Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    edited September 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I like Fallon but in terms of laugh out loud. I don't get that from him. He's not a good interviewer. His interviewers seem like 2 minutes and then they play a game.

That just isn't true... how many episodes have you watched? He has done some great interviews, and they are very rarely boring, which is the main problem with all the rest of these shows (I actually didn't realize so many people watched these shows specifically so that they can see movie stars talk about their kids or their new movies).

Anyway, that it why they have like 5 of these shows running every night. Because people find different things interesting or funny. I think Jimmy Fallon is hilarious, and is also by far the most genuine and relatable host, personality wise. And maybe most importantly, he is the only music mega-fan in the bunch, and it shows every night. He has the best musical guests, and gushes about music nightly, and I love that.
    That's really it isn't it? He strikes me as the sort of person I'd actively avoid. Colbert is more of a smart ass which I can definitely relate to lol.
    Oh, see I like Fallon's exuberance (plus he comes off like a genuinely nice person). He is fucking stoked to be doing what he's doing, and I like that you can see it all over his face and in everything he does. It makes me feel good. :)
    I like Colbert too.... I'd be pretty excited to hang out with either one of them. But I know I'd get along better with Fallon because he's a music fanboy.
    Fallon LOVES everybody and everything too....feels fake to me. Letterman was more genuine in my opinion. And I felt he was at his best when the audience could tell he wasn't particularly fond of who he was talking to--the Paris Hilton and Bieber interviews come to mind.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I like Fallon but in terms of laugh out loud. I don't get that from him. He's not a good interviewer. His interviewers seem like 2 minutes and then they play a game.

That just isn't true... how many episodes have you watched? He has done some great interviews, and they are very rarely boring, which is the main problem with all the rest of these shows (I actually didn't realize so many people watched these shows specifically so that they can see movie stars talk about their kids or their new movies).

Anyway, that it why they have like 5 of these shows running every night. Because people find different things interesting or funny. I think Jimmy Fallon is hilarious, and is also by far the most genuine and relatable host, personality wise. And maybe most importantly, he is the only music mega-fan in the bunch, and it shows every night. He has the best musical guests, and gushes about music nightly, and I love that.
    That's really it isn't it? He strikes me as the sort of person I'd actively avoid. Colbert is more of a smart ass which I can definitely relate to lol.
    Oh, see I like Fallon's exuberance (plus he comes off like a genuinely nice person). He is fucking stoked to be doing what he's doing, and I like that you can see it all over his face and in everything he does. It makes me feel good. :)
    I like Colbert too.... I'd be pretty excited to hang out with either one of them. But I know I'd get along better with Fallon because he's a music fanboy.
    Fallon LOVES everybody and everything too....feels fake to me. Letterman was more genuine in my opinion. And I felt he was at his best when the audience could tell he wasn't particularly fond of who he was talking to--the Paris Hilton and Bieber interviews come to mind.
    Nothing genuine about any of these late show acts..I see what you mean about jimmy being fake..I also think letterman was brutal the past 5 years or so.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Fallon's fake laugh is painful.
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Nothing genuine about any of these late show acts..I see what you mean about jimmy being fake..I also think letterman was brutal the past 5 years or so.
    Dave just seemed checked out years ago. I still liked his show for the most part, but he just seemed old, tired and little bitter. Dave in the heyday was great!

If I had to rate the shows as of a year ago:

Daily Show
    Colbert Report
    Conan
    Dave
    Kimmel
    Fallon
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Well that explains it. I 100% think his love for everything is real. Not fake at all. which is what sets him apart from everyone else. I actually think that some people think he might be fake simply because they have a hard time believing anyone could really be that stoked. But I believe it.
    I thought Letterman came off like a bit of a dick. Like, kind of a jerk in essence (though I also liked when he'd get a little harsh with guests he thought were idiots). I thought he was faking it simply out of disinterest half of the time. Forcing it (did a good job of it though). That's why I thought his retirement was way past due. Although I liked him fine. I just like Fallon way more. To me, he seems way more genuine. How odd. Not that there is any way to know unless we both make friends with both of them, but I wonder which one of us is right?? :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    I was wondering if PJ would be on the show since Colbert is co-hosting Global Citizen Festival
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Well that explains it. I 100% think his love for everything is real. Not fake at all. which is what sets him apart from everyone else. I actually think that some people think he might be fake simply because they have a hard time believing anyone could really be that stoked. But I believe it.
    I thought Letterman came off like a bit of a dick. Like, kind of a jerk in essence (though I also liked when he'd get a little harsh with guests he thought were idiots). I thought he was faking it simply out of disinterest half of the time. Forcing it (did a good job of it though). That's why I thought his retirement was way past due. Although I liked him fine. I just like Fallon way more. To me, he seems way more genuine. How odd. Not that there is any way to know unless we both make friends with both of them, but I wonder which one of us is right?? :lol:
    Leno seemingly loved everyone too. He was just cheesier and way less funny than Fallon. Nobody can love everything and everyone. I don't buy that at all.

