Options

Rio: Uber question and transportation after show

So my understanding is that Uber is now banned in Rio as of October 1st. Does anyone know if there are any drivers still operating (illegally)? It sounds like the Metro shuts down at 11pm on Sunday nights and the buses will probably be few and far between. I don't want to leave early but may do so once I hear the first notes of Alive to try to catch a cab.

Any thoughts on transportation?

Comments

• Options

So my understanding is that Uber is now banned in Rio as of October 1st. Does anyone know if there are any drivers still operating (illegally)? It sounds like the Metro shuts down at 11pm on Sunday nights and the buses will probably be few and far between. I don't want to leave early but may do so once I hear the first notes of Alive to try to catch a cab.

Any thoughts on transportation?

I´m interested as well, will be my first time in Rio and I´ve been wondering if there´s some mini bus service to hire in group, to get to and from the venue (like in La Plata), but didn´t get an answer from my hotel and/or locals in this forum.
    I really wouldn´t like to leave early....
  • Options
    Uber isn't banned in Rio anymore, there was a judicial ruling that overruled that decision (you can check here, in portuguese: http://newsroom.uber.com/rio/pt/2015/10/09/justica-reitera-que-uber-e-legal-e-determina-que-motoristas-podem-trabalhar-no-rj/). The subway really closes at 11pm on sundays but I think there'll be plenty of taxis and buses still operating near Maracanã (especially for those going to the south side of the city)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    Good to hear! Thanks!
  • Options
    Great!
    I sent a couple of e-mails to some shuttle companies in Rio, just in case. I tell you if I hear back from them.
  • Options
    camilo.oliveiracamilo.oliveira São Paulo Posts: 6
    Beware of taxi drivers in Rio, Sao Paulo and brazilian big cities, especially after big events like this. Sometimes they only get the passenger it he or she agrees to pay a fixed (high) price for the run. Usually in the hundreds. It might happen. I'm hoping to get an Uber after the show.
  • Options
    pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    edited November 2015
    I don´t speak portuguese, but apparently the metro will be running after the show, according to Rio de Janeiro Goverment´s website: rj.gov.br/web/guest/listaconteudo?search-type=busca&group-id=10136&search-params=pearl%20jam&search-location=0

Please can someone who manage portuguese translate this for us?
    Thank you!
    Post edited by pearljam1809 on
  • Options
    RG198387RG198387 Rio de Janeiro Posts: 8
    According to the Rio de Janeiro State website there will be a special plan for the Pearl Jam concert. The Maracanã and São Cristóvão stations will be working for departures until midnight (0h). The others stations will be working just for those arriving from the show.
  • Options
    RG198387 said:

According to the Rio de Janeiro State website there will be a special plan for the Pearl Jam concert. The Maracanã and São Cristóvão stations will be working for departures until midnight (0h). The others stations will be working just for those arriving from the show.

Thanks!
    Does this plan say anything about conexion in Botafogo? Will both lines work the same?
  • Options
    RG198387RG198387 Rio de Janeiro Posts: 8
    edited November 2015
    Yes, you'll be able to go to Botafogo.
    Also the "extensão" lines in surface, Botafogo-Gávea and Gávea-Ipanema, will work until the last train arrive.
    This is what the text says.
  • Options
    RG198387 said:

Yes, you'll be able to go to Botafogo.
    Also the "extensão" lines in surface, Botafogo-Gávea and Gávea-Ipanema, will work until the last train arrive.
    This is what the text says.

Great, thank you very much!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    Excellent!!