Options

Eddie Vedder's Out of Sand in Twin Peaks. RSD Soundtrack Picture Disc Release

Comments

• Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    I just want to talk real quick about the power of Pearl Jam (some minor Twin Peaks spoilers). This whole ordeal of Ed being involved in the new Twin Peaks started what? Almost 2 years ago now? Because of his inclusion I did a little research and learned about how insanely influential the original show was and how it's considered to be The Godfather of this golden age of television that we're living through. About a year ago I watched the pilot with my girlfriend and she wasn't into it at all and it didn't particularly grab my attention either, so I sort of gave up on it.

Then as the new season was getting closer and you guys were hyping Out of Sand on here more and more, I figured I'd give it another shot. And oh man am I happy I did, I was enthralled with everything about the show, mesmerized by the mystery and stylization, laughed out loud at coffee and pie jokes and Albert insults, captivated by Kyle's performance as perhaps the greatest character in the history of TV, frustrated with the lack of explanations. I watched both seasons in about a week and added Fire Walk With Me.

Then I watched the new series every week. It was strange, even though I didn't have to wait 25 years like many viewers, I still felt that impact, I felt like I had waited a quarter of a century even though it was only a few days for me. Once again I loved it, episode 8 was one of the most awesome TV experiences ever, I was filled with joy when agent Cooper returned in episode 16 and was yelling at the TV as the show ended with more questions than the first time it ended 25 years ago, only to realize a while later that it couldn't and shouldn't have ended any other way. 

Watching Twin Peaks was one of the greatest entertainment experiences of my life, and were it not for Eddie Vedder, it never would have been on my radar. His inclusion had nothing whatsoever to do with how much I loved the show, but it opened that door, and that is one of the many powers of Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    Great Song!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    i hope the band releases the studio version on 7". or digitally, without having to buy an entire record of other stuff. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    igotid88 said:
    RiotZact said:
    igotid88 said:
    raindog80 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Out today. It's the performance from the show
    http://amzn.to/2qcMNoC

Not true, it's the studio version.
    it sounds the same
    I'm pretty sure the "performance" isn't actually a performance. The words/lips look really good but if you watch closely the guitar playing is pretty off looking at times.
    he probably played it a few times. And they used the best one.
    No way, it's a flawless performance and the voice is too loud and echoing.
    When Ed plays a song like that live, the guitar is always proportionally louder than his voice, because he hits the E and A strings pretty hard, I love that about his solo work.
    If it is a "live" performance, they tweaked it enough to take that distinction away.

If you listen to the different versions on YouTube you will probably hear the difference.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Absolutely love this song, near obsession for the wife and I.
    Really hope he plays it at B&B fest.

May have to break my own rules and make a sign...

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    rgambs said:
    Absolutely love this song, near obsession for the wife and I.
    Really hope he plays it at B&B fest.

May have to break my own rules and make a sign...

PM'd you a version you may like
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    not going to buy the album for one song.  any other way to hear it?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,409
    ComeToTX said:
    not going to buy the album for one song.  any other way to hear it?
    this is the closest.
    https://youtu.be/WJHM4w_TD28
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Just purchased it. It's a STUDIO solo acoustic recording. Beautiful and haunting. Deserves to be on a solo LP and 7". Definitely worth getting. Post-ITW sound. 
  • Options
    I don't think it sounds like ITW at all.  
  • Options
    That's why I said "post" ITW, smart guy. As in, after. 
  • Options
    in fairness to gambs, when you say "post-"something, it infers it is similar to that which came before it. like "post-punk" or "post-grunge". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ed acoustic songs are usually my bread and butter, but I just can't relate to this song like others. Maybe it's too abstract for me now lyrically. The strumming pattern throws me off too at times. It's definitely decent, but it is no Thumbing My Way or Guaranteed that guts me emotionally. 
  • Options
    There have been others who have made the comparison.
    I can see why, but I don't hear it.
    I'm not sure what I do hear though.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    rgambs said:
    There have been others who have made the comparison.
    I can see why, but I don't hear it.
    I'm not sure what I do hear though.

It's different that is for sure. I can't really compare it to any of his other work solo or with PJ and I like that a lot. 
  • Options
    I was just now thinking halfway between Dead Man and Sirens.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I can't really think of anything that Ed wrote that I can point to and say that this song certainly comes from the other. Chord wise, it's very much an Ed song. Nothing terribly difficult to play. After a couple more listens I think it's in the odd timing on some of the strumming that makes it feel unfamiliar. Ed is usually pretty "by the book" with his timing, but this is not typical. Also, lyrically it's reminiscent of Unthought Known (perhaps my least favorite song) with his abstract it is. The lyrics take some thought to decipher. 
    Overall, it's okay. It's not my favorite musically or lyrically, but it's still a new Ed song and I'll always look forward to them as long as he wants to release them. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I can't really think of anything that Ed wrote that I can point to and say that this song certainly comes from the other. Chord wise, it's very much an Ed song. Nothing terribly difficult to play. After a couple more listens I think it's in the odd timing on some of the strumming that makes it feel unfamiliar. Ed is usually pretty "by the book" with his timing, but this is not typical. Also, lyrically it's reminiscent of Unthought Known (perhaps my least favorite song) with his abstract it is. The lyrics take some thought to decipher. 
    Overall, it's okay. It's not my favorite musically or lyrically, but it's still a new Ed song and I'll always look forward to them as long as he wants to release them. 
    Yeah, this one does it for me but I can see why it might not.
    It's nice to see him taking a more abstract and dark direction than his songs were in the Backspacer/Ukulele Songs/Lightning Bolt era.

I was glad for Ed to be in a good place, but I tend to like melancholy songs.
  • Options
    I guess that more melancholy tone is what reminds people of ITW, but those songs are also intensely celebratory. 
    I don't get that from Out of Sand.
  • Options
    Ed's been pretty hard on religion these last few years.
    Love it.

Would be interesting to know what has been happening in his life that has it in his mind enough to be a theme in several songs.
  • Options
    @ledvedderman
    Never heard of Amos Lee (gonna play B&B fest) so I looked him up and found this song, seems up your alley.  Love it.
    https://youtu.be/Azy-Je4Uhck
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I guess that more melancholy tone is what reminds people of ITW, but those songs are also intensely celebratory. 
    I don't get that from Out of Sand.
    I previously made the comparison to ITW only because of the feeling I got when I heard him sing it in London 2. Kinda like if Long Nights would have lasted one minute more.

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Can I just get the damn song?  F this "Album only" bullshit.
  • Options
    Can I just get the damn song?  F this "Album only" bullshit.
    x100
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,856
    Twin Peaks (Limited Event Series Soundtrack) [SCORE] (Red and Black Splatter 2LP) Available now over @ Amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/Peaks-Limited-Event-Soundtrack-Splatter/dp/B074NLJ3C2

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    It’s on Amazon US as well, but I don’t think it’s a colored LP.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    The splatter is supposed to be indie exclusive, so I wouldn't count on Amazon. Just a heads up!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,856
    The splatter is supposed to be indie exclusive, so I wouldn't count on Amazon. Just a heads up!
    It was available on Amazon USA as well but sold out https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Limited-Exclusive-Colored/dp/B074Q3HG5K

There is also listings on Amazon USA & CDN for the black vinyl too.

• Options
    Sevens was also on Amazon. :)

If Amazon sends it to you, then great! Just letting you know what I read about the colored variants for both the score and the soundtrack being indie exclusive.