Options

What is your Achilles Heel?

hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
I've recently been re-watching old eps of Homeland (so damned and intensely good) and the most recent one was titled that which is in the subject line. Hit on it in an enlightening way.

Made me wonder what mine is. I think I know, and I think there's more than one heel for me.

Yours?

Comments

• Options
    Well, I guess mine is my husband. First priority - my weakness and my strength.

Second, our kitties.

(is it wrong that my mom falls third on the list?)
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    hedonist said:

Second, our kitties.

No it's not wrong. The problem with prioritizing something like this, is wanting to have multiple things tied for first. My significant other definitely takes the honor in my mind.

I guess I was looking at the question in a different light. I was thinking about how any child that has been mistreated will cause me to lose focus on everything else and try to affect some kind of positive change. It can be overwhelming and even cause a little hopelessness when the realization sets in that you can't help them all.
  • Options

hedonist said:

Second, our kitties.

No it's not wrong. The problem with prioritizing something like this, is wanting to have multiple things tied for first. My significant other definitely takes the honor in my mind.

I guess I was looking at the question in a different light. I was thinking about how any child that has been mistreated will cause me to lose focus on everything else and try to affect some kind of positive change. It can be overwhelming and even cause a little hopelessness when the realization sets in that you can't help them all.
    This is awfully sweet and sad at the same time. I understand, relate to the need to defend - as well as the need to be defended. Believe me, the effort makes a difference.

For lack of eloquence at the moment...thanks. Bit of hopelessness will never negate the hope itself :)
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    MST3K and Rifftrax

Also, I've been getting into rants and reviews of Nostalgia Critic lately.
  • Options

MST3K and Rifftrax

Damn you for making me have to Google shit!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    This is a tough question as I don't like to 'rank' my life. Of course there are people in my life that I interact with that I don't regard as important as others, but I like to say that the people I consider important, are important in different ways...if that makes sense.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,762
    Oh my god... I'll be up all night thinking about this question... :bee: ...or trying not to. :anguished:

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    The left one. There's a tear in the tendon that needs surgery. :lol:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    I find myself having Achilles Tendencies toward ice and rest
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

The left one. There's a tear in the tendon that needs surgery. :lol:

Ouch!

Thinking about how I would answer this, my first reaction to the question was of a metaphorical nature related to a person's emotions, characteristics, idiosyncrasies, temperament, personality or something like that. Maybe I was reading wa-a-a-a-y too much into it?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Thank you for the New Years card, Mr. D. Lux :hug:
  • Options
    rollings said:

Thank you for the New Years card, Mr. D. Lux :hug:

:smiley:

And thank you and your big sweet Mr. for the cool card...

... AND for that tree thumper!! Makes me smile wide every time! hehe!

• Options
    RKCNDY said:

This is a tough question as I don't like to 'rank' my life. Of course there are people in my life that I interact with that I don't regard as important as others, but I like to say that the people I consider important, are important in different ways...if that makes sense.

I get you, RK. For me, not so much ranking (though maybe so) as what/who I'd drop anything for.

Oh I'm a lucky woman, to count on both hands - and toes! - the ones I love :)
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    For F Me I would assume it would be an empty martini glass.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Better that than an empty Martini.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I'm pretty sure emptys heel is current.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    hedonist said:

MST3K and Rifftrax

Damn you for making me have to Google shit!
    Just repeat to yourself, "It's just acronym. I should really just relax."
  • Options
    I get acronyms, had no idea what the MST one meant.

I guess another heel of mine is needing to know what shit means ;)
  • Options
    Come to think of it I think acronyms are like Achilles Heels. They trip us up.

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    people who eat with their mouth open it just bugs me
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,965
    asthma and and I'm prone to shin splints it seems, not ideal for a runner...
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,198
    good to see some people knows the Greek things around here

from the moment i saw my nephew and i hold him at my arms,that was it
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

good to see some people knows the Greek things around here

from the moment i saw my nephew and i hold him at my arms,that was it

I felt the same with my niece. One of the best and most life-changing moments.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    My physical heart.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird