Options

Thinking about moving to Oregon.

joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
Me and my wife are thinking about getting out of the Bible belt and moving to Oregon. Anybody here from there that could possibly offer helpful tips? Whats the economy and school systems like?Are people there generally friendly toward people that come from a different part of the country?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    joseph33 said:

Me and my wife are thinking about getting out of the Bible belt and moving to Oregon. Anybody here from there that could possibly offer helpful tips? Whats the economy and school systems like?Are people there generally friendly toward people that come from a different part of the country?

I'm headed there this June scouting trip looking at housing when I'm there !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I think mfc2006 is a Texas transplant to Oregon, and GoBeavers is an Oregonian, so they can probably give you good feedback. I've found people in Oregon to be welcoming, friendly and easy going. The economy is doing well, good schools, and a progressive outlook on life. So good people, good economy, good education, good beer, good Pinot Noir, and an abundance of natural resources.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    My parents, born and raised southern California, just bought a home there last summer. Havent put their house on the market yet, but for what they expect to get is what they paid for 100 yards of river-front property on the Rogue River with an extra guest house and they love it. Cash fish from their back deck or launch a raft. Peaceful, great people, only complaint they have is winters are cold for them....but like I said, born and raise So-Cal, so anything below 50 is too cold.

I actually looked into moving there a few years ago, but I'm a public employee and the retirement plan was terrible. Only reason we didn't get very serious about it. Everything else about it was great, and if I wasn't paying into a public retirement system that wouldn't have mattered.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    edited February 2017
    I got out of Indiana and came to Oregon in '94 and absolutely love it. It's the most friendly area I've been to in the US. Say some more about areas your interested in moving to as well as career. The issue you'll have coming in will be higher housing costs and more competition for jobs because of the demand to live here. School quality will vary widely depending on the town, and then what part of town you'll be living in. There can be some really great schools and then some stinkers not so far apart. What area do you currently live in now? Edit: Nashville I see
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • Options

joseph33 said:

joseph33 said:

joseph33 said:

Let me know about some of the prices if you would please? My wife's work will bring us more than likely to Salem.
  • Options

I got out of Indiana and came to Oregon in '94 and absolutely love it. It's the most friendly area I've been to in the US. Say some more about areas your interested in moving to as well as career. The issue you'll have coming in will be higher housing costs and more competition for jobs because of the demand to live here. School quality will vary widely depending on the town, and then what part of town you'll be living in. There can be some really great schools and then some stinkers not so far apart. What area do you currently live in now? Edit: Nashville I see

We live in the Woodbine area. Wifey's work will more than likely take us to Salem,Or.
  • Options
    joseph33 said:

We live in the Woodbine area. Wifey's work will more than likely take us to Salem,Or.
    I'm in Salem once or twice a week for work. There's a lot of state government work there and it also seems like people commute there from further out, even coming down from Portland or Portland suburbs. Housing there is probably a little more affordable than other areas of "the valley" (the space from Portland to Eugene). If you're a smaller town person, there some really nice smaller towns west of Salem. It's really beautiful there and has a good wine country feel. The area really got notice when Oregon Pinot Noir got popular put it on the map for good wine. Oh yeah, you'll wonder 'where are the black people' when you get here.
  • Options

joseph33 said:

I'm in Salem once or twice a week for work. There's a lot of state government work there and it also seems like people commute there from further out, even coming down from Portland or Portland suburbs. Housing there is probably a little more affordable than other areas of "the valley" (the space from Portland to Eugene). If you're a smaller town person, there some really nice smaller towns west of Salem. It's really beautiful there and has a good wine country feel. The area really got notice when Oregon Pinot Noir got popular put it on the map for good wine. Oh yeah, you'll wonder 'where are the black people' when you get here.
    We live right in the heart of downtown Nashville,so we're use to congestion and traffic. As far as no black people,that's a curious flag.
  • Options
    joseph33 said:

joseph33 said:

We live right in the heart of downtown Nashville,so we're use to congestion and traffic. As far as no black people,that's a curious flag.
    The lack of racial diversity is probably the biggest negative for me. You'll probably think traffic is no problem here. The people who complain the most are Portlanders who've lived there awhile and think the traffic should be the same as it was 25 years ago. Just ignore those people!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Will chime in with my thoughts later when we get home!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Thanks for the info you guys ^^^^^^
    Looking forward to my trip out there !!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547

joseph33 said:

joseph33 said:

The lack of racial diversity is probably the biggest negative for me. You'll probably think traffic is no problem here. The people who complain the most are Portlanders who've lived there awhile and think the traffic should be the same as it was 25 years ago. Just ignore those people!
    Those are the same issues here in Boulder (CO)
    I considered Portland before ending up in Boulder.
    For me the deal breaker was the weather
  • Options

Very good points. Go Beavers has been here quite a bit longer than I have, but I'll chime in. We moved here about 4.5 years ago. We did our homework and narrowed the list down to Denver & Portland. Portland won & we started planning the move. Since you're moving to Salem & I've only been there a few times, I can't really comment on Salem. But, here's my take on Portland. Again, this is a Texas transplant's perspective.

-Schools: really depend on where you live in the city. Some are terrible, some are good.

-Traffic: I'm a Houston native, so traffic doesn't bother me that much. That being said, it has gotten significantly worse since we moved here. (Especially on 26 & I5) The city is kind of land locked, so I don't know how the hell they can improve it.

