Options

Bonnaroo 2016: How security helped Pearl Jam superfans after storm

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2016/06/11/bonnaroo-2016-pearl-jam-fans-line-up-14-hours-before-show/85752206/

Fourteen hours. Fourteen long, hot hours.

That's how long Kris Willis was willing to sit and wait for a chance to get into the pit at Saturday night's Pearl Jam show.

The 41-year-old from Georgia hunkered down at 8 a.m. under a small bit of shade outside the stage gates — first in line for tonight's headlining show at Bonnaroo's biggest stage, scheduled for 10:15 p.m.

It's one of the cool perks at Bonnaroo. Get in line, get a chance to see the show nearly within reach of the stage. It can be an experience of a lifetime, if you are willing to put in the time.

Fans often stand in line for hours for a chance to get that close. But only a limited number get into the pit, so you have to get their early. Then you spend the day just sitting around and waiting. Bonnaroo opens the gates to the What Stage at noon. Then you file forward and wait in another line.

The good news is, by mid-afternoon there's music to listen to while you wait. The bad news, you are waiting, and waiting, and waiting. No bathroom stops, unless you make friends with someone in line willing to hold your spot. No food runs, unless someone brings you a snack. And no air conditioning.

On Saturday, the worst news arrived, completely unexpected — a storm warning hit Manchester and the Bonnaroo grounds were evacuated.

Pearl Jam fans like Willis, who had been waiting in line as many as 14 hours to get into the pit for the show, experienced a soul-crushing reality.

The line broke apart, and their carefully held spot was lost.

There was no good system to keep the order when everyone was ordered to leave The main stage area and the shows were suspended.

Some Pearl Jam fans who had been there since as early as 8 a.m. may have gotten a number written on their hands. Others were told a password by security onsite. The security guards also took pictures of a few faces, and they are relying on their memory to recognize those who had been there the longest.

This all according to Bonnaroo security guard Marlon Joyner.

He stood near the pit gates to the right of the stage as the grounds reopened.

"Macklemore pit, walk down," he told festival goers returning to the main stage. "Keep going.

"Pearl jam pit, stay right here."

A crowd of nearly 1,000 huddled together outside the gates area waiting to hear what would happen next.

"Back up," Joyner said. "Don't be rude."

When Macklemore started its show, Joyner started accepting passwords.

"I remember you," he said to brothers Nick and Jack Miller, who got in line at 6:30 p.m. "You got the password. Get in line."

The brothers were relieved.

RELATED:Fans react to the Bonnaroo 'drizzle of 2016'

When the storm hit, "we didn't want to move," Nick said. "We had to be forcefully forced out."

Get your subscription for as low as
$9.99/6 MO
for a LIMITED TIME only
UNLOCK MY $9.99 OFFER
Added Jack: "We're here now so it worked out."

It also worked out for a few Macklemore fans, who easily entered the pit area after the storm. No line. No wait.

"We just got good," said Nashvillian Miranda Berlin as she breezed into the pit.

As Macklemore took the stage a cry rose out: "We survived the lightning."

Some happier than others.

At 8 a.m., well before the storm ever appeared on Tennessee radar, Willis felt the wait was worth it.

This is his second trip to Bonnaroo, he also came in 2008 when Pearl Jam played here. It will be his sixth Pearl Jam show.

The pit?

"I've never done that," he said. "So I thought I would try."
Not long after he arrived as first in line, Willis made a new buddy.

Nick Pennock came to Bonnaroo from Detroit. It is the third festival for the 26-year-old, who was first exposed to Pearl Jam by his guitar teacher. The teacher shared music of Mother Love Bone, two of the members of which would eventually form Pearl Jam. Pennock then got a copy of Ten, Pearl Jam's debut album.

A self-professed man of the Napster generation, Pennock downloaded all the band's music and became hooked.

"I appreciate the opportunity to get in front for legends like this," he said, sitting on his blue mat in the spot he took up next to Willis.

And Pennock wasn't just going to get in the pit. He had bigger plans.

"I am trying for the rail," he said with a grin.

Two perfect strangers with one major thing in common — Pearl Jam.

Waiting.

And waiting.

And waiting.

With more than nine hours to go, maybe they will be best friends by the end of the day.

One can imagine they'll be really happy fans.

Update: Pearl Jam fans had to wait even longer, believe it or not, after Bonnaroo shut down all of its stages for more than an hour Saturday evening while a thunderstorm blew through the Manchester area. Pearl Jam's set was pushed to 11:30 p.m.
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    So did he ever get rail?
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Me and my buddy got in line right around 2pm, right before Grace Potter came on. We were on the right side of the stage (if you were looking at it) and about 12 people deep. When the call came that we had to evacuate the area, we were all pretty pissed. None of us wanted to go, but the security guards there wrote #'s on the first few peoples hands, gave us a password and another even took pictures of us on her cell phone for proof that we were there.

