Options

Which Bands Have Been Influenced By Pearl Jam?

2»

Comments

• Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126

Nobody new/young bands rock nowadays. Its all computers. You dont see a band come out with guitars and drums and play rock and roll.

Seriously?
    Seriously. What do you hear on the radio that would fall into the category of "new" "young" "good" bands that can seriously play rock and roll? By "good", I mean bands that the common public would perceive as worth buying (Itunes/Charts). After the 90s, you had bands like System of a Down, Disturbed, Incubus ect in the 2000s. All sold many records, all play musical instruments ect. Who the hell is out there now? Not trying to be a smart ass. I dont know, maybe I am just stuck in an old generation
    I honestly have no idea what they play on the radio these days and I couldn't give a crap about "Itunes/Charts". Most bands that are "good" don't care about the charts either. There are tons of bands out there playing good rock 'n roll. Your idea of "good" and what is "rock 'n roll" can completely differ from my idea. I'm not a fan of the bands you mentioned. I'm also "old generation", I just love music and seek out new music every day. You just gotta search. Bandcamp is a good source. Also, once you find a good youtube video channel you can discover lots of new stuff. It almost leads you into a rabbit hole. I get surprised almost every day by new bands.
    I hear ya. I guess Im just not used to having to search for good music. Usually comes to me or I hear about it through the grapevine.

Yeah, all the stuff in the charts and radio is generally crap, in my opinion. But, it's actually gotten a lot easier to find music with this whole internet thing. I think that's why I have even more of a new music record buying problem than before. Back when I was a kid it was trust a review in a music zine, hear it at the store, see it on Mtv, or just take a chance on a cool looking album cover.

If you're into the Seattle sound, Gozu does more of a Soundgarden/AIC than PJ thing. The album took a few listens, but it's really grown on me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LNW4R32ctg
    There is so much good new music out there, but as others have said, you need to search for it. I barely touch the radio, but am listening to new music every week. Just as an example, I go through a lot of the new release albums through Apple Music (or spotify etc) every Friday when they are released (its Friday in Oz) and have a look and then a listen to those that I think will interest me. There are also suggestions on those streaming providers off what you have previously listened/liked. Some suggestions are shite, but its a great way to see what's around

I'm also a HUGE believer in checking out support bands at the gigs you go to. I can't recall ever not having watched the support act, and whilst some have definitely been terrible, I have founds some of my favourite artists through this. I discovered the Australian band Gang of Youths (check them out!!!) through Chris Cornell's solo tour. Their lead singer did a solo support of Cornell. I wen home and bought their album that night and have now seen the band live as well - GREAT show

It's out there, it's just commercial radio is shite, so you don't hear it unless you look for it
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    For sure Linkin Park were influenced by Pearl Jam. The whole nu metal thing started because of the rock-rap crossover album that came from the Judgement night soundtrack in the late 1990s of which Pearl Jam played a part.
    Plus Linkin Park also release their concert bootlegs to their fans.

Others I can think of are: Kings of Leon, The Black Keys and Zac Brown Band.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    igotid88 said:

I'm sure a lot of bands and or singers have been influenced by PJ. Just cause they don't have the same sound or sing like Eddie doesn't mean they weren't influenced.

For the purposes of this discussion it means exactly that.
    stones said:

The whole nu metal thing started because of the rock-rap crossover album that came from the Judgement night soundtrack in the late 1990s of which Pearl Jam played a part.

Nah...I would say mostly Rage and to a lesser extent bands like Faith No More and RHCP were big springboards for the crossover.

Not denying that PJ influenced nu metal bands, but I'd look at bands that did some rocking and rapping together before I looked at a soundtrack for a movie that no one remembers.
  • Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    edited October 2016
    DewieCox said:

Not denying that PJ influenced nu metal bands, but I'd look at bands that did some rocking and rapping together before I looked at a soundtrack for a movie that no one remembers.

Fair point, It was always a bit of a stretch, purely because Pearl Jam played such a small part in the Judgement Night OST anyway (I think it was mainly Stone, and pretty sure Ed had nothing to do with it). That being said, Limp Bizkit (not Linkin Park) cited it as influential to them. Of course that's not necessarily a positive thing... Being polite, I could never quite understand the popularity of Limp Bizkit myself...
    Post edited by stones on
  • Options
    Ben Harper has said that PJ were a huge influence on him ..
  • Options
    BRWillyBRWilly DC Posts: 70
    I agree that bands have absolutely been inspired by PJ. The reason I came looking for a discussion like this one, and I think a similar issue the op was having, is I'm having a hard time finding current bands out there that seem specifically inspired by PJ in sound, stealing riffs, the mix etc. In the way that I hear a huge mix of classic rock and punk in PJ's own unique sound, I don't hear as much PJ in sound of too many new bands. That being said, maybe I don't get out there enough and just listen to hours and hours of live boots all day hahaha. Any recommendations of other PJ-inspired bands are always welcome.
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    Boston 5/17/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philadelphia 4/29/16 (TEN)
    Fenway Park 8/5/16
    Fenway Park 9/4/18
    St. Paul 9/2/23

