Options

No Code Article

2»

Comments

• Options
    ry75guyry75guy Posts: 213
    Great article! Here's another I just saw about the span from 10 to No Code:
    http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/2016/08/28/pearl-jam-how-they-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-their-band/
    Tinley Park, IL 08-02-1992
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-22-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-18-2018
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
    St. Louis, MO 09-18-2022
  • Options
    fgdanzifgdanzi Posts: 136
    Two very cool articles, thank you both for sharing!
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    I remember my friend worked in the entertainment section at Target. They would get advance promo copies. He gave it to me, said he didn't want it. I asked him why and he said he didn't like it. I said thanks and was bummed thinking it wouldn't be any good. Loved this album from the first listen. In My Tree, Lukin, Habit, Hail Hail, and Red Mosquito all blew me away and had me plying the album on repeat. I liked that they went in a new direction. I thought they were growing like the Beatles and Zeppelin. Taking chances and expanding their abilities musically.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    VOLARE said:

I remember my friend worked in the entertainment section at Target. They would get advance promo copies. He gave it to me, said he didn't want it. I asked him why and he said he didn't like it. I said thanks and was bummed thinking it wouldn't be any good. Loved this album from the first listen. In My Tree, Lukin, Habit, Hail Hail, and Red Mosquito all blew me away and had me plying the album on repeat. I liked that they went in a new direction. I thought they were growing like the Beatles and Zeppelin. Taking chances and expanding their abilities musically.

My thoughts exactly!!! This album made me enjoy them even more. It was in a direction that made me think about the songs and lyrics more.

"If I'd had known then what I know now" loved that line.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting, those are some great articles. Two things stuck out to me after reading them:

1) The comment from Jeff about not knowing they had started recording was surprising. I had known there were some issues between Stone & Ed, but didn't realize things were so bad that they could have started recording sessions w/ a key member not even knowing.

2) Jack Irons doesn't get nearly enough credit for the direction this band took in the mid-nineties, or for the fact alone that the band SURVIVED the mid-nineties. Reading some other threads on this forum, one would think Dave A. was the second coming of John Bonham, but IMO JI contributed way more to this band than any other drummer (including Matt Cameron). These articles definitely paint a picture of a band on life support - who knows what would have happened if he didn't get involved again.
  • Options
    EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    great read
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415

Thanks for posting, those are some great articles. Two things stuck out to me after reading them:

1) The comment from Jeff about not knowing they had started recording was surprising. I had known there were some issues between Stone & Ed, but didn't realize things were so bad that they could have started recording sessions w/ a key member not even knowing.

2) Jack Irons doesn't get nearly enough credit for the direction this band took in the mid-nineties, or for the fact alone that the band SURVIVED the mid-nineties. Reading some other threads on this forum, one would think Dave A. was the second coming of John Bonham, but IMO JI contributed way more to this band than any other drummer (including Matt Cameron). These articles definitely paint a picture of a band on life support - who knows what would have happened if he didn't get involved again.

Jack Irons is so important to the evolution of this band...such a big part of the unique tribal feel of No Code and Yield. Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy would have still been made with or without Dave A.
    I would have not been as fanatical about this band for all these years without No Code, Yield, and Jack Irons.

• Options
    jp307677 said:

Jack Irons is so important to the evolution of this band...such a big part of the unique tribal feel of No Code and Yield. Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy would have still been made with or without Dave A.
    I would have not been as fanatical about this band for all these years without No Code, Yield, and Jack Irons.

100% agree with every thing you said. VS & Vitalogy were going to happen anyway, but JI saved this band from themselves.