"Day Without A Woman" - General Strike - March 8, 2017

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

my2hands said:

If Trump loved America so much I think he would have paid a few dollars in taxes the last 20+ years

He's a fucking fraud

no....he played by the rules set forth by the government.

you may be right. but, be honest, if Obama had done this (evaded taxes legally and/or refused to release his returns), you'd be all over him like white on rice.
    HAHAHAHAHAHHA white on rice ???? that's great ! but really do NOT remember me stating that he was a non citizen ? I think I stayed out of that one because all the info coming out was......hinky to say the least.

I think you may have responded to a different question. would you have been ok/not ok with Obama not releasing his tax returns and/or using every legal loophole available to not pay taxes?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

my2hands said:

If Trump loved America so much I think he would have paid a few dollars in taxes the last 20+ years

He's a fucking fraud

you may be right. but, be honest, if Obama had done this (evaded taxes legally and/or refused to release his returns), you'd be all over him like white on rice.
    HAHAHAHAHAHHA white on rice ???? that's great ! but really do NOT remember me stating that he was a non citizen ? I think I stayed out of that one because all the info coming out was......hinky to say the least.

I think you may have responded to a different question. would you have been ok/not ok with Obama not releasing his tax returns and/or using every legal loophole available to not pay taxes?
    as much as I did not trust Obama I really feel his tax returns were of little interest to me.

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244

Ms. Haiku said:

The following are the three requests from the Women’s March organization for participants in the Women’s Strike on March 8

1. Do not engage in paid or unpaid work
    2. Do not spend money
    3. Wear red

If I don't have a job, I can do all three. If I do, then I can do #3.

Does giving money to charities that support women count as #2? Because that's what I had planned to do.
    I don't have a problem with it. Its probably encouraged.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818

my2hands said:

While the so called billionaire born with a silver spoon lived in luxury

not everybody is content with being working class, some people make wealth happen in their lives, they work for it go to school for it and work hard to make it happen, is that wrong ?

No one is saying that's wrong; they're just saying it doesn't apply to Trump, who was never working class. He was born wealthy.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    dignin said:

Trump is gutting and running the US off a cliff and there are Trump apologists on this thread complaining about a protest. I would laugh if it wasn't so SAD!

Solidarity protesters, true patriots.

Well said.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456

dignin said:

Trump is gutting and running the US off a cliff and there are Trump apologists on this thread complaining about a protest. I would laugh if it wasn't so SAD!

??????? ohhhh believe me, you and people who share your opinion must have zero idea what it takes to build a prosperous country, so how long do think our economy would have lasted by increasing the national debt everyday ? it was the biggest debt created by any president but I'm sure the immigrant's(legal and illegal) and welfare abuser's loved it, some folk's love a freebie even if it bankrupts an economy, that's SAD !
    :giggle: That's almost cute that you think Trump is going to slash the national debt, given all the information available.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

??????? ohhhh believe me, you and people who share your opinion must have zero idea what it takes to build a prosperous country, so how long do think our economy would have lasted by increasing the national debt everyday ? it was the biggest debt created by any president but I'm sure the immigrant's(legal and illegal) and welfare abuser's loved it, some folk's love a freebie even if it bankrupts an economy, that's SAD !
    :giggle: That's almost cute that you think Trump is going to slash the national debt, given all the information available.
    let's wait and see, me and all my cuteness will bet he does.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

let's wait and see, me and all my cuteness will bet he does.

he just may. if you exclude how much he's going to spend on what the right will call "necessities" like The Wall and the military. and if he doesn't, oh well, it's the kenyan's fault, right?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:
    37 whoa that's a whole lot of folks compared to what 600,000 marched yeah ok let's stay home folks !!!!
    Just throwing it out there...employers have rights as well. The right to fire your ass for not coming into work!
    lol like I said sit on your hands , me & my wife have jobs too and we have something called PTO no problem With our employer to get days off !! So yeah I'll be supporting as many marches I can !!
    If you take a PTO day how is that a STRIKE? That's Paid Time Off. That's not a Strike.

Definition - refuse to work as a form of organized protest, typically in an attempt to obtain a particular concession or concessions from their employer:

What concession are you getting from your employer? And you're not refusing to work anymore than when I go to Grandma's house.

Have some balls and Strike. Don't call your employer. Don't submit a PTO form before or after. And absolutely do not accept pay for that day. Have some f'n balls and STRIKE!!!!!!
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:
    37 whoa that's a whole lot of folks compared to what 600,000 marched yeah ok let's stay home folks !!!!
    Just throwing it out there...employers have rights as well. The right to fire your ass for not coming into work!
    lol like I said sit on your hands , me & my wife have jobs too and we have something called PTO no problem With our employer to get days off !! So yeah I'll be supporting as many marches I can !!
    If you take a PTO day how is that a STRIKE? That's Paid Time Off. That's not a Strike.

Definition - refuse to work as a form of organized protest, typically in an attempt to obtain a particular concession or concessions from their employer:

What concession are you getting from your employer? And you're not refusing to work anymore than when I go to Grandma's house.

