Cartridge Recommendation

So I've been in the market for a new turntable for little while now, as I've been stuck using my Gemini TT-04 table that I got in high school when scratching intrigued me (I was a confused teenager). My dad was gracious enough to give me his Technics SL-Q2 table, which seems like a pretty great table for its class, especially for free.

I now need a good, but budget friendly cartridge. I currently use a Shure M44-7, which I like but I'm sure there's a better hifi option out there. I'd like to keep the budget around $100. Thoughts?
Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16

Comments

• Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbsPosts: 129
    I would look at the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. I have one on my Denon turntable and I think it sounds great. It should be right around $100 dollars also. I am by no means an audiophile and i'm sure there are comparable cartridges in that price range, but this one works great for me. Hope this helps a bit. I will be interested to see what other people suggest.
  • fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PAPosts: 332
    Croos1226 said:

I would look at the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. I have one on my Denon turntable and I think it sounds great. It should be right around $100 dollars also. I am by no means an audiophile and i'm sure there are comparable cartridges in that price range, but this one works great for me. Hope this helps a bit. I will be interested to see what other people suggest.

Thanks for the recommendation! The 2m red is one that I'm considering. I actually have a replacement stylus for a 2m red that a friend's gave me, so I would be set for a while if I had the 2m body.

Another option I'm considering is the Shure m97-xe. They both seem comparable, with the Shure supposedly having a warmer sound.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 5,836

Croos1226 said:

Thanks for the recommendation! The 2m red is one that I'm considering. I actually have a replacement stylus for a 2m red that a friend's gave me, so I would be set for a while if I had the 2m body.

Another option I'm considering is the Shure m97-xe. They both seem comparable, with the Shure supposedly having a warmer sound.
    I love my Shure cartridge. I am running a vintage M97- precursor to the XE.
    you can't go wrong with the Ortofon or the Shure.
    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446
    1995- New Orleans, LA
    1996- Charleston, SC
    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN
    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN
    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA
    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)
    2006- Cincinnati, OH
    2008- Columbia, SC
    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2
    2010- Bristow, VA
    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL
    2012- Atlanta, GA
    2013- Charlotte, NC
    2014- Cincinnati, OH
    2015- New York, NY
    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA: Raleigh, NC: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA
  • fl4tdrivenfl4tdriven Moscow, PAPosts: 332
    lolobugg said:

Croos1226 said:

I love my Shure cartridge. I am running a vintage M97- precursor to the XE.
    you can't go wrong with the Ortofon or the Shure.
    Good to know. I'm really bouncing between those two right now. If I end up with the Shure, I'll probably just sell the 2m stylus.