Options

Celebration Rock Podcast

13»

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,407
    How could you not like Off He Goes? So far these shows are like posts in these forums. Complaining about songs you don't like
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    laa1025 said:

The one with Jessica Letkemann will be the best one. But, it is interesting to hear casual fans discuss their points of view. I found PJ in college, so it was interesting to me to think about people finding PJ in middle school. I hadn't thought about that before.

Out of all the guests. She's the most hardcore.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I found PJ when I was 6 years old. Never looked back.
  • Options
    I'm listening to these podcast as both a huge PJ fan. And as someone who's barely heard of PJ or just knows the first 3 albums. This No Code episode, they're saying it's their favorite or 2nd favorite PJ album. But talk about filler songs. Not having a good second half of the album. One song being too long. One of them not liking Off He Goes. Underselling songs like Hail, Hail. Saying it's not like a Ten or Vs era rock song. Even though they liked it. But that's the whole point of Pearl Jam. I don't know if someone who already has a bad perception of No Code would want to check it out. But I could be wrong.

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    That said I'm glad for these podcasts. We need more Pearl Jam talk out there
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    gregoryieldgregoryield Posts: 274
    igotid88 said:

I'm listening to these podcast as both a huge PJ fan. And as someone who's barely heard of PJ or just knows the first 3 albums. This No Code episode, they're saying it's their favorite or 2nd favorite PJ album. But talk about filler songs. Not having a good second half of the album. One song being too long. One of them not liking Off He Goes. Underselling songs like Hail, Hail. Saying it's not like a Ten or Vs era rock song. Even though they liked it. But that's the whole point of Pearl Jam. I don't know if someone who already has a bad perception of No Code would want to check it out. But I could be wrong.

Listening to this episode, the complaining to celebrating ratio seems way, way off. Far more of former than latter. What an odd listen, given that I perceive the intent of this podcast is to appreciate (v. decry) the music.
    PJx69
    EVx11
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Hmmm...How come the Yield show has yet to be put up on iTunes?
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,457
    kudos to whomever recommended The Great Albums podcast. It's really good.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    Vitalogy-ology Part 5: Pearl Jam's Yield http://apple.co/2oEWY4Z
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    igotid88 said:

I enjoyed this one.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    RP112579 said:

igotid88 said:

I enjoyed this one.
    I too but they didn't get into the tracks like the "Great Albums" podcast did.
  • Options
    Speaking of the Great Albums podcast, hopefully they do one for No Code soon.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Two albums in one show. Are we okay with this?
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    Should I get the free razors from harrys.com in orange, blue, or green? There's a catch, however. You gotta buy their products!
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,457
    rummy said:

Two albums in one show. Are we okay with this?

Yes. I would say no if the podcast was better. I've been listening to The Great Albums podcast instead
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

kudos to whomever recommended The Great Albums podcast. It's really good.

Happy to hear that you're enjoying it!
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    Thanks for posting. Admittedly I didn't think it was going to be out until next week (which doesn't really make sense since the induction ceremony is this weekend).
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    igotid88 said:

How could you not like Off He Goes? So far these shows are like posts in these forums. Complaining about songs you don't like

Yeah, doesn't seem like much of a celebration. I couldn't even get through the No Code episode.
  • Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    I wish I was enjoying these episodes more as I generally can listen to someone talk about Pearl Jam all day long. =) I wish it was more like the guest DJ sessions or the specials on Sirius. Those are great!
  • Options
    JensStillHereJensStillHere Columbus, Ohio Posts: 101
    I had to turn it off. If I had to listen to one more discussion about how to pronounce Jeff's last name while dismissing half of No Code as "filler" I was going to lose it.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

I had to turn it off. If I had to listen to one more discussion about how to pronounce Jeff's last name while dismissing half of No Code as "filler" I was going to lose it.

I hear ya. Why do all music critics comes off as such pretentious douchebags?
  • Options
    I'm all for being objectively critical and while No Code is my favorite album, I'll be the first to admit that it's weird and might not be a casual fan's thing. But yeah, they lost me when they dismissed Off He Goes and said Mankind is a pee break.
  • Options
    And now I'm listening to No Code end to end because IT IS THE BEST ALBUM EVER!!! ;)