Options

Feb 17; nationwide strike

It's time. Now. General Strike. All of U.S. February 17th 2017. Shut it Down. S.O.S.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2017/02/02/1629113/-It-s-time-Now-General-Strike-All-of-U-S-February-17th-2017-Shut-it-Down-S-O-S

"...In a column for the Guardian on Monday, American writer Francine Prose called for a "nonviolent national general strike" to demonstrate "how many of us there are, how strong and committed we are, how much we can accomplish."

She wrote: "Let’s designate a day on which no one (that is, anyone who can do so without being fired) goes to work, a day when no one shops or spends money, a day on which we truly make our economic and political power felt."

Calls to do just that have been circulating online recently, with activists setting Feb. 17 — the Friday before President's Day — as the day for a #nationalstrike against the presidency of Donald Trump..."

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Free said:

It's time. Now. General Strike. All of U.S. February 17th 2017. Shut it Down. S.O.S.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2017/02/02/1629113/-It-s-time-Now-General-Strike-All-of-U-S-February-17th-2017-Shut-it-Down-S-O-S

"...In a column for the Guardian on Monday, American writer Francine Prose called for a "nonviolent national general strike" to demonstrate "how many of us there are, how strong and committed we are, how much we can accomplish."

She wrote: "Let’s designate a day on which no one (that is, anyone who can do so without being fired) goes to work, a day when no one shops or spends money, a day on which we truly make our economic and political power felt."

Calls to do just that have been circulating online recently, with activists setting Feb. 17 — the Friday before President's Day — as the day for a #nationalstrike against the presidency of Donald Trump..."

The good, so many are unemployed and may show up.
    The bad, so many are under employed and can't afford to show up.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    JC29856 said:

Free said:

The good, so many are unemployed and may show up.
    The bad, so many are under employed and can't afford to show up.
    So then what do nothing ever ? Or try anything just to say fuck off we are not standing for your message!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Not shit-stirring - will those generally striking be off all social and other forms of media too on that day? Texting, tweeting, etc...I mean, hell - just living, existing, involves spending money. Consuming in some form. (I do, at least.)

I honestly can't say I feel bad for having the following Monday off from work. I fucking need it. The down time.

Shit's gone crazy lately, all over, but tossing politics aside for the time being (gotta let it go sometimes), I'll take the day given off, and luxuriate in it.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    hedonist said:

Not shit-stirring - will those generally striking be off all social and other forms of media too on that day? Texting, tweeting, etc...I mean, hell - just living, existing, involves spending money. Consuming in some form. (I do, at least.)

I honestly can't say I feel bad for having the following Monday off from work. I fucking need it. The down time.

Shit's gone crazy lately, all over, but tossing politics aside for the time being (gotta let it go sometimes), I'll take the day given off, and luxuriate in it.

Though I agree this has to be dealt with as a whole you can feel it people are not happy !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

hedonist said:

Though I agree this has to be dealt with as a whole you can feel it people are not happy !
    Reminds me of the lovely Meg Tilly scene / quote from The Big Chill...

"I haven't met that many happy people in my life, how do they act?"

No shit, sister. Maybe it's all relative?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    hedonist said:

I'm down I could use a day off from one of two jobs....One of which I can't seem to let go of it. Every time I try to get out of it, it just pulls me back in. Sounds like a scene from a movie. I'm never sick so that's a good day to be sick and call in. As for the forum that's easy not too hard to stay away from here. Say this year it seems I haven't gotten any requests to renew my membership....Mine was up in early January.

Oh I won't spend a dime on that day I'm disciplined....Went to Vegas once for 10 days never bet a penny it will probably never happen again though. : SMILE:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited February 2017
    hedonist said:

I call bullshit. Your life does not revolve around buying things every single day of your life. And if you're working how do you have the time to buy things every. Single. Day? Consumerism is a deadly disease especially in the US since we thrive on the almighty dollar, bedamned real principles and democracy at stake.

And striking is just too much of a chore for you especially when you need a day off. Oh, poor you. Can't be bothered with real fascism shit taking over the country. Because you'd rather be consuming! Yay!
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    I don't see that going well to be honest.

