Options

North Carolina's HB2 going through repeal

It is finally happening. HB2 is finally being repealed, though it is more of a compromise. Will this bring PJ back to NC?

http://www.wral.com/latest-hb2-clears-first-hurdle-in-senate/16615133/

Comments

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    If it's repealed,I do hope Pearl jam comes back. I'll be there this time around.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    "Repealed"
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    :joy:
    but there is still a lot of work to do.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    lolobugg said:

:joy:
    but there is still a lot of work to do.

Congrats!

Maybe PJ's action wasn't so "pointless" or "ineffective" as some folks thought!
    :wink:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Cooper has even said "its not perfect", but its a step in the right direction for NC. I hope Pearl Jam and The Boss both catch wind of this and come back to the state.

Of course, those bands playing here again is really of small significance, compared to what HB2 did to our state.
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    PJ needs to play a show in Raleigh and let the people who had tickets be the first in line to get tickets for the show. Make it the only real show in NA this year!
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    pulling69 said:

PJ needs to play a show in Raleigh and let the people who had tickets be the first in line to get tickets for the show. Make it the only real show in NA this year!

shit, I will vote for this.
    just don't tell the boys that it wasn't a full repeal.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    "Thursday’s repeal of HB2, the state’s “bathroom bill” that was little more than a thinly veiled effort to shame transgender people, is a repeal in name only. The legislation that takes its place specifically prohibits local governing bodies from passing laws that would protect the LGBTQ communities from discrimination until 2020.
    In other words, small-minded municipalities that want to legalize intolerance, you’re on the clock! You have three years to impose all the hate and ugliness you can before state leaders hopefully find their consciences and their backbones."

They won't be playing North Carolina anytime soon.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    RP112579 said:

"Thursday’s repeal of HB2, the state’s “bathroom bill” that was little more than a thinly veiled effort to shame transgender people, is a repeal in name only. The legislation that takes its place specifically prohibits local governing bodies from passing laws that would protect the LGBTQ communities from discrimination until 2020.
    In other words, small-minded municipalities that want to legalize intolerance, you’re on the clock! You have three years to impose all the hate and ugliness you can before state leaders hopefully find their consciences and their backbones."

They won't be playing North Carolina anytime soon.

Ridiculous. Very disappointed in Cooper. From some articles I've read this was done so they could keep their NCAA tournament games in Charlotte next year.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    pulling69 said:

There was a lot of bellyaching and downright hostility here by most of the people you now want to put at the front of the line.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

There was a lot of bellyaching and downright hostility here by most of the people you now want to put at the front of the line.
    Absolutely. Let's be real for a moment here... it accomplished nothing and only spit in the face of their fans. They were simply riding on Bruce's coattails anyway and I blame him more than anything. They can afford to take whatever they think the high road is in their mind and do what they think is politically correct without caring about the people who lost work and hard earned money to get to the show over their decision. Even the NBA pulling the All-Star game out of Charlotte hasn't resulted in more action to change things and i can guarantee you that was a bigger blow to the state than what a few concerts did.

But back to the question... the only way they could make this right would be a run of dates through Greensboro, Raleigh, and Charlotte and we all know they aren't going to do that.

Sorry to go slightly off-topic with rehashed ranting. I really am over it haha.
  • Options

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

Absolutely. Let's be real for a moment here... it accomplished nothing and only spit in the face of their fans. They were simply riding on Bruce's coattails anyway and I blame him more than anything. They can afford to take whatever they think the high road is in their mind and do what they think is politically correct without caring about the people who lost work and hard earned money to get to the show over their decision. Even the NBA pulling the All-Star game out of Charlotte hasn't resulted in more action to change things and i can guarantee you that was a bigger blow to the state than what a few concerts did.

But back to the question... the only way they could make this right would be a run of dates through Greensboro, Raleigh, and Charlotte and we all know they aren't going to do that.

Let's do it real right and have them come to Asheville.
    our LGBTQ community worked with the NCAA and our local city council to keep the mid-major tournaments in Asheville.
    only city in the state that hosted any this year. PJ are always welcome here as well as anyone else.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

So none of these actions had any influence, but the bill was "repealed" anyway? If the billions of dollars the state lost and would continue to lose had no impact, then why did they "repeal" it?
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

You lost me at 'spit in the face of their fans.'
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited March 2017
    If your immediate reaction to this is "Pearl Jam needs to come back now" your mind is in the wrong place.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    NewJPage said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

So none of these actions had any influence, but the bill was "repealed" anyway? If the billions of dollars the state lost and would continue to lose had no impact, then why did they "repeal" it?
    NewJPage said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

