stupidity. Role Models, for sure.

Kind of fits the Trump model. Change your costume based on who you want your audience to be and then go with those less inclined to question your motives and willing to throw money at you knowing you are a fraud.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Ted Nugent, Kid Rock and Sarah Palin had a fete to remember at the White House for several hours Wednesday night, as President Trump treated the high-profile supporters to a white-china private dinner, a room-by-room tour and free-range policy chat.

Mr. Nugent — a guitar demigod, knife-between-the-teeth hunter and conservative provocateur — offered an inside glimpse of a gracious, relaxed and house-proud president with ample time to offer his thoughts on a wide array of topics, from entertainment to existential geopolitical perils.

“We were there for four hours, man!” Mr. Nugent, a 68-year-old Detroit native, said in a telephone interview on Thursday, using a four-letter expletive to signal his amazement at Mr. Trump’s willingness to spend so much time with his three casually dressed visitors.

“He gave us a wonderful personal tour of every room and talked about the origins of every carpet and every painting — there was a Monet — and then we had dinner,” said Mr. Nugent, who has referred to former President Barack Obama as a “mongrel” and to Hillary Clinton with an array of unflattering epithets.

4 hours of the president's time dedicated to these bozos. Does this guy ever do any actual real work? Saw he's no going to Mar-A-Lago
    again this weekend at least...
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    CM189191 said:

Ted Nugent, Kid Rock and Sarah Palin had a fete to remember at the White House for several hours Wednesday night, as President Trump treated the high-profile supporters to a white-china private dinner, a room-by-room tour and free-range policy chat.

Mr. Nugent — a guitar demigod, knife-between-the-teeth hunter and conservative provocateur — offered an inside glimpse of a gracious, relaxed and house-proud president with ample time to offer his thoughts on a wide array of topics, from entertainment to existential geopolitical perils.

“We were there for four hours, man!” Mr. Nugent, a 68-year-old Detroit native, said in a telephone interview on Thursday, using a four-letter expletive to signal his amazement at Mr. Trump’s willingness to spend so much time with his three casually dressed visitors.

“He gave us a wonderful personal tour of every room and talked about the origins of every carpet and every painting — there was a Monet — and then we had dinner,” said Mr. Nugent, who has referred to former President Barack Obama as a “mongrel” and to Hillary Clinton with an array of unflattering epithets.

4 hours of the president's time dedicated to these bozos. Does this guy ever do any actual real work? Saw he's no going to Mar-A-Lago
    again this weekend at least...

He'll be moving to his club in New Jersey or DC during teh summer. FL is too hot. No way is he in the WH all weekend. Not buying it.
This discussion has been closed.