Options

A Generation Has Passed Since 9/11

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

A generation of search and rescue dogs, that is. This is the longest surviving search and rescue dog from Ground Zero, Bretagne, walking into the vet for the final time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_pU9YDqQzk

I love dogs, and have read how many of these dogs developed a form of PTSD after 9/11 from not being able to find anyone alive. Which to me means, if they're developing PTSD from it, they must have cared a great deal about trying to save as many lives as possible.

Just seems like, since they gave a crap, we should give a crap about them, you know?

Happy Tuesday everyone I had to take a walk along the beach this morning barefooted something I'm not supposed do (major ankle/foot surgery) but I just felt I had to be one with father earth. More later.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Comments

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    We can't even give a shit about the humans that worked down there. It's going to be tough to get people to give a shit about the rescue dogs.

I agree with you.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,562
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for posting this.

I was working near the Pentagon that day and have very vivid memories of what happened.

Got to meet some of the rescue dogs and their handlers in the days afterward as they were being housed in one of the hotels near my office near the Pentagon. This also included some of the dogs that had heen at ground zero.

Made sure to give the dogs hugs and/or shakes and to thank the handlers for their efforts.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh man, I don't think I can watch the video, g. I'm a sucker for dogs, especially rescuers...and rescues. They're incredibly intuitive and despite what they've experienced, so strong and resilient.

Bless those pooches, as well as the others who have suffered PTSD whether at the hands of man or of nature.

Thanks for posting this - and easy on the ankle!
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    hedonist said:

Oh man, I don't think I can watch the video, g. I'm a sucker for dogs, especially rescuers...and rescues. They're incredibly intuitive and despite what they've experienced, so strong and resilient.

Bless those pooches, as well as the others who have suffered PTSD whether at the hands of man or of nature.

I had the very same hesitancy but I clicked on it, just had to do it and it wasn't that bad. Unlike something I watched two days ago that just crushed me about 9/11. It brought back ALL the memories of that dreadful day. Hard to believe that its going on 15 years already.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    edited June 2016
    When I first started teaching it was really powerful to hear an 8th graders point of view about what happened. Now all my 8th graders were born in 01 an 02 so they have zero memories of that terrible day. I did have a few students this year who were named after people who were killed in the towers.
    it's so hard to believe it's been 15 years...
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ^^^
    Teacher....
    Such a thankless job.
    I thank you for your hard work. It must be very frustrating to teach children not to forget what happened before they were born.
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    g under p said:

hedonist said:

I had the very same hesitancy but I clicked on it, just had to do it and it wasn't that bad. Unlike something I watched two days ago that just crushed me about 9/11. It brought back ALL the memories of that dreadful day. Hard to believe that its going on 15 years already.

Peace

This was a great post. I hate to think of any dogs final visit but it was touching to see the honor the dog was given and it was apparent the dog was struggling to move easily. I believe 9/11 was the defining event of the generation of us PJ fans about the same age as the band members. My parents always said how they remembered being in school and hearing the President announce the attack at Pearl Harbor and America was declaring war on Japan and Germany. The next generation had the shooting of JFK in Dallas and remember where they were and how the news kept unfolding on television. I still remember how horribly unbelievable it was watching the coverage seeing the towers fall then hearing about the Pentagon being hit then the plane going down in Pennsylvania. It changed our nation forever. What I find hard to deal with is how all this soulless slaughter of people continues in our country, Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
  • Options

^^^
    Teacher....
    Such a thankless job.
    I thank you for your hard work. It must be very frustrating to teach children not to forget what happened before they were born.

thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I have recently started university studies as a mature age and the students that are right out of high school have no memories of 9/11. Makes me feel older.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

I have recently started university studies as a mature age and the students that are right out of high school have no memories of 9/11. Makes me feel older.

It's been 15 years. Freshmen in college would have been 3 or 4. They shouldn't have memories of 9/11.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628
    edited June 2016
    I don't think it's a problem or weird or anything else that there are now people who weren't alive or weren't old enough to remember 9/11. Most of us aren't old enough to remember Vietnam, but that doesn't mean we don't have a good understanding of the impact it had or the issues connected to it that still endure.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    it's one of those moments in time that I can remember where I was and what I was doing.

Godfather.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628
    edited June 2016

it's one of those moments in time that I can remember where I was and what I was doing.

Godfather.

Pretty sure everyone feels the same, and there aren't too many moments like that I guess. I remember the bus driver on my way up to work, maybe 45 minutes after the 2nd tower fell, pulled over to the side of the road and held 3 minutes of silence.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Pretty sure everyone feels the same, and there aren't too many moments like that I guess. I remember the bus driver on my way up to work, maybe 45 minutes after the 2nd tower fell, pulled over to the side of the road and held 3 minutes of silence.
    my parents tell me they remember all the details of what they were doing when JFK was killed, I guess this one is ours.

Godfather.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

my parents tell me they remember all the details of what they were doing when JFK was killed, I guess this one is ours.

Godfather.

Pearl Harbor rounds out the top three.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Well it's official...Obama will be maintaining troop levels in Afganistan through the end of his Administration. The war continues.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    BS44325 said:

Well it's official...Obama will be maintaining troop levels in Afganistan through the end of his Administration. The war continues.

Says the constant defender of Halliburton Dubya. Cool political high jacking, brah.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Pearl Harbor rounds out the top three.
    yes sir.

Godfather.