Options

GA etiquette

What's the etiquette for us folks who won't be waiting in line to be on the Rail? Can we still, once entering the GA, attempt to move up to a closer location, and how movement towards the stage is too much movement. Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    Once you get in GA you are pretty much stuck in whatever spot you choose to stop at. There really isn't any movement in GA other than people jumping up and down. So no, you can't really move your way towards the rail unless you really want to piss everyone off by trying to move by them. Even then, security, like in Greenville will toss you out if your causing a scene trying to move around people. Its definitely not like a Normal "pit" where people are running around. People have earned their spots close to the rail by waiting all day. That being said; we walked in around 6:30-7:00 at Greenville and had second row from the rail on stones side. I've been to 5 GA shows now and have always walked in about 60-90 minutes before show and have never been farther back than about 4-5 rows on either side. Middle fills up first, then Mikes side, then Stones side. Good luck.
  • Options
    CapnBobCapnBob Lexington, SC Posts: 369
    can back this up - walked in around 7:00 for the Columbia show and was 4 rows deep on Mike's side...
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    mwelchonsmwelchons Posts: 108
    Thanks. For clarification, I didn't mean to imply that it was acceptable to move all the way up to the rail or to cause a scene. I do take some issue with the concept of "earning" a spot in a General Admission section. It's GA and as I see it, as long as you're not pushing folks out of the way or being disorderly, no person has a right to designated spot. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    The problem is, you will be pushing people out of the way if you attempt to move forward. It typically doesn't go over well. I mentioned earned, because usually those people waited longer in line to get closer to the rail. It's best to just hang out at the spot you get when you first get there, meet your "neighbors" for the next three hours and rock out. People are very accommodating to allow you to leave and use restroom or grab a beer and return to your "spot", but trying to maneuver your way around people to get closer usually doesn't work. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    I've seen people cut in line outside and I've seen people blow through the crowd to get to rail. It's hard to monitor everyone so people will break these unwritten rules. If only there was a way to remedy this and keep people from having to loiter outside urban venues overnight..maybe assign seats based on something. Not sure what they could use for assigning but maybe give everyone a number and use that. #reserved
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    jmug23 said:

The problem is, you will be pushing people out of the way if you attempt to move forward. It typically doesn't go over well. I mentioned earned, because usually those people waited longer in line to get closer to the rail. It's best to just hang out at the spot you get when you first get there, meet your "neighbors" for the next three hours and rock out. People are very accommodating to allow you to leave and use restroom or grab a beer and return to your "spot", but trying to maneuver your way around people to get closer usually doesn't work. Just my opinion.

I understand your point and think it's a good one. At Hampton the GA line--I had TM tickets--seemed endless even at 3pm the night of the show. At Hampton from the outside the GA pit seemed pretty jammed, even near the back. (I had right floor seats).
  • Options
    Yeah GA definitely gets tight and packed by the time the show starts. I still can't quite figure out how the outside line for GA seems to be a mile long; with people lined up all day, but by the time I stroll in through the normal gates around 7:00, I'm always able to get really close to the stage. Not sure where all those people in GA line actually go once they get inside. Like I said in Greenville, walked in around 7:00, second row stones side and was close enough to rail to have ED poor some wine in my cup:)
  • Options
    jmug23 said:

Yeah GA definitely gets tight and packed by the time the show starts. I still can't quite figure out how the outside line for GA seems to be a mile long; with people lined up all day, but by the time I stroll in through the normal gates around 7:00, I'm always able to get really close to the stage. Not sure where all those people in GA line actually go once they get inside. Like I said in Greenville, walked in around 7:00, second row stones side and was close enough to rail to have ED poor some wine in my cup:)

Dude that's awesome! Cheers.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    I know the mosh pit days are over. I wouldn't mind seeing a big circle pit in GA. There is an energy in a unified movement that is special beyond words.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    edited April 2016
    If GA must exist, which I think the growth in membership dues will encourage, at least do the Bruce system where the fans aren't forced to loiter all night for. We are all pretty hard core but would like to enjoy the city we have traveled hundreds of miles for. I know I'm in the minority but it would be nice. It would still give the newbies an opportunity to be close without requiring the old members to give up a day for a chance at rail. Seems reasonable to me but like I said I'm probably in the minority.
    Post edited by Noload on
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I agree. It's not even a day anymore. We're past 36 hours prior
  • Options
    Fellow buffalonian?!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Yes,
  • Options
    Nice
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    jmug23 said:

You must have been right behind me. I got the bottle. :smiley:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden