Options

How often would you like to see Even Flow played?

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
edited April 2016 in The Porch
Most of us like the song, having said that it has been played 793 times & I am sure it is no one's Holy Grail song. My thought would be every 5th show or so, play another song that has a long epic solo and jam for the band to go off on, it would be a way to introduce more songs into the setlists.

How often would you like to see Even Flow played? 133 votes

10% of the shows
14%
my_waveHopperjasonwmrluthor9realisthisMUZIKpjsycocoach pjfoodboynocode85SM15354CS135344GP179117jstu39SputNickSugar-MagnoliaarmmargoingonsixPJ_Soul 19 votes
20% of the shows
8%
jerjordn6971loix71LukinAtUgdlaw001Quinn427md281342tylerjFlameryReleaseMeambst95 11 votes
30% of the shows
6%
spnooneWashedforiginalsinBMo-643shepDeamonJRDAY89malphurs72JojoRice 9 votes
40% of the shows
4%
Wma31394Kearn5yRoleModelsinBlood31IgotshitIDFlyingwscott nowland 6 votes
50% of the shows
16%
red mosrjwhite19Andomy2handsstawamuscropdustdairHawk123ComeToTXPA JammerpledgeagrievanceScreaming TreeTim SimmonsMalrothmck620jeff2040buck502000jumbojetclezynski25rummyNSL 22 votes
60% of the shows
4%
bloodbrotherfrozen rozenwall232Garasaurasgangwarilymschostok 6 votes
70% of the shows
8%
mcgruff10hrd2imgnruggs1996ParanoidBoyMT236122mwplumboxer or the bagtylermoorenothinasitseemsJustaPJFanjessebasi 11 votes
80% of the shows
7%
bootlegger10ParksyiOnlyownMymindwhichwaysignJB111896Big Bank Hankshetellsherselfrgambsriley540elcazador83 10 votes
90% of the shows
9%
LiftedPearl JamesDaron OshayEP1973Rozbrajgdrums7814Weston1283lktommykcydoniaPearl34JamPJfanwillneverleave1TheCrazyNinja23 12 votes
100% of the shows
20%
intodeepkramer73serpent boyDPrival78on2legsHollisBrownoldschoolpjfan10LukinFanBrainofBGAdimitrispearljamBF89905KC138045bobtoastStevieGwhofeelslikeadrankTA243471FrankieGPapikiThsohi 27 votes

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2016
    80% of the shows
    of course if they played this version, then they could play it every show and I would never voice one word of discontent, but none of the versions I have heard recently approach this level of epic-ness. Even Flow should be an epic 7 minute or more song with the drum solo in there, some of the versions I have heard sound rushed & I am not sure why you would want to neuter a song like that? Also while we are on the subject how about a couple of shows at The Fucking Gorge one of these years, it's only been like a fucking decade already
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    80% of the shows
    Like Crazy Mary, I know I would much rather see Crazy Mary, especially the Mike and Boom jam, how sweet is that?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeFoXhxJK8
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    90% of the shows
    95% for me

Even flow, Alive, Jeremy, corduroy, daughter are all big hits that I will never get sick of hearing live

DTE could get dropped to about 50% for me, and I am starting to get bored with Lightning Bolt live (never gotten bored of a song before this)
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    70% of the shows
    considering i have only been to 5 shows...on with the even flow! picked 70% because i want it but along with my other favorites.
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    80% of the shows

95% for me

Even flow, Alive, Jeremy, corduroy, daughter are all big hits that I will never get sick of hearing live

DTE could get dropped to about 50% for me, and I am starting to get bored with Lightning Bolt live (never gotten bored of a song before this)

I look forward to Alive because it is such a celebration with everyone there, but there is also a touch of sadness because it means the show is coming to an end
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited April 2016
    They can play whatever the fuck they want if it concerns me. I am there to have a good time. I don't really get the beef people seem to have with Even Flow, it has a lovely extended jam. I would rather prefer Jeremy or Alive not being played. But we are all different and all have different tastes. Good thing they play more than one song at a show :tongue:
  • Options
    80% of the shows

They can play whatever the fuck they want if it concerns me. I am there to have a good time. I don't really get the beef people seem to have with Even Flow, it has a lovely extended jam. I would rather prefer Jeremy or Alive not being played. But we are all different and all have different tastes. Good thing they play more than one song at a show :tongue:

so if they never played it again you would be okay with that? according to your statement, that is what one would infer
  • Options
    100% of the shows
    dude... did i mention that i'm glad to see you back Hank? and yea, as many times as i've seen this song live... seems like every time was better than the last.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,855

of course if they played this version, then they could play it every show and I would never voice one word of discontent, but none of the versions I have heard recently approach this level of epic-ness. Even Flow should be an epic 7 minute or more song with the drum solo in there, some of the versions I have heard sound rushed & I am not sure why you would want to neuter a song like that? Also while we are on the subject how about a couple of shows at The Fucking Gorge one of these years, it's only been like a fucking decade already

That video is from my first show- good choice :smile:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    80% of the shows

dude... did i mention that i'm glad to see you back Hank? and yea, as many times as i've seen this song live... seems like every time was better than the last.

