What are your thoughts?
I miss igotid88

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    I thought it was a good first show. Sometimes first shows can be a little awkward.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Solid show, not really breaking the mold here but his question setting up Jeb comparing himself to his brother was uncanny.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I fell asleep right after the Sabra Hummus bit. Woke up to something about George Clooney and a fake/pretend movie? and shut it off.

I will try to find it online cuz I really did wanna watch it.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    edited September 2015
    Not bad.. I have never seen his comedy and I was laughing. The scripted late night shows are all the same. As far as conducting an interview..Stern is the only one who does it right.. Clooney is a Deusch
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I liked Report, but that was painful. 6 months to prep and that's what they came up with?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    I'm a Fallon girl.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm a Fallon girl.

His act is getting tired

I thought it was a pretty good first episode. As a huge Letterman fan, though, it just felt so strange seeing the Ed Sullivan Theater looking so different. Actually made me a little sad in a weird way.

Will they always do the opening credits after the monologue? That was odd.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    never saw much of colbert's stuff. what i have watched wasn't funny, therefore i am not interested. if someone wants to put up a hilarious little video (from his old show) i would take the time to check it out.

letterman is a riot as far as i'm concerned

carry on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

never saw much of colbert's stuff. what i have watched wasn't funny, therefore i am not interested. if someone wants to put up a hilarious little video (from his old show) i would take the time to check it out.

letterman is a riot as far as i'm concerned

carry on

How many laps have you swam so far today?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    zip, zero & none

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

I'm a Fallon girl.

His act is getting tired

Couldn't disagree more. I think he's the best late night talk show host ever. Just my opinion.
    I'm not too interested in Colbert. I didn't watch his Comedy Central show anymore either - now THAT was an act that got old, IMO. It's good he chose to move on. Letterman had a good run, but his retirement was past due IMO. He just seemed sick of the whole thing for the past few years.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm a Fallon girl.

His act is getting tired

Couldn't disagree more. I think he's the best late night talk show host ever. Just my opinion.
    I'm not too interested in Colbert. I didn't watch his Comedy Central show anymore either - now THAT was an act that got old, IMO. It's good he chose to move on. Letterman had a good run, but his retirement was past due IMO. He just seemed sick of the whole thing for the past few years.
    I never watched Colbert on Comedy Central so I can't speak to that getting old...

Fallon is the greatest tak show host ever??? Are you kidding? I don't even consider his show a "talk show." It's just like a variety show with a little bit of interviewing sprinkled in. I don't know, I just think there's only so many times I'll tune in to watch celebrities play charades. I'll take Conan over Fallon and I always forget Conan is still on TV.

Letterman's the all time champ and, to me, it's not even close.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm a Fallon girl.

His act is getting tired

I never watched Colbert on Comedy Central so I can't speak to that getting old...

Fallon is the greatest tak show host ever??? Are you kidding? I don't even consider his show a "talk show." It's just like a variety show with a little bit of interviewing sprinkled in. I don't know, I just think there's only so many times I'll tune in to watch celebrities play charades. I'll take Conan over Fallon and I always forget Conan is still on TV.

No, not kidding. I don't care about what it's called. I thought all of those shows were called late night talk shows, no?
    I love Fallon. I NEVER laughed as hard when I watched Letterman or Conan or anyone else. But I have at least a few truly hard laughs when I watch Fallon, and every once in a while I laugh so hard I cry. He's really funny, but he's also great and making his guests hilarious, which is awesome. And that, for me, wins the day when it comes to late night TV shows. :)
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm a Fallon girl.

His act is getting tired

No, not kidding. I don't care about what it's called. I thought all of those shows were called late night talk shows, no?
    I love Fallon. I NEVER laughed as hard when I watched Letterman or Conan or anyone else. But I have at least a few truly hard laughs when I watch Fallon, and every once in a while I laugh so hard I cry. He's really funny, but he's also great and making his guests hilarious, which is awesome. And that, for me, wins the day when it comes to late night TV shows. :)
    I hated Fallon when he was on SNL and I thought his standup was straight trash but I largely agree with you on this. Not sure about the best ever but in general watching celebrities play funny games and have fun is soooooo much better than watching celebrities talk about themselves, tell stories I couldn't give two shits about or talk about a random movie that I likely won't see.

The best part of letterman was when he did that kind of stuff too. Throwing footballs through windows, dropping stuff off the roof, etc.

• Options
    I like Fallon but in terms of laugh out loud. I don't get that from him. He's not a good interviewer. His interviewers seem like 2 minutes and then they play a game.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm a Fallon girl.

His act is getting tired

Ditto. Except i know Conan is on. And he makes me laugh to the point i can't breathe.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I caught it on cbs' website. It was good. I hope the musical number at the end isn't something that happens regularly, but it was fun for the first night. I thought the throwing to The Mentalist bit was funny. And the point where Colbert said to Jeb "you were soooooooooo close to getting them to clap for you" made me lol too.

