Options

Front & Center: Sound Engineer And Co-Founder of Soundgirls, Karrie Keyes. Pearl Jam Tour Late 2017

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,924
http://www.thewimn.com/front-center-sound-engineer-co-founder-soundgirls-karrie-keyes/

The WiMN’s Front and Center is a weekly column that showcases accomplished women who work in the music and audio industries. We spotlight successful female performers, manufacturers, retailers, educators, managers, publicists, and everyone else in between. Want to be featured? Learn how here.

Front and Center: Sound Engineer And Co-Founder of Soundgirls, Karrie Keyes

By Myki Angeline

Sound engineer Karrie Keyes has spent over two decades monitoring sound for some of the biggest names in rock like Pearl Jam and The Red Hot Chili Peppers...and she accomplished this as a mother of twin daughters. A true inspiration to women in a field where women make up only 5% of audio engineers. That is why she co-founded Soundgirls; to give women (and those who identify as women) a platform to support working in professional audio and music production by highlighting their success and providing a place for them to connect, network, and share advice.

We are thrilled to be presenting Karrie Keyes with a 2017 She Rocks Award at the upcoming NAMM Show in January. In honor of the occasion, she recently spoke with us on her life on the road with Pearl Jam, how she overcame the struggles of being a woman in the sound engineer industry, and what Soundgirls has in store for 2017.

Visit Soundgirls website here.

WiMN: Congratulations on being a She Rocks Awards honoree! What are you looking forward to most at the ceremony, and what does it mean to you to receive this award?

KK: I attended the awards for the first time in 2015, and loved hearing the stories and achievements from the honorees. The sense of community that this awards show creates is very important and empowering. I am humbled to be honored. The hard work I do on a day to day basis for the SoundGirls community is important for women and girls. To be recognized for that work is very rewarding.

WiMN: Give us your professional title and what you do as a part of SoundGirls. How long have you been a part of this organization?

KK: I am the co-founder and executive director of SoundGirls. I run the organization on a day to day basis. That includes: editor, finance, website, social media, organizing workshops and seminars, answering email, speaking engagements, community outreach, fundraising, developing our Live Sound Camp for Girls. Basically everything.

WiMN: What was your introduction to music in your youth?

KK: I would just fall in love with songs I heard on the radio. I think differently than some, to the point I would be so emotionally excited when they came on the radio. Back then, I took music lessons from about 3rd grade through middle school. Options to work in music were not presented to me in high school, but it was something that called to me. I tried to remain content by being a fan and attending as many concerts and shows as I could.

That is one thing SoundGirls works to change. We feature monthly profiles on Women Audio Engineers, so now when young girls are searching online for female audio engineers they have a face; a role model. You can’t be something you can’t see.

WiMN: You aspired to be a writer when you were younger, and travel the world. Do you still write now? Have you traveled the world?

KK: I love to write and I write a lot of content for SoundGirls, so that is nice. I have been able to travel to a lot of places by touring with bands.

WiMN: What attracted you to audio/monitor engineering?

KK: I had the desire to be around music and that creativity. So, when I had the chance to hang out at shows and help a local sound company, I just jumped at it. You can take a lot of chances when you are 17. From there I learned on the job and eventually was running the stage and able to mix monitors for the support bands and eventually the headliners.

WiMN: Describe one of your most memorable sessions.

KK: Oh geez! There are too many. When I was working one-offs on a regular basis, everyday had the potential to be a magical and memorable experience. The power of live performance to transform, elevate, empower...to transport to another a place is - well there is nothing else like it.

WiMN: Do you play any instruments?

KK: Not now.

WiMN: Can you tell us about some of the projects you are working on currently?

KK: SoundGirls! We are just gearing up for our annual fundraising, which provides scholarships to any girl that wants to attend our Live Sound Camp for Girls during the summer. Last year we provided four camps across the U.S. with over 100 girls attending and providing 70% of the girls attending scholarships. (The camps and SoundGirls is open to all genders and non-conforming genders. Our membership base is about 35% male and 65% female). We are close to launching a directory for Women in Music Production - where women and those that identify as women can upload their resumes, experience, job discipline. The directory is free and can be utilized by anyone that is looking to hire women for their production team. Now, when people say they want to hire women but can't find them - there will be a directory full of them.