When they let everyone back in, it was like black Friday on crack and steroids. Pure pandemonium! but those security guards (Big Mo was one who gave us the password) did a great job. After Macklemore went back on, they sorted us out and had us move up and over to the right of all the others. They didn't have to do that, but really went out of their way to help us out. Unfortunately, when it came time to let us in, there were the line jumpers, but not many. One of the security guys was forced to let a few line jumpers in because everyone surged forward and they had to relieve the bottleneck so people wouldn't get trampled. My buddy made it in in front of me, and I was like 10 people behind them. All of us though that were up there all day ended up either on the rail, or 1 person back in between Stone and Eddie. I think the other side let people in before us, but I wasn't complaining. There was only maybe 15-20ft between us and PJ and 50k people behind us and it was a great show.

I wish I could remember all the security guards names, but they escape me right now, because they were awesome. They went above and beyond for us. they did the best job they could do, given the unfortunate situation, and I applaud them for us. It was a long a tiring day, but well worth it in my opinion. Got a great show (yes, even in spite of all the flubbed lyrics) and met some great people. I hope everyone else there had a great time.
  • Options
    bburg1551bburg1551 Posts: 39
    This article does not begin to describe how awesome both security, but more importantly, the ga line was for this show. Both groups helped make this my greatest concert experience of all time. Standing on the rail right in front of Mike as he shreds the Even Flow solo behind his head is something I'll never forget. I don't know if it was my younger age or whiplash inducing energy, but Mike seemed to really enjoy coming back to me throughout the show. This could just be some of his magic that he does every show, but I've never felt more connected to an artist than I did with Mike that night. This is all thanks to the wonderful group of people I met waiting in line to see the best fucking band on the planet. If you're from that line and you're reading this, thank you. A special thank you goes out to "Coach," Chris, and the entire Eastern Tennessee defensive line (front row/pit line security).
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Roo is the best, well organized festival that I've ever been to.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    Very cool story. Glad it worked out for people up front. Thanks for sharing.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    That's an awesome story. I'd be completely devastated if I were first in line and had to get evacuated. Great job by security
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    Awesome story. Kudos to the Roo security staff.
  • Options
    dpphotodpphoto Posts: 284
    I was in the guest area bleachers and had a great view of the chaos in right-side line after the evac was lifted. It was crazy and people were amped and pushy. The security folks were great. I couldn't hear much of what they were saying but i could see everything they were doing to try and keep people calm and safe. The barricades were getting shoved from all the people trying to push forward. Pretty intense.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    that entire story gave me anxiety and why I will never, ever, I mean ever do a festival again....sounds like security was well organized and that is a bonus. I hope everything worked out for those that waited all day and then were interrupted by the storm.

I think Pearl Jam cursed themselves with naming the last album Lightning Bolt with Wrigley 13 and now Bonnaroo
  • Options
    toronado10toronado10 Posts: 239
    For each band is there a line for getting into the pit? The festivals I've been to its just camping out at the stage all day but this makes it sounds like people waited in a separate area until the PJ show?
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095

For each band is there a line for getting into the pit? The festivals I've been to its just camping out at the stage all day but this makes it sounds like people waited in a separate area until the PJ show?

There are 2 fences. The "pit" is closest to the stage. Lines can form for every band that plays during the day off to the side. The pit is emptied after every set and the new group of fans that waited is allowed to enter to get a really close spot.

Behind the pit/2nd fence is just normal GA, and people can camp out on that fence all day.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I got in line after the evacuation but was way too slow and didn't make it into the pit. Ended up watching with my group on Mike's side. I posted my review in the fanview thread so I won't go into detail here. Bonnaroo is officially my favorite festival
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    HanquanHanquan Indiana Posts: 6
    bburg1551 said:

This article does not begin to describe how awesome both security, but more importantly, the ga line was for this show. Both groups helped make this my greatest concert experience of all time. Standing on the rail right in front of Mike as he shreds the Even Flow solo behind his head is something I'll never forget. I don't know if it was my younger age or whiplash inducing energy, but Mike seemed to really enjoy coming back to me throughout the show. This could just be some of his magic that he does every show, but I've never felt more connected to an artist than I did with Mike that night. This is all thanks to the wonderful group of people I met waiting in line to see the best fucking band on the planet. If you're from that line and you're reading this, thank you. A special thank you goes out to "Coach," Chris, and the entire Eastern Tennessee defensive line (front row/pit line security).

I was in the pit for the show as well. After the rush from the gates, which by the way could have been the scariest but most exhilarating 60 seconds of my life, I managed to be within about the first couple hundred (and I had been waiting there since about 5 so I wasn't cheating anyone out of line). I must have been right behind you because I was within arm's reach of Mike when he came out for the Even Flow solo. I couldn't believe what I was seeing at the time. He was playing eyes closed, behind the back, over the rail, all while some fans were even touching the guitar. I ended up getting one of his picks (he tossed some out). Greatest show of my life. Made some good friends there as well.
    Lexington 4/26/16
    Manchester 6/11/16