Options

Which Bands Have Been Influenced By Pearl Jam?

I've been thinking about this all day, ever since I heard about the nomination to the HOF. One of the requirements to get in is influence. Sure, Pearl Jam has been influential and innovative with setlists, bootlegs, and the fan club. However, have they been that influential to other bands? All I can think about is a slough of those awful post-grunge bands like Creed or Nickelback that tried to take yarling to a new level. Please set me straight by mentioning some good bands that Pearl Jam has influenced.

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    So influenced AND happen to be a good band?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    OP
    I think the onus is on you to tell us what bands haven't been influenced by Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Gaslight Anthem
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    90% of rock singers from 1995-2005 tried to either emulate Layne or Eddie. They had a huge influence on the industry
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    I thought of a couple. Incubus. St. Vincent.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    Seether
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,286
    Kings of Leon and Band of Horses both had plenty of good things to say after supporting Pearl Jam on tour, does that count?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Kings of Leon and Band of Horses both had plenty of good things to say after supporting Pearl Jam on tour, does that count?

Sure. My Morning Jacket, too.
  • Options
    goldrush said:

goldrush said:

In what way have their sound been influenced by PJ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    They've made their mark as much with image and career path more than anything. Plenty of bands cite them as an influence, but it doesn't always translate to the music and when it does it can often be attributed more to their heroes than PJ themselves.
  • Options
    I remember a while back (not sure if it's still there now) that Dispatch listed Pearl Jam as an inspiration on their FB page.
  • Options
    Strokes
    Sleater Kinney
    Death Cab
    Gaslight
    Fleet Foxes
    Avett
    etc
  • Options
    Elle Goulding
    John Mayer
    etc
  • Options
    rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 974
    Pap said:

Seether

I think he said GOOD bands. Seether is garbage.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Taking back sunday
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    Maroon 5.......ewwww!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,438
    Nobody new/young bands rock nowadays. Its all computers. You dont see a band come out with guitars and drums and play rock and roll.
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896

Nobody new/young bands rock nowadays. Its all computers. You dont see a band come out with guitars and drums and play rock and roll.

Seriously?
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    rbrum7 said:

Pap said:

Seether

I think he said GOOD bands. Seether is garbage.
    One man's opinon
  • Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Seriously?
    Seriously. What do you hear on the radio that would fall into the category of "new" "young" "good" bands that can seriously play rock and roll? By "good", I mean bands that the common public would perceive as worth buying (Itunes/Charts). After the 90s, you had bands like System of a Down, Disturbed, Incubus ect in the 2000s. All sold many records, all play musical instruments ect. Who the hell is out there now? Not trying to be a smart ass. I dont know, maybe I am just stuck in an old generation
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
  • Options

Seriously?
    Seriously. What do you hear on the radio that would fall into the category of "new" "young" "good" bands that can seriously play rock and roll? By "good", I mean bands that the common public would perceive as worth buying (Itunes/Charts). After the 90s, you had bands like System of a Down, Disturbed, Incubus ect in the 2000s. All sold many records, all play musical instruments ect. Who the hell is out there now? Not trying to be a smart ass. I dont know, maybe I am just stuck in an old generation
    I honestly have no idea what they play on the radio these days and I couldn't give a crap about "Itunes/Charts". Most bands that are "good" don't care about the charts either. There are tons of bands out there playing good rock 'n roll. Your idea of "good" and what is "rock 'n roll" can completely differ from my idea. I'm not a fan of the bands you mentioned. I'm also "old generation", I just love music and seek out new music every day. You just gotta search. Bandcamp is a good source. Also, once you find a good youtube video channel you can discover lots of new stuff. It almost leads you into a rabbit hole. I get surprised almost every day by new bands.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444

goldrush said:

goldrush said:

Do they need to sound like the bands they are influenced by?
  • Options

Seriously?
    I honestly have no idea what they play on the radio these days and I couldn't give a crap about "Itunes/Charts". Most bands that are "good" don't care about the charts either. There are tons of bands out there playing good rock 'n roll. Your idea of "good" and what is "rock 'n roll" can completely differ from my idea. I'm not a fan of the bands you mentioned. I'm also "old generation", I just love music and seek out new music every day. You just gotta search. Bandcamp is a good source. Also, once you find a good youtube video channel you can discover lots of new stuff. It almost leads you into a rabbit hole. I get surprised almost every day by new bands.
    I hear ya. I guess Im just not used to having to search for good music. Usually comes to me or I hear about it through the grapevine.
  • Options
    rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 974

Seriously?
    Trying to help here, not be a jerk....But the problem is that you're looking for it on the radio. If you're talking about what they play on the radio, then I 100% agree with your statement.

My cup of tea is much heavier music (like in the hardcore or prog metal genre) and there are amazing bands out there who play that type of music. But I still think if your cup of tea is just good ol' rock and roll (wow, I sound like Bob Seger, ha), you can find what you're looking for outside of the radio platform.

Even on Sirius/XM Radio you would find a lot of good bands that are newer. Try like AltNation or a college radio centered channel.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Jack White..not publically i don't think..but I bet pj had influenced him in some way..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options

Seriously?
    I hear ya. I guess Im just not used to having to search for good music. Usually comes to me or I hear about it through the grapevine.

Yeah, all the stuff in the charts and radio is generally crap, in my opinion. But, it's actually gotten a lot easier to find music with this whole internet thing. I think that's why I have even more of a new music record buying problem than before. Back when I was a kid it was trust a review in a music zine, hear it at the store, see it on Mtv, or just take a chance on a cool looking album cover.

If you're into the Seattle sound, Gozu does more of a Soundgarden/AIC than PJ thing. The album took a few listens, but it's really grown on me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LNW4R32ctg
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options

goldrush said:

goldrush said:

You bring up a good point. I know My Morning Jacket has been influenced by PJ with their setlists, bootlegs, and the fan club. However, I'm not sure they've been musically influenced by them. I detect similar 1970s influences in MMJ's music that Pearl Jam is also influenced by.

I just feel that Pearl Jam's musical influence hasn't been that great on the industry. I feel it is too soon to even be thinking about such things. Everything I've seen and heard in the media suggests that Pearl Jam is a surefire first ballot hall-of-famer, but I haven't seen much discussion why that is the case.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Wma31394 said:

Jack White..not publically i don't think..but I bet pj had influenced him in some way..

I agree. I got to see Dead Weather play before Pearl Jam at ACL 2009. Ed said during the encore that" Dead Weather was fucking bad ass." They also jammed with Jack at the third man records show on this past tour.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,406
    I'm sure a lot of bands and or singers have been influenced by PJ. Just cause they don't have the same sound or sing like Eddie doesn't mean they weren't influenced.
    I miss igotid88