I miss Dave. Haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Apparently Colbert's ratings for his second show were considerably lower than his first. "Well over 6 million the first night, well under 4 million the second night"
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    The Biden interview was phenomenal. Dusty in my office all of a sudden.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Apparently Colbert's ratings for his second show were considerably lower than his first. "Well over 6 million the first night, well under 4 million the second night"

That's to be expected.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Leno seemingly loved everyone too. He was just cheesier and way less funny than Fallon. Nobody can love everything and everyone. I don't buy that at all.

I miss Dave. Haha
    I never once thought Leno was anything like Fallon. Now THAT guy was a phony.
    Fallon doesn't love everything and everyone. He's just genuinely excited to be doing what he's doing.
    Anyway, watched the Justin Timberlake and Ellen Degenerous one last night. So compare Fallon and Timberlake doing a history of music rap battle, then see how to make a new tequila cocktail, and then Fallon and Ellen Degenerous doing a lip synching battle while being judged by a seemingly drunk Justin Timberlake to.... an interview with some movie star droning on about their latest movie and how they are just a "normal person". I'll go with the entertaining show, thanks. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

The Biden interview was phenomenal. Dusty in my office all of a sudden.

Yeah, it was good.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I miss Dave. Haha
    Fallon doesn't love everything and everyone. He's just genuinely excited to be doing what he's doing.
    Anyway, watched the Justin Timberlake and Ellen Degenerous one last night. So compare Fallon and Timberlake doing a history of music rap battle, then see how to make a new tequila cocktail, and then Fallon and Ellen Degenerous doing a lip synching battle while being judged by a seemingly drunk Justin Timberlake to.... an interview with some movie star droning on about their latest movie and how they are just a "normal person". I'll go with the entertaining show, thanks. ;)
    are people's attention spans that short nowadays that we need these manufactured bits to be entertained (not aimed at you personally, pjsoul, just in general)? a talk show host who actually is a skilled interviewer can make interviews entertaining and informative. i'm not the biggest colbert fan yet, but his biden interview was fantastic last night. plus he has a lot of other interesting people lined up, not all of them are celebrities, that look pretty interesting as well. i can't see fallon doing that and taking him seriously. i guess he should stick with those lip synching gimmicks.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I miss Dave. Haha
    are people's attention spans that short nowadays that we need these manufactured bits to be entertained (not aimed at you personally, pjsoul, just in general)? a talk show host who actually is a skilled interviewer can make interviews entertaining and informative. i'm not the biggest colbert fan yet, but his biden interview was fantastic last night. plus he has a lot of other interesting people lined up, not all of them are celebrities, that look pretty interesting as well. i can't see fallon doing that and taking him seriously. i guess he should stick with those lip synching gimmicks.
    But the interesting interviews are few and far between. 9 times out of time it is some celebrity plugging a movie. Would it be nice if Fallon was a better interviewer when he does have interesting guests on? Sure, but I guess I would prefer to be entertained with people doing funny stuff and then tune in when others do more serious interviews. My point is, I would rather see some random celebrity that I couldn't care less about play a game and make a fool out of them self than have be interviewed well since I don't care what they have to say in the first place.

Same thing goes for Kimmel. I think the best stuff he does is the mean tweets, the prank videos and when he messes with people on the street.

Edit: I don't watch any of the shows regularly either. 11:35 is way too late for me to get started on a show. I watch clips the next day when I hear/read that something good or funny happened.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    heres an idea, start a fucking Fallon thread and gush over in that.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I miss Dave. Haha
    But the interesting interviews are few and far between. 9 times out of time it is some celebrity plugging a movie. Would it be nice if Fallon was a better interviewer when he does have interesting guests on? Sure, but I guess I would prefer to be entertained with people doing funny stuff and then tune in when others do more serious interviews. My point is, I would rather see some random celebrity that I couldn't care less about play a game and make a fool out of them self than have be interviewed well since I don't care what they have to say in the first place.

Same thing goes for Kimmel. I think the best stuff he does is the mean tweets, the prank videos and when he messes with people on the street.

Edit: I don't watch any of the shows regularly either. 11:35 is way too late for me to get started on a show. I watch clips the next day when I hear/read that something good or funny happened.
    touché...I guess my point is a talk show host, who is actually a skilled and entertaining interviewer, can make those interviews entertaining. dave did that for 30 years.

I personally don't really give a shit about a celebrity playing games. don't they have some celebrity game night tv show already?

edit---the trump skit was funny....but it was funnier the first time he did it on snl with mick jagger.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I miss Dave. Haha

touché...I guess my point is a talk show host, who is actually a skilled and entertaining interviewer, can make those interviews entertaining. dave did that for 30 years.

