Options

Best Pearl Jam biography out there?

jadakidjadakid Posts: 64
Did a quick search of threads but didn't see anything. Anyone have recommendations for books on PJ? I'm looking for something to have info that's not widely known (if that's possible at this point), or at least more detail around the things we already know. Open to anything. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited May 2016
    Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder: None Too Fragile...I liked that one...don't know if you're going to get anything out of it you already didn't know

Stay away from 5 Against 1: The Pearl Jam story...some questionable facts in that book
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    yeah, there isn't anything out there that is authorized that is any better than PJ20. The two books mentioned above have some widely circulated yet debunked facts (like where the band name came from, etc).
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jadakidjadakid Posts: 64
    Thanks guys. Read some mixed reviews about both Fragile and 5 v 1. Maybe I'll give one of them a shot.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Didn't a new one just come out? Where's Fyfe at?
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

Didn't a new one just come out? Where's Fyfe at?

I saw some 25 year DVD came out that was unauthorized
    ..Long Strange Road

• Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    I found "5 Against 1" to be quite good overall. Just consider the sources on some of the anecdotes and know that the author had not spoken to the band in years at the time of publication. Recognize the biases and you will find that on the whole it's an OK book.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 403
    A new one did come out- Pearl Jam FAQ. Looks like a new series bc I saw several other bands with the same title. I've gotten a little into it and so far seems good.

Five Against One is ok but take it with a grain of salt, especially the end section about Eddie. PJ 20 is also good but I'm still looking for an objective history. I'm hoping the new book will be one.
  • Options
    Annr95Annr95 Posts: 62
    I read 5 against 1, it was all right for what it was, you just have to realize where it comes from. The language in the beginning was quite snobby and was like the author was trying to sound important. I got none too fragile recently and only read a few pages when basic, easily researchable facts were wrong. I have been slowly making my way through Pearl Jam essential interviews, which is just a bunch of old interviews, but I hadn't read them all so it is interesting. I love the PJ20 book, it's by far the best. It's only problem is that it's so big I have to lay it on something to read and my pages are falling out...
    Who do you think the first band member to write a memoir will be?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ20
    www.cluthelee.com