-JOBS: the market is crazy competitive. Lots of tech jobs are moving here, which is good...but everyone is applying.

HOUSING: Sadly, we may have waited too long for the housing bubble to burst because the prices just keep going up. Renting & home buying are very expensive and competitive. If you're looking to buy, expect the asking price to be the minimum price. Be prepared to be outbid by a full cash offer. I think Salem is a bit better, so that's good for you. But, more and more people that work in Portland are commuting from Salem, so they may spike the market.

-Weather: Spring & Summer make the dreary rainy season worth it for us. This winter has been a little nutty with snow/ice & the city was not prepared at all. It's just a beautiful state from top to bottom. Not a lot of crazy downpours like in TX, but a steady constant drizzle and you won't need your umbrella bc you'll get used to it.

-Coast/Cascades: you're about an hour or so away from both, which is fucking awesome. Tons of great camping here and the Gorge is just a short drive away as well & it is stunningly beautiful.

Other Stuff
    -not the best drivers
    -people are super nice
    -no sales tax
    -great restaurants
    -the BEER....my god, the beer!!!
    -cheap flights anywhere on the west coast/HI/AK
    -short drive to Seattle & BC
    -Timbers soccer matches are a blast
    -good record/book stores
    -great local music scene

That's all I've got for now! Shoot me a pm if you want any more info!

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I actually love the driving here. People drive so much slower it can be almost comical. I've adjusted to it and enjoy it now. You'll pass most everyone on the interstate if you go 71 mph. When I go back east I feel like I'm in a nascar race with the tailgating an everyone going as fast as possible. But yes to everything Matt fc said.
  • Options

joseph33 said:

joseph33 said:

I live in Bend now, which has Boulder-like weather. I love it. What are housing costs like in Boulder? We almost moved there in '94 before deciding to move to Eugene, but even back then it seemed like it was too expensive.
  • Options

joseph33 said:

joseph33 said:

I live in Bend now, which has Boulder-like weather. I love it. What are housing costs like in Boulder? We almost moved there in '94 before deciding to move to Eugene, but even back then it seemed like it was too expensive.
    Boulder housing is out of control ridiculous with little inventory and houses sell almost immediately and almost always for more than the listing price
    Last year the average 4 bd, 3 bath ,2 garage house averaged over $1,000, 000
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

Very good points. Go Beavers has been here quite a bit longer than I have, but I'll chime in. We moved here about 4.5 years ago. We did our homework and narrowed the list down to Denver & Portland. Portland won & we started planning the move. Since you're moving to Salem & I've only been there a few times, I can't really comment on Salem. But, here's my take on Portland. Again, this is a Texas transplant's perspective.

-Schools: really depend on where you live in the city. Some are terrible, some are good.

-Traffic: I'm a Houston native, so traffic doesn't bother me that much. That being said, it has gotten significantly worse since we moved here. (Especially on 26 & I5) The city is kind of land locked, so I don't know how the hell they can improve it.

-JOBS: the market is crazy competitive. Lots of tech jobs are moving here, which is good...but everyone is applying.

HOUSING: Sadly, we may have waited too long for the housing bubble to burst because the prices just keep going up. Renting & home buying are very expensive and competitive. If you're looking to buy, expect the asking price to be the minimum price. Be prepared to be outbid by a full cash offer. I think Salem is a bit better, so that's good for you. But, more and more people that work in Portland are commuting from Salem, so they may spike the market.

-Weather: Spring & Summer make the dreary rainy season worth it for us. This winter has been a little nutty with snow/ice & the city was not prepared at all. It's just a beautiful state from top to bottom. Not a lot of crazy downpours like in TX, but a steady constant drizzle and you won't need your umbrella bc you'll get used to it.

-Coast/Cascades: you're about an hour or so away from both, which is fucking awesome. Tons of great camping here and the Gorge is just a short drive away as well & it is stunningly beautiful.

Other Stuff
    -not the best drivers
    -people are super nice
    -no sales tax
    -great restaurants
    -good record/book stores
    -great local music scene

Matt
    That's was some very good info,thanks so much.
  • Options
    joseph33 said:

mfc2006 said:

Other Stuff
    -not the best drivers
    -people are super nice
    -no sales tax
    -great restaurants
    -good record/book stores
    -great local music scene

Matt
    That's was some very good info,thanks so much.
    You bet! Let me know if I can help in any way.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969

I'm in Indiana now...somewhere else sounds good
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

I'm in Indiana now...somewhere else sounds good
    I know that feeling. We just loaded the Uhaul and took off.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Buy a Subaru if you want to blend in.
  • Options
    Start on a beard, and get a bike.
  • Options

Start on a beard, and get a bike.

A fixie not no Damn 18 speed
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Congratulations Oregon, a respectable #19
    US News Best States Overall Ranking

At a time when the federal government is attempting to hand more responsibility for spending and policymaking to the states, these rankings offer the first comprehensive view, state by state, of how some states already are performing best.

Kind of interesting how many of the states that might lean towards 'State's Rights' fall towards the bottom of this list....again. And the more progressive states lead the way....again.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    unsung said:

Buy a Subaru if you want to blend in.

What do you buy to blend in? A '72 Ford Pinto?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana