Options

Colores Vinyls

celofgcelofg Posts: 5
edited November 2015 in Lost Dogs
Hi there. I have a doubt about colored vinyls. At eBay I searched for Pearl Jam's vinyls and encountered some colored vinyls, like the one in the link attached. Besides the colored non colored thing what are the diferences? Is a colored vinyl a worst kind of vinyl? Regards

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252173710765?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140131123730&meid=c273217aa8814761bebf1a38a0821a9c&pid=100167&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=381470315824&_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_mwBanner=1
Up here in my tree...
Post edited by celofg on

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    The coloured vinyl in your link is a bootleg copy, not authorised by Pearl Jam. It is fake, so to speak, not the real deal. Some people out there make fake copies from bad media sources and sell them for cheap to make a buck. But these are not original PJ albums.You can look versions up on discogs, it tells you pretty nicely what is real and what is fake. And you can usually tell by the price too. A real Avocado would never go for 39 bucks, sadly.
  • Options
    celofg said:

Hi there. I have a doubt about colored vinyls. At eBay I searched for Pearl Jam's vinyls and encountered some colored vinyls, like the one in the link attached. Besides the colored non colored thing what are the diferences? Is a colored vinyl a worst kind of vinyl? Regards

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252173710765?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140131123730&meid=c273217aa8814761bebf1a38a0821a9c&pid=100167&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=381470315824&_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_mwBanner=1

All bootlegs. The only studio album that had a color release was Lightning bolt. All the other albums are regular black wax.

There is a super rare Blue VS album but that was in South America.

This website has pretty much all you need to know about PJ.

http://www.pjcollectors.com
  • Options
    cjzolycjzoly Posts: 508
    Backspacer has a white vinyl also...Ten has a Coke Bottle...And PJ20 was in a red, green and blue colored vinyl too...
    I'm a Thief, I'm a Liar, There's my Church, I sing in the Choir...Hallelujah...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    cjzoly said:

Backspacer has a white vinyl also...Ten has a Coke Bottle...And PJ20 was in a red, green and blue colored vinyl too...

And the Red Lighting Bolt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited November 2015
    Yes, there are special editions, but if you look them up, you can clearly and quickly figure out which ones are real and which ones are not. The problem with most of the bootlegs is that they don't sound as good as the originals because their music is coming from a source like a CD or MP3s. And you basically pay money to music pirates, not to the artist. I have bought bootlegs myself, sometimes I like their colour. But I would not pay big bucks for them. PJ should just reissue their catalogue on vinyl and make it more available for the not so rich fan.
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Colored vinyl is mainly for collectors who like often rarer presses. Done right, the vinyl should be the equivalent of black vinyl although many audio purists state a preference for black vinyl. Given it boils down to preference in most cases, it is up to the individual to size up what is worth pursuing versus leaving alone. Many of these rarer pieces go for big bucks and typically stay "sealed" as they are some kind of trophy. Others opt to spin them to their heart's content. If you own it, then you get that choice. In the PJ arena colored vinyl falls into two categories: the rarer items (desired) or the knock-offs (lower quality often used to fill voids in the out of print back catalog). Already mentioned was the Red Lightning Bolt and the blue Columbian Vs. Also a rare white Backspacer sold to 10c and Coke bottle (greenish) clear Ten. The PJ 20 Soundtrack had two alternate versions besides the standard black, a tri-colored set (red, green, blue) and a glow-in-the dark uber rare set for the band and their friends (100 sets). Benaroya Hall is wine colored and the original unofficial-official (band sanctioned) Chicago boot from Vintage Vinyl was a green toothpaste color. Ten also had two picture disc formats one with a basketball that was also booted and the other looked like the album cover. If you get into singles (7" & 12"), even more variants surface - check out pjcollectors.com (mentioned above in prior post) for comprehensive details of each alternate release. As for the colored boots, they seem to be filling a void in the out of print albums in most cases. There are no audio quality guarantees for these and be cautious about spending too much money only to get hung up with an unlistenable copy. Many of the color schemes look awesome (eg. blue avocado and the like). Hopefully No Code through Pearl Jam albums are rereleased soon to help dry up the booters. If you find a boot of one of them for the right price versus the hundreds of dollars a real one would cost, feel free to try it out if you have the funds - just know it is a huge risk on audio quality component coupled with you likely won't be able to sell it here on the forums if you later opt to part with it. I have not played any of the album boots, so can't speak firsthand for how they sound. As for the colored versus black vinyl, my ear cannot hear a difference hence I am in the equivalence boat. If all things are the same, I opt for colored but usually pricing places me with the regular black version. Best of luck to you with finding your own way to "spin the black circle".
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited November 2015
    There is also glow in the dark PJ20, mint green Soldier Field (and fake greens too).... lots of limited edition official coloured vinyl as several people already mentioned. Leeze gives good advice. If you aren't sure, check discogs. And yeah, no original PJ vinyl is cheap until you hit Backspacer. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,872
    White Backspacer looks amazing but sounds like crap.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631

Yes, there are special editions, but if you look them up, you can clearly and quickly figure out which ones are real and which ones are not. The problem with most of the bootlegs is that they don't sound as good as the originals because their music is coming from a source like a CD or MP3s. And you basically pay money to music pirates, not to the artist. I have bought bootlegs myself, sometimes I like their colour. But I would not pay big bucks for them. PJ should just reissue their catalogue on vinyl and make it more available for the not so rich fan.

What a novel idea!
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    Thanks a lot guys. I agree that PJ should reissue the vinyls. I saw a Benaroya Hall vinil for 2K. Unbelievable
    Up here in my tree...
  • Options
    I wonder how the glow in the dark sounds? There is one on ebay but it is very expensive ..Is it worth that much?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Mcsquid said:

I wonder how the glow in the dark sounds? There is one on ebay but it is very expensive ..Is it worth that much?

No different than the $20 CD.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited November 2015
    Mcsquid said:

It's worth whatever some crazy fan is willing to pay.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata