Options

Greenville FlacHD sounds great

Comments

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited May 2016

Tiki said:

My Hampton FLAC HD is without issue.

No static on Sad at all? Have you tried it through various sources (speakers, other headphones)?
    I have headphoned it (sennheiser 280 pro). I use the Ponoworld program or just WinAMP to play FLACs on my Windows work machine, and I had it at full volume, and I've listened to it several times, zero crackling zero static-y shit... I have not played it on the big boy stereo in the other room. I downloaded the files one at a time using that POS nugs program after buying it directly from the store.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Thank you all for the input. Maybe it's an encoding error on 10cs end with the conversion to MP3? I'll try to redownload and maybe buy the flac versions. If anyone could just send me a FLAC version of Sad from Hampton, and I'll compare to my MP3. If the flac has no static while the MP3 does, then we can contact 10c.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    WMA sounds fantastic. They should play it way more often then they do.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    The crowd sounds really loud, everyone I have heard from that attended, says it was an awesome show
  • Options
    dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    Crowd energy is fantastic during Vs run. Great listen and glad i'll have this to relive on demand.
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 912
    What is the best version to download if you are going to primarily listed to the boot through iPhone/ Bluetooth speakers. thanks in advance.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,147
    Listening to the MP3 version of Greenville - no issues through STBC.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    wbutler29 said:

What is the best version to download if you are going to primarily listed to the boot through iPhone/ Bluetooth speakers. thanks in advance.

mp3
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    This is my go-to bootleg at the moment. The Vs. run is stellar, and the rest is a solid fit. I'm super happy with this one. This will stay on the Pono for some time. Got it cranked at the moment on the home stereo (Cayin tube amp, DALI Zensor 3 bookshelf's), sounds so solid!
  • Options
    NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291

Thank you all for the input. Maybe it's an encoding error on 10cs end with the conversion to MP3? I'll try to redownload and maybe buy the flac versions. If anyone could just send me a FLAC version of Sad from Hampton, and I'll compare to my MP3. If the flac has no static while the MP3 does, then we can contact 10c.

All the conversions are done through nugs. PJ will upload the tracked out flac files and nugs processes them to be posted.

I hear a little bit of static on Let The Records play

2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

PMed with a HDFLAC link
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Still not hearing any static on the big stereo. Probably only noticeable on a set of cans in a critical listening environment.
    Post edited by AAJC on
  • Options
    Ok guys, I've compared the HD Flac, courtesy of Tiki (thanks again), to my MP3 of Sad from Hampton 16. Interestingly enough I can hear the exact same "static/distortion" on both formats. This is very odd and not what I anticipated. I'm guessing this form of distortion is in fact a source recording error and at a frequency some just are not hearing for whatever reason. It could be due to different levels of hearing ability, loss, or even differences in audio systems presenting the distortion.

I've tried Gville and Hampton on a handful of audio sources, compared flac to MP3, and I hear the same static. It is far from severe and it's not that noticeable but it's there. It's generally caused when there is a burst of bass or volume, as in case of Long Road and Sad on Hampton, Matt's toms are full of volume and low end, I believe it was too much for the recording device to somehow capture clearly. PJ on overload, baby! I'm purely guessing as to why, but it's most likely an issue across all audio format sources.

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options

Ok guys, I've compared the HD Flac, courtesy of Tiki (thanks again), to my MP3 of Sad from Hampton 16. Interestingly enough I can hear the exact same "static/distortion" on both formats. This is very odd and not what I anticipated. I'm guessing this form of distortion is in fact a source recording error and at a frequency some just are not hearing for whatever reason. It could be due to different levels of hearing ability, loss, or even differences in audio systems presenting the distortion.

I've tried Gville and Hampton on a handful of audio sources, compared flac to MP3, and I hear the same static. It is far from severe and it's not that noticeable but it's there. It's generally caused when there is a burst of bass or volume, as in case of Long Road and Sad on Hampton, Matt's toms are full of volume and low end, I believe it was too much for the recording device to somehow capture clearly. PJ on overload, baby! I'm purely guessing as to why, but it's most likely an issue across all audio format sources.

