Options

What would you do if you could time travel (after picking up the sports almanac)?

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
edited October 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
The thread about killing Hitler in the AMT lead to interesting places, so I thought a thread about the fantasy of time travel in general could be fun. :) All theoretical possibilities, problems, benefits, etc are open for discussion. Cheating is also allowed (i.e. if you change history so that time travel was never invented, that doesn't have to erase the fact that that you time travelled before you changed history, lol. Or, maybe it does. Up to you). ;)

First thing I'd consider is going back to warn my 12 year old self about a few things so I could avoid some bad stuff that was otherwise unavoidable.... But I wonder how much that would mess up my 12 year old brain though?? How would people feel if their future self came by for a visit?? And how would you feel about completely changing the course of your own life? How worried would you be about it leading to your untimely death or something? Would I take the rIsk? I'm thinking yes.... I guess this wouldn't be as easy an option if I had kids, since I could end up erasing my kids from existence.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    I would travel back to August 1999 and put all my money on the Rams winning it all - and change none of my decisions afterwards.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I'd go to more Who shows. :rock_on:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options

I'd go to more Who shows. :rock_on:

Good one! I'd go to all the greatest Led Zeppelin shows.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

I would travel back to August 1999 and put all my money on the Rams winning it all - and change none of my decisions afterwards.

Ha, same time....I wouldn't stress over Trent Green getting hurt :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I would have junk punched all the bullies in school.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    I'd go 500 or so years into the future just to see how much like Star Trek: TNG things got..... And perhaps consider stealing some amazing technology if I thought it would really be useful enough in our own time to justify intellectual property theft (and questions about where in the hell it came from).
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Would I still be me but just in the past/future?

I'd love to witness Mozart composing, Neanderthals going about their, ancient tribal life, and maybe kill a baby Hitler or Mengele... ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    hedonist said:

Would I still be me but just in the past/future?

I'd love to witness Mozart composing, Neanderthals going about their, ancient tribal life, and maybe kill a baby Hitler or Mengele... ;)

Yeah, you'd still be you. :)
    Yeah, seeing prehistoric man (or predecessors) would be particularly interesting... I'd be worried about them freaking out and killing me though, lol.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    visiting prehistoric man would be awesome. visiting mozart, back, chopin & all those kinda folks would be on my list. i'd also like to check out some dinosaurs.

imagine taking a pianist (or harpsichordist) & there large instrument into a cave fulla filthy, grunting, booger eaters?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I would like to amend my choice(s) to time-travelling while invisible!

And chadwick, I bet the acoustics'd kick ass in a cave.

Wouldn't mind witnessing DaVinci or Michelangelo doing their thing, either.
  • Options
    Dinosaurs for sure.
    I would like to see just how far back I could go..... witnessing the big bang would be pretty cool. Or go back to BEFORE the big bang and see wtf the deal was.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    I'd go find Jesus (when he was alive) try and figure some stuff out. Get rid of this headache I have
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I'd make sure to buy all Pearl Jam vinyl when it's released so I don't have to spend a grand obtaining it all in my late 30s, and a grand being considered a good deal.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    watch antonio stradivari do his thing

neat little video
    https://youtu.be/r5aLHuk0PUU
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

I'd make sure to buy all Pearl Jam vinyl when it's released so I don't have to spend a grand obtaining it all in my late 30s, and a grand being considered a good deal.

Good call!
  • Options

What would be the fun in that

lol

(it does make a lot of sense)
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    yellowwho said:

What would be the fun in that

lol

(it does make a lot of sense)
    The fun comes when you sell 4 of the 5 Bennys and studio albums that you got for face value and use the money to fund the trip of a lifetime, lol. ;) (.... not that you'd really ever have to pay to take trips ever again if you can time travel).

But wait.... I guess this assumes that we can time travel with objects, and it's not time travel a la The Terminator.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
  • Options
    I feel like I'm reading about everybody's Quantum Leap adventures, and PJ_Soul is Al with a Ziggy in her pocket.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I feel like I'm reading about everybody's Quantum Leap adventures, and PJ_Soul is Al with a Ziggy in her pocket.

I wish!! I LOVE that show! I have 28 episodes saved on my PVR right now, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

That is awesome! I watch when I catch it on TV, still don't think I've seen them all...even though I watched religiously when it first aired.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

PJ_Soul said:

RKCNDY said:

That is awesome! I watch when I catch it on TV, still don't think I've seen them all...even though I watched religiously when it first aired.
    Only last week I finally realized what happens to the people when Sam takes over their bodies!... I don't want to give it away though. ;)
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    There's so much. To see the Sistine Chapel right when it's finished. Benaroya, I wish I'd been there for that. See Mozart conduct one of his operas.

Because I have a major Titanic obsession it would be cool to go back and maybe be on the ship and convince the Captain to slow the fuck down and look out for icebergs. That could end badly though if he thought I was a kook.

There was an old TV show with 2 guys who went back in time and tried to prevent stuff from happening, the Titanic was one of the episodes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Travel to Y2K in Florida to tell more people to vote for Gore to avoid 8 years of Dubya and Cheney and alert those about 9/11 in a year.

As far as the other replies go, I gotta agree with rkcndy.
  • Options
    go back and not be the last person to create a MySpace account, just to have everyone move over to Facebook when it exploded...

Man, I'm so un-social media savvy

#Imthelasttoknowanything
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,387
    yellowwho said:

go back and not be the last person to create a MySpace account, just to have everyone move over to Facebook when it exploded...

Man, I'm so un-social media savvy

#Imthelasttoknowanything

Yeah, you are. Facebook is for grandmas and soccer moms. All the kids use twitter or snapchat or whatever.... :smiley: