Options

Why Pearl Jam Deserves to Be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
http://observer.com/2017/01/pearl-jam-deserve-rock-roll-hall-of-fame/

By Ron Hart • 01/05/17 12:33pm

Ever since the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced its 2017 inductees, there’s been plenty of grumbling about Pearl Jam’s induction in the group’s very first year of eligibility.

The Hall of Fame and just who’s worthy of being inducted will always be a source of argument. However, there has never been a modern band more qualified for inclusion right out of the gate than Pearl Jam, who at the height of the alternative rock boom of the early to mid-’90s used their popularity to push an agenda championing the very icons for whom the hall was designed.

No other band in the world possesses the true heart of rock ‘n’ roll, Huey Lewis and The News notwithstanding. Questioning their worthiness for the Hall in their first year eligibility is one of the most wrong-headed arguments I’ve suffered through on the internet. These following songs firmly attest to Pearl Jam’s impeccable taste and their ability to inspire their fans to dig deeper into rock’s back pages.

https://youtu.be/dFbPzru1ugE

“Masters of War” by Bob Dylan
In a room full of legends it was Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready who stopped the show at Bob Dylan’s 30th anniversary concert in 1992 with a powerful and stark reading of “Masters of War.”

The combination of McCready’s spare fretwork and Vedder’s earnest growl helped elevate this Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan highlight to a haunting new level of resonance.

https://youtu.be/WY1Q01K7qac

“Roadhouse Blues” by The Doors
Before Ian Astbury got the gig as the new Doors singer, the surviving members tried on Eddie Vedder when they reunited for their induction into the Hall in 1993. Vedder proved himself a worthy successor to Jim Morrison in his own right with the performance; his earnest growl was a formidable substitute for the Lizard King on fiery versions of “Break On Through” and “Light My Fire.”

Once this new version of The Doors began tearing into “Roadhouse Blues” this ad hoc dream team truly took flight. It’s too bad a tour didn’t immediately follow.

https://youtu.be/RFuYHkLeUQM

“Baba O’Reilly” by The Who
Only a foolhardy band would dare tackle a song as perfectly emblematic of the group who created it as The Who’s resounding anthem for a post-mod teenage wasteland. But Pearl Jam not only covered the song during their 1992 tour; they delivered something closer to the electrifying version from The Kids Are Alright then its tamer studio take found on Who’s Next.

https://youtu.be/94iyMXw7oSc

“Rockin’ in the Free World” by Neil Young
There’s a massive contrast between the MTV Video Music Awards of 1993 and what transpires on that channel today, and it all starts with the hottest performance of that night back in ’93.

Last year it was Beyonce dancing her way through a 15-minute promo for her latest album Lemonade. But 23 years ago the most-talked-about set from the MTV Video Music Awards was courtesy of Pearl Jam, who debuted “Animal” off their hotly anticipated second album Vs., a ferocious version that’s still notorious to this day.

But the “Holy Guacamole!” moment came immediately after, when they were joined by Neil Young for a rowdy rip through the Godfather of Grunge’s Bush 41-era anthem “Rockin’ in the Free World,” a song Eddie and the boys were liberally incorporating into their own concerts over the course of their prior two years on the road.

The performance marked the beginning of a long and fruitful relationship between Pearl Jam and Uncle Neil, one that would yield a wonderfully off-the-cuff collaborative LP in 1995 called Mirror Ball and a permanent slot for the band at Young’s Bridge School benefit concerts.

They also continued to gratuitously pull from the Canadian great’s catalog for covers with a particular concentration on his ’90s material with equally inspiring takes on “Fuckin’ Up” from 1990’s Ragged Glory and a note-perfect reading of the title cut from 1992’s Harvest Moon. (Don’t be surprised if you hear them bust out a cut from Peace Trail on their upcoming tour.)

A lot of fans found Neil Young thanks to Pearl Jam, and that accomplishment alone earned them their first year eligibility into the Hall.

https://youtu.be/iSqugzxhgpU

“I’ve Got A Feeling” by The Beatles
The May before the release of Ten in 1991, a three-song promo tape was sent out to fans on the Soundgarden and Mother Love Bone mailing lists introducing them to Pearl Jam. In addition to embryonic versions of “Wash” and “Alive” there was also a cover of The Beatles’ “I’ve Got a Feeling,” chosen for inclusion by Jeff Ament because Let It Be was the first album he ever bought.

