Options

Congrats to PJ On Their Rock Hall Induction

pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
Pearl Jam has been my favorite band since elementary school when I "permanently borrowed" my sister's copy of Ten. I've seen them live over 20 times and made friends from around the globe at their shows. I've been fortunate enough to meet Eddie twice and Mike once, and to have received many pics and a tambourine from said band members. Pearl Jam are more than 5 (6 if you count Boom, which I do) guys who write and play great rock music. Through the years they've also proven to be one of the most generous bands on the planet by donating countless millions to numerous charitable organizations, some of which were started by the members themselves. They continue to use their music as a platform to encourage social change in the hope that one day mankind can get over itself and realize we are all in this thing together and that we can rise above our differences to make a positive impact. They fought against a monopolistic corporate giant in Ticketmaster becauase they believed ticket prices to shows should be lower and that all of their fans should have access to tickets at a reasonable price. They cared more about creating art and remaining uncompromising than winning awards (as evidenced by Eddie's Grammy speech in 1996). They paid tribute to their musical heros throughout the years by playing shows with them and covering their songs. But most of all, it is the music they made together that continues to bring people together and has mamanged to touch the collective soul of several generations. Songs like Alive, Even Flow, Black, Release, State of Love and Trust, Yellow Ledbetter, Daughter, Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, Better Man, Corduroy, In My Tree, Present Tense, Long Road, Given To Fly, Do The Evolution, Light Years, I Am Mine, Inside Job, Just Breathe, and Mind Your Manners and dozens more have literally changed people's lives. The band's songs can make you "smile" laugh, cry, hope, long, take a stand, and especially love. Seeing Pearl Jam live is a unique experience because their particular brand of rock music, which relies on a mix of equal parts classic rock riffs, punk rock attitude, and a singer with the ability to command the attention of an entire arena or baseball stadium, has become more and more rare. Many of their contemporaries in the Seattle scene of the early 90s were unable to weather the storm of unexpected stardom. Although their music remains, the hole left by their absence for the better part of nearly two decades both proves just how amazing it is that Pearl Jam has remained in tact for over 25 years and how sad it is that they are one of only a handful of bands left that we can honestly define as "classic". Pearl Jam's live shows incorporate all the best live elements of rock n'roll performers of the past. They have Townshend windmills, Springsteen leaning poses, drum solos that would make Keith Moon and John Bonham proud, and guitar solos right out of the Hendrix playbook but somehow Pearl Jam has the uncanny ability to make these things all their own while on stage. Thank you Pearl Jam for not taking the easy route to the Rock Hall and for continuing to stand up against injustice and for making music that brings people together in celebration. You deserve this recognition. We are all still alive tonight, and some of us have you're music to thank for that. Cheers and keep on rocking in the free world.
Virginia Beach 2000
DC 2003
DC 2004 (VFC)
DC 2006
Pittsburgh 2006
Bonnaroo 2008
Virginia Beach 2008
DC 2008
Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
PJ 20 night 1
PJ 20 night 2