Options

Need help setting up my vintage stereo system!!!

OK!

Purchased a vintage Pioneer SA8500 ii amp and TX8500 ii and want to hook it all up properly.

I get how to hook up the turntable and CD to aux. I'm wondering about the speakers and the receiver? There are different hook ups in the back and I am wondering if there is a way to screw this up?!?

I'm only running two shelf speakers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    It looks like the tuner just plugs into the amp with RCA's in the "Tuner" jack. Whichever antenna you plan to use will determine which antenna jack to use on the tuner. (75 ohm or 300 ohm. You antenna should have one of these marked on it somewhere.)

Turntable plugs into either of the "Phono" jacks. (Don't forget to connect the ground wire on the TT to the chassis of the amp.)

As you described, CD goes into "Aux" with RCA connectors.

Since you're only using one pair of speakers, I would use the "A" outputs. Connect red to red and black to black.

(I apologize if I'm telling you anything you already know. Do you have specific questions or areas of concern?)

Also, that's a kickass amp. Should sound like a million bucks with good speakers.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

It looks like the tuner just plugs into the amp with RCA's in the "Tuner" jack. Whichever antenna you plan to use will determine which antenna jack to use on the tuner. (75 ohm or 300 ohm. You antenna should have one of these marked on it somewhere.)

Turntable plugs into either of the "Phono" jacks. (Don't forget to connect the ground wire on the TT to the chassis of the amp.)

As you described, CD goes into "Aux" with RCA connectors.

Since you're only using one pair of speakers, I would use the "A" outputs. Connect red to red and black to black.

(I apologize if I'm telling you anything you already know. Do you have specific questions or areas of concern?)

Also, that's a kickass amp. Should sound like a million bucks with good speakers.

I'm running Martin Logan 15's with the system.

Yeah the Speaker A option was what I was curious about.

Also curious if I want to hook up a center and two L/R speakers for 5 total, what will it do for the phono listening?

The antennae I thought was built in?!? I have to buy an external one? I always thought the big arm behind the receiver was an antennae?!?

I get the ground and RCA hook ups for the components.

Thanks Dudeman.

I'm going to start setting it all up today!

Christopher
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    With that amp, you can potentially use two pairs of speakers, one pair goes to "A" and the other to "B". You can run either pair separately or together as long as the total load on the amp doesn't go lower than 4 ohms.

If your Martin Logan 15's are 8 ohms, you can add another pair of 8 ohm speakers and play both the "A" and "B" speakers together for a total load of 4 ohms. However, if your ML's are 4 ohm models, you won't be able to use additional speakers without risking damage to the amp. In a nutshell: 8 ohms + 8 ohms = 4 ohms (the only safe load for that amp with two pairs of speakers), 8 ohms + 4 ohms = 2.67 ohms and 4 ohms + 4 ohms = 2 ohms.

As for the center channel speaker, that amp doesn't have the ability to support one. Also, if you're listening to music in stereo, a center channel speaker would likely ruin the stereo image and not sound very good.

I don't know if you're trying to do a surround sound system but if you are, that amp isn't the right tool for that particular job.

You are correct about the antenna on the back, it is an antenna, but it is best suited for AM radio. If you want FM stations, you'll have to provide an FM antenna. That said, in some areas, I have been able to pick up some nearby FM stations without an additional antenna, but they don't come in clearly enough for an enjoyable listening experience.

Good luck with the set-up!
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    The Ohms I never understood but now I get it. Thanks.

Oh and yes I was curious if I could do surround with this system.

Last question:

Speaker wire and distance? 12g wire for the speakers and how far away max should I place them?

The two sets of speakers I have are 8ohms.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    This article may help with regard to speaker wire gauge and length:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge

Hope this helps. It's a little technical but the figures are reasonable.

In your situation, 12 gauge wire with an 8 ohm load makes a maximum recommended distance of 60 ft. Thirty feet for the same wire with a 4 ohm load.