It’s a faithful version, albeit one augmented by ad libs by Eddie about the late Andy Wood and the band’s forthcoming appearance in the Cameron Crowe-directed Seattle rom-com Singles. But what’s more captivating is how the selection of the song itself, a deep cut from the final Beatles LP, set the stage for how Pearl Jam would go on to interpret the great rock songbook over the course of the next quarter century.

https://youtu.be/4447lT5GQOk

“Last Kiss” by Wayne Cochran
The White Knight of Soul’s tearjerker rock ballad about a necking date that took a tragic turn barely registered on the pop charts when it was first released on the Gala label in 1961. Yet when J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers tried on the tune in 1964, their cover stayed in the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 for eight weeks, peaking at No. 2.Vedder found a copy of the Cochran original in a Seattle antique mall, which lead to Pearl Jam recording the tune on the 1999 charity album No Boundaries: A Benefit for the Kosovar Refugees.

As a single, it became the band’s biggest hit yet, reaching No. 2 on Billboard just like its predecessor did in ‘64 while helping to raise over $10 million in funds for Kosovo relief. If not for Pearl Jam, this Kennedy-Era classic would have been surely lost to the ages instead of given a third lease on life heading into the 21st century.

https://youtu.be/OQUKpa9DwCU

“Sonic Reducer” by The Dead Boys
You can pretend to be as cool as you want, but chances are you never heard of the Dead Boys before you experienced Pearl Jam’s uncompromising cover of the Cleveland punk legends’ 1977 anthem they’ve been playing since September 1992, releasing a studio version as part of their holiday 7-inch series as well later that year.

The song has since been a regular staple on the group’s set lists, even seeing the likes of Joey Ramone, Mudhoney and The Buzzcocks joining them onstage to bash it out through the years while educating fans on the merits of these unsung punk legends and their classic debut Young, Loud And Snotty.

https://youtu.be/iEU7S-6MfIg

“I Believe In Miracles” by The Ramones
Perhaps the most contradictory friendship rock ‘n’ roll had ever seen was the one between Eddie Vedder and Johnny Ramone.

On one side you have a guy who blessed George W. Bush during the Ramones’ induction into the Hall, on the other stands a man who wrote one of the most scathing takedowns of Dubya with “Bu$hleaguer” off 2002’s Riot Act LP. Regardless of his political affiliations, Vedder returned the camaraderie in kind, even giving a eulogy at the guitarist’s funeral.

When it came to choosing a Ramones song to cover, Pearl Jam chose one of the great dark horses in the Ramones’ catalog in the lead single from their last true classic LP in 1989’s Brain Drain. The acoustic rendition of “I Believe In Miracles” from Pearl Jam’s Live at Benaroya Hall brings out the brilliance of Dee Dee Ramone’s underrated songwriting chops better than the original itself.

Comments

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    The headline should read "Pearl Jam Belongs In The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" instead.
  • Options
    No explanation was even needed.
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455

No explanation was even needed.

Tru dat
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,808
    They do so many other great covers as well . They could actually do a show just with cover s alone and it could be a triple album

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Put The Replacements and Bad Brains in. Then i'll consider the RnR HOF a legit organization
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I remember that article. To be fair, if I was structuring an essay on why PJ should get in, I wouldn't make 100% of my essay on the fact they do awesome covers... lol. They should be inducted on the merit of their originals :)

There's lots of great cover bands out there. There's only one Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Thanks for the thoughtful post Demetriios...agree with how the band inspired many people to delve into past rock history. For me the introduction to Neil young through mirrorball , although aware of him, never checked out his music, now must own nearly all his records! I think pearl jam are very deserving of this induction and for anyone who's attended a pearl jam show know the fans have played there part too in creating amazing moments... Social media sometimes lacks respect and manners...and it's a shame that everything's overanalysed....it's all about the live show. And with that alone they deserve recognition.