I watched the Colbert Report sporadically. I am glad he didn't change the Colbert persona for the Late Show.

I cannot stand Jimmy Fallon. I've seen a LOT of funny bits with him and other people whether it's something like the Balls in your Mouth or the stuff he's done with Timberlake - and I think those are great and funny, but I've tried watching his show numerous times and I just can't deal with him as host. I've got a similar reaction to James Cordon. I loved him on A League of Their Own and Gavin & Stacey but I cannot fucking stand him as host of the Late Late show.

I never liked Letterman or Leno. Craig Ferguson was always my late show choice. I miss him. BUT since he quit that gig I got to see him LIVE for FREE last year so hey. Can't complain.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    I think it'll turn out great. First shows are often a little weird. Colbert is too smart and too funny to allow for mediocrity.

The whole Fallon is great talk in here is a bit strange. "Best ever?" Holy moly! To each his own but Fallon is. Itching more than a comedy writer. Painful monologue, terrible interviews....
  • Options
    And he has longtime Conan writer Brian Stack writing for him
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Jon Stewart was also signed on as a Executive Producer. Probably not a ton of input but that's something for sure!
  • Options
    Well I just disagree with some of you on Fallon. And I would argue the thing that separated Lettterman from him and the other guys was that he was equally good at the other stuff (throwing shit off the roof and interacting with the locals and all that nonsense) and interviewing. Dave really grew into a solid interviewer over the years and I absolutely laughed out loud during that portion of the show....but he was also a guy you took more seriously than others when important guests were on or during tough times (9/11). I don't see Fallon or anyone else having that kind of credibility.

And after two viewings of the new Late Show, I kind of get the feeling that Colbert's act may grow tired with me after some time as well. The guy's just over the top jovial. Is he gonna be dancing around like like a goofball every night?

Maybe I'm not in these guys' demographic anymore. Haha. I miss the old curmudgeon, Dave.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    igotid88 said:

I like Fallon but in terms of laugh out loud. I don't get that from him. He's not a good interviewer. His interviewers seem like 2 minutes and then they play a game.

That just isn't true... how many episodes have you watched? He has done some great interviews, and they are very rarely boring, which is the main problem with all the rest of these shows (I actually didn't realize so many people watched these shows specifically so that they can see movie stars talk about their kids or their new movies).

Anyway, that it why they have like 5 of these shows running every night. Because people find different things interesting or funny. I think Jimmy Fallon is hilarious, and is also by far the most genuine and relatable host, personality wise. And maybe most importantly, he is the only music mega-fan in the bunch, and it shows every night. He has the best musical guests, and gushes about music nightly, and I love that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Fallon best ever?? He's been doing this for 2 yrs max?? The games are getting a little boring and korny for me..there is humor during the show I can agree. Interviews are terrible. Musical interaction..top notch with roots.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Wma31394 said:

Fallon best ever?? He's been doing this for 2 yrs max?? The games are getting a little boring and korny for me..there is humor during the show I can agree. Interviews are terrible. Musical interaction..top notch with roots.

Yeah, it's just an opinion of mine, lol. I didn't mean it was a cold hard fact. I definitely think he's WAY better than Letterman ever was. I only thought Letterman was okay at best. These shows were never really my thing at all until Fallon came along. Yes, the music factor on Fallon is very important to me.
    But back on track, I thought Colbert's first show was fine. I REALLY enjoyed the Trump/Oreo bit, lol. I thought he talked over Jeb Bush too much, but it was his first show, so I'm thinking it was probably nerves. But overall, any episode of Fallon is more enjoyable than that first Colbert show IMO. That said, I do like the heavier focus on politics that Colbert will necessarily bring. Fallon doesn't do that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

That just isn't true... how many episodes have you watched? He has done some great interviews, and they are very rarely boring, which is the main problem with all the rest of these shows (I actually didn't realize so many people watched these shows specifically so that they can see movie stars talk about their kids or their new movies).

Anyway, that it why they have like 5 of these shows running every night. Because people find different things interesting or funny. I think Jimmy Fallon is hilarious, and is also by far the most genuine and relatable host, personality wise. And maybe most importantly, he is the only music mega-fan in the bunch, and it shows every night. He has the best musical guests, and gushes about music nightly, and I love that.
    That's really it isn't it? He strikes me as the sort of person I'd actively avoid. Colbert is more of a smart ass which I can definitely relate to lol.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

That's really it isn't it? He strikes me as the sort of person I'd actively avoid. Colbert is more of a smart ass which I can definitely relate to lol.
    Oh, see I like Fallon's exuberance (plus he comes off like a genuinely nice person). He is fucking stoked to be doing what he's doing, and I like that you can see it all over his face and in everything he does. It makes me feel good. :)
    I like Colbert too.... I'd be pretty excited to hang out with either one of them. But I know I'd get along better with Fallon because he's a music fanboy.