Lastly, Pearl Jam should hit the road in late 2017 which will round out the year.

WiMN: Have you ever faced adversity in the music industry simply for being a woman? If so, how did you overcome it? Do you feel it made you a stronger, tougher person?

KK: Once the road manager for Pearl Jam posted a picture of the women on the crew (which we have several from Production Manager, Production Coordinator, Lighting Designer, Monitor Engineer, Management, Photography and Fan Club, Lighting Crew) with the caption, 'The Tougher Side of the Pearl Jam Crew'.

Women must work harder, smarter, and be tougher, and by being those things is how you overcome adversity. Since starting SoundGirls I have learned that the issues women face are not limited to women; it affects all marginalized people. The industry needs diversity.

WiMN: Do you have advice for young women who might be considering a career as an audio engineer?

KK: My advice is the same for all. Follow your passion and do what you love to do. It may be a hard path to walk, but one that will be incredibly rewarding. SoundGirls is a wonderful and supportive community where you can ask questions, find resources and mentors and start on this amazing career path.

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Sweet!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    Yes!!! Hoping for a Vegas, Phoenix, SoCal swing!
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    seeya there
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,439
    Was hoping for mid 2017, but shit. Ill take what I can get. Wont expect dates for a while then.
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    radarradar Posts: 769

seeya there

e-visa would be fine for Australia right ?
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,017
    radar said:

seeya there

radar said:

seeya there

I'd guess west coast USA is due first then Australia in the new year, similar to leg 2 2013/January 2014.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    So... south america or australia?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited January 2017

Yes!!! Hoping for a Vegas, Phoenix, SoCal swing!

+1

A Phoenix / Vegas swing would probably be my only good chance of catching a show.

• Options
    Hello bank account my name is Slap.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    That's perfect!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

So does that also imply no stadium show?!?!
    I'll take the Boston Garden please!!!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Time to close down the Jo in Detroit
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,481
    pulling69 said:

Time to close down the Jo in Detroit

Fingers crossed, I hope so
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,470
    I'm predicting a new album. Remember this post. I called it first.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Interviewer just slides into the next question. Not even a... "WTF you jus say?"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited January 2017
    KV4053 said:

Not according to this thread from last week.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/262740/new-pj-album-and-tour-coming-per-cleveland-plain-dealer/p1
  • Options

KV4053 said:

Not according to this thread from last week.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/262740/new-pj-album-and-tour-coming-per-cleveland-plain-dealer/p1
    Yeah but that info posted was just 'rumored' material. http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/6398731/#Comment_6398731
    camel1206 said:

He just responded to me and said, not official, just rumored.

It would be great if Pearl Jam does release a new album in 2017.
  • Options

So does that also imply no stadium show?!?!
    I'll take the Boston Garden please!!!

Would love to see a Pearl Jam show at the Garden, and the very next day a Bruins game while in town.
  • Options
    Bump! :)
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    edited January 2017
    KV4053 said:

Dude, that's amazing! You are literally the first person that has mentioned that. In fact, I'm pretty sure the band hadn't even thought about it until you posted it here and now they are booking studio time.

Do you think you could predict a tour with stops in Texas?
    Post edited by AceCool on
  • Options
    AceCool said:

KV4053 said:

Dude, that's amazing! You are literally the first person that has mentioned that. In fact, I'm pretty sure the band hadn't even thought about it until you posted it here and now they are booking studio time.

If he could predict a tour with stops in Atlantic Canada, that would be pretty freaking sweet too!

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,470
    AceCool said:

KV4053 said:

Album yes. Texas no. I live in Houston. Why? Great question.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Lost in all the commotion is the very cool organization she is running. Bravo!
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    my2hands said:

Yes!
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    my2hands said:

You expected anything less?
  • Options
    my2hands said:

http://www.soundgirls.org is amazing! :)