I personally don't really give a shit about a celebrity playing games. don't they have some celebrity game night tv show already?

edit---the trump skit was funny....but it was funnier the first time he did it on snl with mick jagger.

Trump and Fallon have one thing in common. You're scratching your head how their numbers keep going up?
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I find Conan about as funny as cancer
  • Options
    And I like Fallon
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Really good Paul Simon cover band on Friday's show. Troubled Waters
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    fallon-#13
    colbert-#8
    both are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high:
    (stern #1, dave #2)

http://www.vulture.com/2015/09/32-greatest-talk-show-hosts-ever-ranked.html#
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

fallon-#13
    colbert-#8
    (stern #1, dave #2)

Word.

Terry Gross, the long-running host and executive producer of NPR’s "Fresh Air," is a boss: a fearless, legendarily well-prepared, intellectually omnivorous interviewer whose needle-sharp questions often lead to enlightening, occasionally heated exchanges with cultural and political icons. Bill O’Reilly stormed out of an interview, and Hillary Clinton got huffy when pressed on gay marriage. Gross’s greatest moment, though, came in a steel-cage match with Kiss’s face-painted vulgarian Gene Simmons, in 2002. Gross tossed grenades, and Simmons swallowed them whole. Gross: “Let's get to the studded codpiece. Do you have a sense of humor about that?” Simmons: “No … It holds in my manhood … Otherwise it would be too much for you to take. You'd have to put the book down and confront life. The notion is that if you want to welcome me with open arms, I'm afraid you're also going to have to welcome me with open legs.” Gross: “That's a really obnoxious thing to say.” And many exchanged insults later, finally, Gross: “My impression is you don't have much sympathy for anyone. You're just so deep into yourself.” Terry Gross: She gives no fucks.
  • Options

fallon-#13
    colbert-#8
    (stern #1, dave #2)

Also, I like Maron and all, but 5?
  • Options

fallon-#13
    colbert-#8
    (stern #1, dave #2)

Also, I like Maron and all, but 5?
    yeah....definitely some questionable rankings. i love seeing leno last though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I miss Dave. Haha

different era though Juggler. back before the internet celebs had to go on those types of shows to promote their shows and movies. they don't have to do that as much today. one there are now hundreds of tv channels available plus the internet. i mean does anyone really watch any of these shows to hear these celebs promote something? i am surprised there is even an audience for these late night shows anymore. other than PJ appearances i can't tell you the last time i stayed up to watch one of these shows.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I miss Dave. Haha
    It has nothing to do with attention spans, and I'm not clear on why your head went in that direction (but it's pretty condescending and oddly compartmentalized thinking, whether you're talking about me in particular or not). I am simply not that interested in comedians interviewing celebrities in any kind of serious way. It's useless info to me. If I want to be informed, I'm not going to seek it out on late night variety big network television where a comedian is running the show (there are other shows that blend comedy in that way that I would rather go to for that - John Stewart or Bill Maher, for example, because their shows are a different format). It's just about what we're looking for when we watch these late night shows. I am looking for a lot of fun, largely music-based entertainment so I can laugh (he does shit other than lip-synching btw, lol. There are good interviews on that show, FYI. They're just funnier). That said, I like Colbert just fine. I just have more fun watching Fallon, hearing more music, etc, and I don't have time for both, lol (but fwiw, it's ALL manufactured bits of entertainment; don't give too much credit where it isn't due).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I miss Dave. Haha
    It has nothing to do with attention spans, and I'm not clear on why your head went in that direction (but it's pretty condescending and oddly compartmentalized thinking, whether you're talking about me in particular or not). I am simply not that interested in comedians interviewing celebrities in any kind of serious way. It's useless info to me. If I want to be informed, I'm not going to seek it out on late night variety big network television where a comedian is running the show (there are other shows that blend comedy in that way that I would rather go to for that - John Stewart or Bill Maher, for example, because their shows are a different format). It's just about what we're looking for when we watch these late night shows. I am looking for a lot of fun, largely music-based entertainment so I can laugh (he does shit other than lip-synching btw, lol. There are good interviews on that show, FYI. They're just funnier). That said, I like Colbert just fine. I just have more fun watching Fallon, hearing more music, etc, and I don't have time for both, lol (but fwiw, it's ALL manufactured bits of entertainment; don't give too much credit where it isn't due).
    to each his/her own pjsoul!

gotta feeling i'm not gonna be watching much of any of these shows anymore unless there's a guest on i want to see anyway. oh well
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,855
    - Desperately seeking ONE ticket for Colbert 9/23
    - I'm missing the Central Park show and would love not to miss my favorite band in my hometown twice in one week
    - It's my only chance to see them this year
    - I will show up early (I'm taking the day off from work)
    - I've been around the boards for a while now- please someone help out!!!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2