Options

Poster Question: What levels of humidity are okay for framed posters?

mcrieckenmcriecken Indiana Posts: 265
Hi All -

I did some quick searching on the internet and found differing opinions. What seems to be the biggest culprit to damaged art is significant fluctuations in temperatures and humidity levels. I'm wanting to hang my PJ posters in my basement and, while temps/humidity don't fluctuate that much, I'm wondering if the humidity levels will be okay for the long term. I keep a dehumidifier running which keeps the humidity level around 45%. If the dehumidifier is off, levels rise up to around 60%. I generally keep it running unless it needs to be cleaned, which happens once a month or so. Are these humidity levels okay for framed posters? Have any of you experienced issues hanging your posters in basements? Is there anything else I should consider? Thanks!
St. Louis, USA 10-05-2004 | Chicago, USA 08-23-2009 | Indianapolis, USA 05-07-2010 | Hartford, USA 10-25-2013 | Lexington, USA 04-26-2016 | Chicago, USA 08-20-2016 | Chicago, USA 08-22-2016 | Chicago, USA 08-18-2018 | Chicago, USA 08-20-2018
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    If you run a dehumidifier, they'll be fine.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Moisture is the enemy, it promotes mold growth. If you keep the dhumid on when needed they should be okay. Finished basent or unfinished? Floor drains? Sump pit? All those are factors in moisture. Bathrooms are the worst place followed by a window area that blares sun on the print. Mold sucks as it gradually builds up and you sometimes don't notice until too late
  • Options
    mcrieckenmcriecken Indiana Posts: 265
    hrd2imgn said:

Moisture is the enemy, it promotes mold growth. If you keep the dhumid on when needed they should be okay. Finished basent or unfinished? Floor drains? Sump pit? All those are factors in moisture. Bathrooms are the worst place followed by a window area that blares sun on the print. Mold sucks as it gradually builds up and you sometimes don't notice until too late

It's in a finished basement. There is a sump pit but it's in its own room. There is also a radon pump pulling from that same room so I think that helps to keep the moisture down in that particular room. No bathrooms in the basement so that is a plus. Overall, the basement doesn't seem to have any moisture problems, I've never noticed mold or anything on the walls, closets, etc. Was just concerned of the effects it might have on poster paper since the humidity levels can get to around 60%.
    St. Louis, USA 10-05-2004 | Chicago, USA 08-23-2009 | Indianapolis, USA 05-07-2010 | Hartford, USA 10-25-2013 | Lexington, USA 04-26-2016 | Chicago, USA 08-20-2016 | Chicago, USA 08-22-2016 | Chicago, USA 08-18-2018 | Chicago, USA 08-20-2018