PJ overload! Yes!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Just to clarify, I have listened to the mp3 and hdflac (through winamp without compression) of Sad from Hampton with cheap Skullcandy iems, then with high quality $160 Dunu DN1000 hybrid iems, and a stock 2008 honda car stereo. I can hear the same static on both formats (mp3 and flac) with all the audio systems tried. To those who cannot hear it, I am happy for you. Luckily its not too bad.

• Options
    gbgb Posts: 53
    I just have the mp3s and sad sounds like nothing but static. So disappointed
  • Options
    In my tree on Hampton boot is the same, the static is awful. The main set didn't have it as bad, but the first encore is bathed in static. Damn.

• Options
    So much for thinking the static wasn't that bad, it just got worse. Greenville boot really didn't have as much distortion as Hampton boot does

• Options
    Seems to only show up during Ed's vocals on those songs Tama.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Seems to only show up during Ed's vocals on those songs Tama.

Yeah, thankfully it's only discerning on Sad and IMT I think. The other times I've noticed it on VA was far more subtle. Could be worse, and I'm glad the mix is strong. It seems if you use a bass heavy system with less sparkly treble, then it's not as noticeable. Accurate sounding headphones bring it out though. Forgiving, bass heavy ones like skullcandy and stock 2016 iPhone buds cover it up better.

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,470

Your answer makes me love static
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    PJ. turn down the mics people. seems this shit is clipping. should not be happening on recordings from a band like PJ in this year of our lord 2016. who is manning the fucking soundboard?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

PJ. turn down the mics people. seems this shit is clipping. should not be happening on recordings from a band like PJ in this year of our lord 2016. who is manning the fucking soundboard?

I concur, it seems like clipping.

• Options
    KCjamKCjam Posts: 135
    Lifted said:

It's very noticeable on mine. Like i said, most of it sounds good. Just some periods of 2 or 3 songs in the second encore i believe on both the hampton and greenville bootlegs. Perhaps you missed those parts, or maybe i should try redownloading. It's certainly obnoxious though, and im far from an audio snob, so im not just nitpicking.

As far as what issues they are having, i have no idea, and i really dont know if they would be fixable either.

I hear you (No pun) really. I Have been collecting the official boots since 2000 and have noticed that over the past 2-3 years that the second CD has a lot of static on the first one or two songs. Is that what you are getting?
  • Options
    What song(s) on Greenville clearly have clipping? I've been listening to the Flac-HD files on my Pono (in balanced mode) and I'm not hearing it.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    I noticed what sounded like static as well while Ed was singing on both Ft. L and Miami I believe. I wasn't sure if it was my speakers or what was going on. Anyone else notice it on those boots?
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    RiotAct10 said:

I noticed what sounded like static as well while Ed was singing on both Ft. L and Miami I believe. I wasn't sure if it was my speakers or what was going on. Anyone else notice it on those boots?

I noticed static on the Miami bootleg, both via CD and my Apple lossless rip. The mix is also awful. Waaaaaay too much bass, and Ed's vocals sound low on occasion.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
    What do you guys use to listen to your FLACHD files?
    I have a Mac Blu-Ray Player on my Mac and it sounds amazing but will only play one file, then you have to open the next manually. I tried VOX player but the sound is no comparison.
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    The static is definitely the most noticeable on In My Tree on Hampton. I have noticed very subtle moments in some of the other boots too, but overall have loved the mixes this year. I'm not sure how anyone can't hear the static since it has been noticeable over multiple listening sources for me.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483

What do you guys use to listen to your FLACHD files?
    I have a Mac Blu-Ray Player on my Mac and it sounds amazing but will only play one file, then you have to open the next manually. I tried VOX player but the sound is no comparison.
    Any suggestions?

You're not going to get much of a quality gain if you're using your computer's DAC. There's a lot of electromagnetic interference inside your computer from all the different components that affects the signal. What you need is an external DAC or a dedicated HD player like the Pono or Sony's HD Walkman line.