Thanks I appreciate that. Sorry I don't agree, the Gorge 2006 version is way better in my opinion, but I am a Led Zeppelin fan too, and I think real rock groups need at least one drum solo per show, it saddens me to see Matt Cameron never really let loose that often, he is capable of so much more than he is allowed to show
  • Options
    80% of the shows

sadly they haven't been back to The Gorge since :bawling:
  • Options

Almost a decade!!!
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    100% of the shows

Thanks I appreciate that. Sorry I don't agree, the Gorge 2006 version is way better in my opinion, but I am a Led Zeppelin fan too, and I think real rock groups need at least one drum solo per show, it saddens me to see Matt Cameron never really let loose that often, he is capable of so much more than he is allowed to show
    for what it's worth... for my shows this tour, MC had his chance to shine each time we got even flow. is it a ginger baker, jon bonham, keith moon, or phil collins solo? sadly, no, but Ed does give the guy a chance and Matt is brilliant. this song never gets old for me.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    80% of the shows

Almost a decade!!!
    as a Pearl Jam fan living in Seattle I feel so isolated, I wish I could afford to travel and go see shows, but right now, anything outside of PNW just is not doable, hopefully they play some more shows here sooner than later
  • Options
    80% of the shows

for what it's worth... for my shows this tour, MC had his chance to shine each time we got even flow. is it a ginger baker, jon bonham, keith moon, or phil collins solo? sadly, no, but Ed does give the guy a chance and Matt is brilliant. this song never gets old for me.
    I still love the song, but skipping it like they did in Greenville or like they did in Charlottesville, is okay, everyone thought those were great shows and no one said "but they didn't play Even Flow", that is all I am saying, that the band should be encouraged if they want to mix it up even more, I am totally supportive of them doing that
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    100% of the shows
    Every show. Yeah there's probably 150 songs I'd rather hear at this point. But every show also has the people that know PJ from 20+ years ago and don't know much else since then. I saw one of them in the row behind me last night in Lexington. The guy looked bored to tears most of the show. Then when Alive came on, he was up, dancing and singing. I don't think it's a bad thing for fans like him to be taken care of.
  • Options

Almost a decade!!!
    as a Pearl Jam fan living in Seattle I feel so isolated, I wish I could afford to travel and go see shows, but right now, anything outside of PNW just is not doable, hopefully they play some more shows here sooner than later
    I hope so for you too!
    severed hand thirteen

• Options
    edited April 2016
    80% of the shows
    Sarava said:

Every show. Yeah there's probably 150 songs I'd rather hear at this point. But every show also has the people that know PJ from 20+ years ago and don't know much else since then. I saw one of them in the row behind me last night in Lexington. The guy looked bored to tears most of the show. Then when Alive came on, he was up, dancing and singing. I don't think it's a bad thing for fans like him to be taken care of.

I have noticed the only times they ever skip Even Flow is if it is a smaller arena, or if they are playing 2 shows in the same city, like MSG and or Philly might not get Even Flow both shows, but I totally get it at festivals, or big arenas in big cities when you want to play songs that most of the people should know, while we would love a show full of rarities like Army Reserve, Force Of Nature, Off He Goes and Of the Girl, but we are Pearl Jam geeks & it takes time to get there, and that same kind of show might mot be so awesome for the casual fan who hasn't developed that appreciation for the music yet, the old saying, you got to get them hooked first, and really I think the band does a really good job that they can give us awesome shows in places like Charlottesville, Moline and Greenville, not exactly giant metropolitan areas, and with that a lot of the diehards are now looking for shows like that because they know there is a chance for some historic to happen, from all the youtube videos I have seen and all the people I talked to, it must have been a really fucking great crowd that night, it seemed like it just kept getting bigger and building with each song almost like it became a mutual appreciation that produced a memory that no one that was there I am sure will ever forget, and we all hope to be at shows like like that, but even the worst Pearl Jam show is still better than any other concert I would care to see. I really love this band and their music, and not only did it save my life, but they have been inspirations as fellow human beings that has helped inspire me in my own life to make sure I live in it freer, happier and more in love with life and the world around me, and to appreciate more, just to want to be a better human, so for that I will be forever indebted.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    80% of the shows
    the average of the fans after 38 votes is 71.58% which is roughly about 5 times every 7 shows
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    50% of the shows
    I don't mind even flow though.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    80% of the shows
    with 52 votes cast the average is 63.85%, which is roughly 5 times every 8 shows, we could see Crazy Mary more often, the epic 8 to 10 minute version, especially when Mike and Boom are doing that jam
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeFoXhxJK8
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    100% of the shows
    Play it every time. It is always someon'es first show.

I do like the longer jams of it
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,938
    100% of the shows
    It's my all time favourite! I understand why people are / or are getting tired of it.

I love it and want it at every show!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    50% of the shows
    Variety is the spice of life...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    50% of the shows
    They have written so many good songs AFTER Ten that I don't think anything should be played at more than 50% of the shows...

RVM, Porch, DTE, GTF, Alive, Even Flow should all be played less in my opinion
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    90% of the shows
    Like people said it may be a persons first show.. And most casual fans know even flow from ten so it makes sense. But occasionally it'd be cool to see a show without it, most people standing there bewildered 'where's even flow!' , with a back catalogue so strong they could play a number of songs insignificance , alone spring to mind. But whatever every night is a unique experience, I've only seen 4 shows..and to be honest the emotion overran what song they would play next..it didn't matter...but to me rearviewmirror is song I would love to see every time...Manchester , UK 2009....best I've ever seen...
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    50% of the shows
    Don't get me wrong, I like Even Flow - it's classic PJ but...
    ..is it bigger than, say, Jeremy? I make the comparison because Jeremy only gets played at about 50% of the shows and I'm pretty sure a first-timer would also like to hear than one, no?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    2x. open and close show
  • Options
    50% of the shows
    pjhawks said:

2x. open and close show

Too bad 200% of the time wasn't an option!
  • Options
    50% of the shows
    How about this: I'm going to both Toronto shows. I am hoping to only hear it once.

Same goes for every other one of their great, great songs.