No, I absolutely think the NBA move woke people up and the realization that future sporting events (specifically ACC and NCAA Tournament games) probably wouldn't happen in the state freaked people out. I was just saying I'm surprised it took this long. But no, I don't believe for a second that a few rock stars' egos made an impact.
  • Options

NewJPage said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

NewJPage said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

No, I absolutely think the NBA move woke people up and the realization that future sporting events (specifically ACC and NCAA Tournament games) probably wouldn't happen in the state freaked people out. I was just saying I'm surprised it took this long. But no, I don't believe for a second that a few rock stars' egos made an impact.
    So rock stars did it for ego, but nba, ncaa, tons of other businesses did it for...what reason?
  • Options

NewJPage said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

NewJPage said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

Haha someone is still pissy!
  • Options
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

Hey, truth hurts sometimes. All of my friends in the LGBT community that are fans viewed this as an act of betrayal, not support. But this is an old, dead argument and I'm done. Peace.
  • Options

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

Hey, truth hurts sometimes. All of my friends in the LGBT community that are fans viewed this as an act of betrayal, not support. But this is an old, dead argument and I'm done. Peace.
    :lol:
  • Options

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

I love a little passive aggressiveness on a Friday!
  • Options

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

pulling69 said:

You missed the whole point the last 25 years.

• Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    The PJ protest accomplished nothing.  It didn't move the dial.  The thing is they also set a precedent about not playing their music as a way to persuade people to vote a certain way.  They punished lots of people in Raleigh and NC that were not happy about HB2 too.  Well, what about all the states or the entire country that has voted for Trump?   Not economically reasonable or cool, is it.  Heck, most of these artists have no problems with playing Coachella.   Eddie is playing Italy, which has some rough anti gay laws.   

If they really do care about the NC fans and the hard working people and businesses that lost money from the show, they certainly would prioritize playing a 1 off in raleigh or a little NC series with Greensboro and Charlotte along with Raleigh.   I highly doubt it will happen.  And giving priority to the people who had tickets via tenclub seems like it would be an easy thing for tenclub to accommodate as well.
  • Options
    JP Losman said:
    The PJ protest accomplished nothing.  It didn't move the dial.  The thing is they also set a precedent about not playing their music as a way to persuade people to vote a certain way.  They punished lots of people in Raleigh and NC that were not happy about HB2 too.  Well, what about all the states or the entire country that has voted for Trump?   Not economically reasonable or cool, is it.  Heck, most of these artists have no problems with playing Coachella.   Eddie is playing Italy, which has some rough anti gay laws.   

If they really do care about the NC fans and the hard working people and businesses that lost money from the show, they certainly would prioritize playing a 1 off in raleigh or a little NC series with Greensboro and Charlotte along with Raleigh.   I highly doubt it will happen.  And giving priority to the people who had tickets via tenclub seems like it would be an easy thing for tenclub to accommodate as well.
    Get over it, terrible quarterback.
  • Options
    RP112579 said:
    JP Losman said:

I guess you are one of those fanboy types that can never criticize them no matter what.  Its not that different than these Trump voters that will continue to support him no matter what he does because its like a religion to them at this point.   Its okay if your heroes aren't perfect.  Everyone makes mistakes.   
  • Options
    JP Losman said:
    RP112579 said:
    JP Losman said:

I guess you are one of those fanboy types that can never criticize them no matter what.  Its not that different than these Trump voters that will continue to support him no matter what he does because its like a religion to them at this point.   Its okay if your heroes aren't perfect.  Everyone makes mistakes.   
    I think it's more like a fanboy to cry and pout about a concert that was cancelled last year.  

• Options
    on2legs said:
    JP Losman said:
    RP112579 said:
    JP Losman said:

I think it's more like a fanboy to cry and pout about a concert that was cancelled last year.  
    nah a fanboy is someone that is responding to a comment thread about this show to talk smack to people that are still upset it because they can stand the thought of any criticism about their band.   the cancelled concert is relevant because they haven't said anything about playing Raleigh - like they promised they would.    
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited May 2017
    It is fair to call on the hypocrisy of cancelling that show but still playing in Italy or anywhere that has laws that go against their beliefs. Especially if they are really similar.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    It is fair to call on the hypocrisy of cancelling that show but still playing in Italy or anywhere that has laws that go against their beliefs. Especially if they are really similar.
    It's not hypocrisy.  They are a rock band. Just because they have values and ideals doesn't mean it's their job to change every injustice in the world.  But they are allowed to make stands for causes they believe in and they deserve to be praised when they stand up for others.  

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    These were always my thoughts about it. RHCP has always been openly supportive of the LGBT Community and played 2 shows here.

http://www.indyweek.com/music/archives/2016/04/23/we-talk-to-henry-rollins-about-his-anti-hb-2-piece-in-la-weekly-he-reads-our-minds

"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014