Look how some anti-Trump demonstrators behave towards Trump supporters. Trump worshippers aren't going to comply with a general strike. Given many will likely cross picket lines... this has the potential to become a highly charged and emotional event.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Why would Trump worshipers comply to a general strike when they are happy with him? That doesn't even make sense.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited February 2017
    So will those of us who cannot take off work, will we automatically involuntarily be labeled as Trump supporters and our businesses be boycotted and/or vandalized???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Free said:

Why would Trump worshipers comply to a general strike when they are happy with him? That doesn't even make sense.

Are you responding to me? I think this is what I said.

Do you have multiple personalities? You're the OP presenting the concept. Here you're knocking the idea.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    You didn't clarify your post.

Why would anybody expect those who are comfortable under a fascist rule go out and strike?
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

So will those of us who cannot take off work, will we automatically involuntarily be labeled as Trump supporters and our businesses be boycotted and/or vandalized???

I think there'd likely be a checklist to confirm identities before people jump to any conclusions.

Didn't strike? Check.
    Less than 3 teeth? Check.
    Wears red hat with 'Make America Great Again' slogan? Check.

Confirmed. Trump supporter. And in that case... Trump opponents will not buy your moonshine.
  • Options

PP193448 said:

I think there'd likely be a checklist to confirm identities before people jump to any conclusions.

Didn't strike? Check.

Confirmed. Trump supporter. And in that case... Trump opponents will not buy your moonshine.
    Both of these posts a ridiculous, way to go to extremes. If you don't like the idea of a nationwide protest against our dictator for president, why even reply?
  • Options
    Free said:

You didn't clarify your post.

Why would anybody expect those who are comfortable under a fascist rule go out and strike?

I didn't think it needed any clarification. I just re-read it. It still doesn't.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

PP193448 said:

Didn't strike? Check.

Well, just thinking that some businesses may get "Ubered" by the extremists
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Free said:

PP193448 said:

Didn't strike? Check.

Both of these posts a ridiculous, way to go to extremes. If you don't like the idea of a nationwide protest against our dictator for president, why even reply?
    One is not necessarily against it- it's merely predicting an inevitable outcome in some situations. The other is obviously humour.

Have a nice day.
  • Options
    So the next day after this protest what happens?
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    No protest for me, I'm a happy camper!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,406
    edited February 2017
    As much as I dislike Trump, Bannon, and their gang of goofs, I see this idea of a general strike at this time as silly.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    This sounds like a great way of opening up jobs for refugees :). No strike for this person...dumbest fucking plan I've ever heard of, btw.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Great time to get some errands done, no Communists on the road!
  • Options
    Free said:

hedonist said:

I call bullshit. Your life does not revolve around buying things every single day of your life. And if you're working how do you have the time to buy things every. Single. Day? Consumerism is a deadly disease especially in the US since we thrive on the almighty dollar, bedamned real principles and democracy at stake.

And striking is just too much of a chore for you especially when you need a day off. Oh, poor you. Can't be bothered with real fascism shit taking over the country. Because you'd rather be consuming! Yay!
    I said consuming. You drive, you consume gas. Fix a meal, buy and consume food. Use your phone, paying for that service.

So no, you may "call bullshit" but it is not from here.

Jesus, can you get over your unwillingness to discuss other viewpoints without hindering constructive discussions? Such anger.

But yes - poor, poor pitiful me.

And you, you rock, Free! More than anyone.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I think these Communists should really step up and show how strong they are. Don't file taxes for the next eight years!!!

Who is in???
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696

No protest for me, I'm a happy camper!

I always wonder about people happy with trump. Do they have a line that if he crosses, they won't be happy? Do they see his cabinet picks and think "good one!" When he tweets, do they agree with him?
  • Options
    unsung said:

I think these Communists should really step up and show how strong they are. Don't file taxes for the next eight years!!!

Who is in???

Trump I guess?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    just checked my work schedule. i have to work

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

Great time to get some errands done, no Communists on the road!

Hahaha you are like a caricature of a person.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

unsung said:

Who is in???

Trump I guess?
    Zing!