Edited to add: I have seen many, many stereo systems that were set up with long runs of lighter gauge speaker wire than you are planning on using. Those systems worked fine, as in music came out of the speakers and sounded good. If those systems were set up using the guidelines of appropriate wire gauge and length, they could have sounded better. In other words, it's worth taking the time to learn the right way to set up your stereo.

Good luck and congrats on the new system!
  • Options
    Did you get your stereo hooked up? Also, how do you like your Martin Logan's for listening to rock music?
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Did you get your stereo hooked up? Also, how do you like your Martin Logan's for listening to rock music?

Doing it now. The ML speakers show up Monday so I'm running Yamahas right now. Can't figure the FM antenna out. I may have to send you pics so you can explain it.
  • Options
    Not happy…

Getting pops and cracks in the sound.

Playing Vitalogy box set record. Brushed record before play. All grounds checked…

Now playing Piece of Mind and NO PRoblems…

Slight pop still…

What gives?

Tone arm resistance?
  • Options
    What is the tracking force on your stylus? If you look closely at the tip of the stylus, is there a wad of fuzz? Tonearm resistance is possible but unlikely unless your turntable got bumped around a lot. If it were me, I would rebalance the tonearm, set the tracking weight of the stylus to the manufacturers recommendation and adjust the anti-skate (if your turntable has this) and try again with a known, good-sounding record.
  • Options
    18 is the tracking force. Didn't see any fuzz.

Played a Korn record and it was perfect. So not sure what is up with it?

Have no idea on how to hook up an FM antenna to it now. lol

Any info on how to do that?
  • Options
    18 grams? Are you using a DJ cartridge? What kind of table are you using?

I'll look into the FM antenna and get back to you.
  • Options
    Project debut carbon. Ortofon cartridge.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    For the connection from your tuner to your amp: connect RCA cables from the "Output (Variable)" on the tuner to the "Tuner" jacks on the amp.

For the FM antenna: connect an indoor "T-type" antenna to the 300 jacks located between "GND" and the funky looking "75" jack off to the side of the antenna terminal bank.

The User's Manual for your amp and tuner are available here:

www.hifiengine.com

You can sign up for a free account and download the manuals for quick reference.

Which Ortofon cartridge do you have? The 2M Red? If so, your tracking force of 18 mN is about 1.8 grams. That should suffice for records in good shape.
  • Options
    OK I think everything is ok now sans the antenna… I bought an FM antenna and it comes with a red and a black so I still don't know how to hook it up…

The Martin Logans came in today and I hooked them up. MY GOD there is a difference!

These speakers are pretty damn impressive. I played Korn's first album and you can definitely hear things I hadn't heard before. This will make listening to things a lot of fun! Once I get my Yield cleaned that will be a treat.
  • Options
    Can you post a photo of the antenna connectors?

Glad you got everything else set up! Those Motion 15's are very revealing. They are quite popular among jazz and classical aficionados for their detail. I'm curious to know if those will change your perspective of rock and roll albums.

Revealing speakers are a double edged sword in that you may hear flaws in the mastering and production that may not be apparent with lesser speakers.
  • Options
    photo Image 1_zpslvnav3qp.jpg

The finished product…
    photo Image 2_zpsfoqzqshz.jpg
  • Options
    Looking good!

The terminals on the back of the tuner unscrew a little revealing a hole in the shaft that you slip the antenna wires into and then you tighten the screw back down.

What do the connectors on the antenna itself look like?
  • Options
    They are red and black wires. It has a single round plug with an adapter that has 2 wires with red and black. It's for two different applications but I can't plug the round one in anywhere.

So does it matter where red and black go?
  • Options
    Are you using a powered antenna or one that just looks like a piece of wire that splits into a "T"?
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Are you using a powered antenna or one that just looks like a piece of wire that splits into a "T"?

Powered.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    After rechecking the manual, it doesn't seem to matter.

Enjoy the new system!