Ev Solo Providence 6/15/11
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    You guys are forgetting about Staind (Aaron Lewis has said PJ influenced them time and time again), 3 Doors Down, and unfortunately Creed and Nickelback. The last two basically ripped off circa Ten Eddie vocals.
  • Options
    Probably one my favorite early 2000s bands, Lifehouse. I remember there being a lot of slack thrown at them for being a Pearl Jam knock off, but I've honestly never heard it.
    Great band though.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Linkin Park openly said that PJ influenced them greatly. Same with Taking Back Sunday, Incubus, Staind, John Mayer. Im just naming post-2000 bands. U may hate them but its interesting how different each group sounds.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,277
    Candlebox, Live & Modest Mouse
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options

Probably one my favorite early 2000s bands, Lifehouse. I remember there being a lot of slack thrown at them for being a Pearl Jam knock off, but I've honestly never heard it.
    Great band though.

Lifehouse was a side stage opener at the first Pearl Jam concert I went to in 2000 (Camden, NJ). Based on that I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of connection. Though I don't think they looked fondly on it since they were playing a side stage.
    YoungJam35
  • Options
    Yeah. I've actually talked to Jason from Lifehouse about that tour. He said they love Pearl Jam and got busted several times trying to get backstage in hopes of meeting the band.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540

Nobody new/young bands rock nowadays. Its all computers. You dont see a band come out with guitars and drums and play rock and roll.

Seriously?
    Who the hell is out there now?
    Ellie Goulding. And that's alright.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Supergrass & The Hives
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,181
    vedpunk said:

You guys are forgetting about Staind (Aaron Lewis has said PJ influenced them time and time again), 3 Doors Down, and unfortunately Creed and Nickelback. The last two basically ripped off circa Ten Eddie vocals.

https://youtu.be/RCrTkr5dp3Q
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    :rofl:
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    No Coder said:

Seriously?
    Seriously. What do you hear on the radio that would fall into the category of "new" "young" "good" bands that can seriously play rock and roll? By "good", I mean bands that the common public would perceive as worth buying (Itunes/Charts). After the 90s, you had bands like System of a Down, Disturbed, Incubus ect in the 2000s. All sold many records, all play musical instruments ect. Who the hell is out there now? Not trying to be a smart ass. I dont know, maybe I am just stuck in an old generation
    I honestly have no idea what they play on the radio these days and I couldn't give a crap about "Itunes/Charts". Most bands that are "good" don't care about the charts either. There are tons of bands out there playing good rock 'n roll. Your idea of "good" and what is "rock 'n roll" can completely differ from my idea. I'm not a fan of the bands you mentioned. I'm also "old generation", I just love music and seek out new music every day. You just gotta search. Bandcamp is a good source. Also, once you find a good youtube video channel you can discover lots of new stuff. It almost leads you into a rabbit hole. I get surprised almost every day by new bands.
    I hear ya. I guess Im just not used to having to search for good music. Usually comes to me or I hear about it through the grapevine.

Yeah, all the stuff in the charts and radio is generally crap, in my opinion. But, it's actually gotten a lot easier to find music with this whole internet thing. I think that's why I have even more of a new music record buying problem than before. Back when I was a kid it was trust a review in a music zine, hear it at the store, see it on Mtv, or just take a chance on a cool looking album cover.

If you're into the Seattle sound, Gozu does more of a Soundgarden/AIC than PJ thing. The album took a few listens, but it's really grown on me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LNW4R32ctg
    There is so much good new music out there, but as others have said, you need to search for it. I barely touch the radio, but am listening to new music every week. Just as an example, I go through a lot of the new release albums through Apple Music (or spotify etc) every Friday when they are released (its Friday in Oz) and have a look and then a listen to those that I think will interest me. There are also suggestions on those streaming providers off what you have previously listened/liked. Some suggestions are shite, but its a great way to see what's around

I'm also a HUGE believer in checking out support bands at the gigs you go to. I can't recall ever not having watched the support act, and whilst some have definitely been terrible, I have founds some of my favourite artists through this. I discovered the Australian band Gang of Youths (check them out!!!) through Chris Cornell's solo tour. Their lead singer did a solo support of Cornell. I wen home and bought their album that night and have now seen the band live as well - GREAT show

It's out there, it's just commercial radio is shite, so you don't hear it unless you look for it
    https://youtu.be/jivhL27QdoY
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,537
    edited December 2016
    Eddie Vedder. Good solo act. Check him out.

Does some spot on covers with a ukulele, too.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options

Seriously?
    The glorious sons play pretty decent rock n roll
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZvsUXaQ4as

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame cites four bands influenced by Pearl Jam:
    Silverchair
    Puddle of Mudd
    The White Stripes
    The Strokes
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ Silverchair and Puddle of Mudd had a couple catchy tunes but the RRHOF putting them in the same sentence as PJ is laughable. 
  • Options
    Cage the elephant, kaleo
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    All of em who ever heard them were
  • Options
    Madrugada