Have some balls and Strike. Don't call your employer. Don't submit a PTO form before or after. And absolutely do not accept pay for that day. Have some f'n balls and STRIKE!!!!!!
    No biggie I have to call in just so they know I'm not dead what's wrong me marching strikes a nerve lol what are you doing to protest or is your life all nice and set and you have nothing to complain or complain on behalf of like I've stated I'm marching for my wife my mother my sister my daughter my nieces ...how about you who you sitting on your hands for ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    Even though the title of this thread lists it as a strike, I don't think it is one. It is more of a march to bring awareness. Strikes usually occur when there are specific demands, like more wages or better healthcare, and continue until one side caves. If a strike was a 1-day planned event, the employer would tough out the 1-day and continue with business as usual the next.
    There doesn't seem to be any demands), just bringing awareness to the importance of women in society. Which confused me, because I don't know anyone who will argue that. But without specific demands or target, I would not call this a strike. But a march to bring awareness instead.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mace1229 said:

Even though the title of this thread lists it as a strike, I don't think it is one. It is more of a march to bring awareness. Strikes usually occur when there are specific demands, like more wages or better healthcare, and continue until one side caves. If a strike was a 1-day planned event, the employer would tough out the 1-day and continue with business as usual the next.
    There doesn't seem to be any demands), just bringing awareness to the importance of women in society. Which confused me, because I don't know anyone who will argue that. But without specific demands or target, I would not call this a strike. But a march to bring awareness instead.

Yeah, a strike would require a bit more commitment and more women to be on board to be effective. There is not going to be picket lines at all business to ensure that women do not spend money or go to work... I assume most women in the country will just go on with their day and forget anything is happening...unless you live specifically in a left wing liberal city of course...which is kind of like preaching to the choir. Hopefully they will have a good turnout and clean up theirs messes. I do feel bad for the actual city workers that have to clean up after these marches. Speaking of which, haven't seen much mentioned about the man made disaster at the Dakota pipeline by the messy protesters. I think we should have a "Clean up your damn messes" march, lol
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,293
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

my2hands said:

He's a fucking fraud

Perhaps like flies on dog shit???
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    edited March 2017
    I agree if he did not release taxes he would have received equal scrutiny. I don't think anyone will blame someone for not paying more taxes than they are legally obligated to though. Have you ever filed a tax return, and just told the IRS to "keep it" when you realized you were getting a refund? It was more of a reflection of a bad business decision than anything to do with taxes. But you're right, I'm sure lots would have given him crap for it, just don't thin kit is justified.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I hope they clean up their mess this time.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:

He's a fucking fraud

So you're American if you don't fight the extortion.

Got it.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,293
    unsung said:

my2hands said:

He's a fucking fraud

So you're American if you don't fight the extortion.

Got it.
    its its own kind of welfare.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited March 2017
    I will be at a rally in DC tomorrow.

#TrumpGlobalGag #NoAbortionBan

I'm excited to be a part of this.

Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Call it what it really is, an anti trump rally.

Dont use womens rights as the excuse.
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,768
    unsung said:

Just as soon as he calls his anti-woman legislation what it is...anti-woman. Seems fair to me.
    Falling down,...not staying down
    What anti woman legislation?
    edited March 2017
    unsung said:

Huffington Post article: Donald Trump Reinstates Ronald Reagan’s Abortion ‘Global Gag Rule’

"It bars international health organizations that receive U.S. funding from mentioning abortion as a family planning option."
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    Kat said:

unsung said:

Just as soon as he calls his anti-woman legislation what it is...anti-woman. Seems fair to me.
    exactly.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Ms. Haiku said:

unsung said:

Donald Trump Reinstates Ronald Reagan’s Abortion ‘Global Gag Rule’

"It bars international health organizations that receive U.S. funding from mentioning abortion as a family planning option."
    We should cut off all funding. Not because of abortions but because why do we need to get taxed to subsidize the entire world?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

Ms. Haiku said:

unsung said:

Donald Trump Reinstates Ronald Reagan’s Abortion ‘Global Gag Rule’

We should cut off all funding. Not because of abortions but because why do we need to get taxed to subsidize the entire world?
    Because we can easily afford it and we aren't heartless robots?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I think the 20+ trillion debt would say otherwise.
    Not talked about enough, the national debt scares me more than anything about this country. If nothing changes I am fairly certain within the next 2 presidents our economy will be like Germany after WWI. But do you think China will be so forgiving when we go bankrupt and say "sorry, we lost your money"?
    edited March 2017
    mace1229 said:

I think the 20+ trillion debt would say otherwise.
    Not talked about enough, the national debt scares me more than anything about this country. If nothing changes I am fairly certain within the next 2 presidents our economy will be like Germany after WWI. But do you think China will be so forgiving when we go bankrupt and say "sorry, we lost your money"?

And still the foreign investments keep rolling in! Our credit is good and there isn't any reason it won't continue to be. We can print dollars to pay it off, the dollars don't need to be backed by shiny metal, that's a childish economic view, the dollars are backed by confidence in American dollars. It's all about confidence and Trump is the only real threat to that. Germany is doing just fine because the confidence in the German people to get shit done never faltered. Lean years come and go, if losing WW2 wasn't enough to break Japan or Germany as world powers, I am not particularly worried about the national debt. What is China going to do? Stop lending and investing? Oh well, lean times until we adjust.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/us-government-19-trillion-debt-not-a-problem-2016-4
    That's your solution? Print more money? Seriously?!
    Geez, we are screwed.
    mace1229 said:

That's your solution? Print more money? Seriously?!
    Geez, we are screwed.

Not my solution, I am out of my league here so I defer to economists (as long as they aren't Keynesian fools).
    The point is that a "solution" isn't really necessary, partly because we have that option.
    This is macro-economics, not libertarian checkbook balancing. The dollar's value is irrefutably based on confidence, not shiny metal. If we maintain that confidence, we have no problem, on the international scale. Domestically, debt can have some side effects that can be problematic, but that's a pretty complicated and nuanced situation.