Options

'Release' PJ20 Alpine Valley Night #1 - your memories

2»

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    chill bumps... probably the single most surreal moment of the 600+ shows I have seen in my lifetime.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    It just felt right. In that moment, twenty years removed from their beginnings, it was like they'd bridged time and photo-lapsed two decades over the course of one song. After all the effort of getting to Alpine, all the joy of the pre-party meeting new friends from around the globe, the build up that day with other bands, and slogging thru less than perfect weather, them opening up with Release was a reminder that everything was ok...well....more than ok; everything at that moment was perfect and just as it should be. What an incredible weekend of celebration, camaraderie and music.

Let's do it all again next year :grin:
  • Options
    mr.macmr.mac Posts: 162
    Yeah, this song...whew...the first time I heard it live was at the Chicago Stadium in 94 and I can still hear/feel the crowd roar in the moment. Same with Soldier Field in 95. Just overwhelming. PJ20 was probably the moment when I knew that I could never connect to another song the way I connect to Release. It touches my soul in ways I cannot describe. It feels as if it was written just for me, and yet, I bet each of us can make that same exact claim.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    lolobugg said:

chill bumps... probably the single most surreal moment of the 600+ shows I have seen in my lifetime.

600 haha
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    edited August 2015
    Wma31394 said:

lolobugg said:

600 haha
    oh... I meant all shows.. not just PJ shows... sorry :lol:
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    penny lane2penny lane2 Illinois Posts: 81
    I remember it so vividly. I cried. I was in the moment for sure. I love those times the band gives us. So much all day built up to that moment too.
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there...."
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

It was kind of crazy for me too. My first trip to America, and first time travelling solo. I had 3 weeks ahead of me with lots of adventures. I had arrived the day before, completely fucked by the heat and the long flight. I met so many people in my first moments that I only knew online before. This was my trip to finally break free from old, nasty relationship wounds. I met a guy at the preparty that I had talked briefly to for travel tips to Detroit on the boards before. There was something between us right away and I was stunned and happy to have a sexy Detroit guide and sleepover later in my trip. In that mood, already the first day started out pretty fabulous. Then the day of the show. The thunderstorm, the rain, the long lines for the merch. Coming to that venue, seeing all these people and knowing that we all like the same shit and this was what's gonna go down that weekend. That was kind of overwhelming. I loved every second of it. I was already getting a kick out of the Qotsa performance and had a great time the whole day, but when PJ came on, it all came together and all made sense and I was the happiest person in the world standing there with all these like-minded freaks, having goosebumps all over the body and just let go and enjoy.
    I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. And this time, with my husband - that guy I met at the preparty - and without international travel, cause I live here now :smiley:

That is awesome! Hail, Hail
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I think they have delayed the release because the performances were not up to par to celebrate 20 years
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    my2hands said:

I think they have delayed the release because the performances were not up to par to celebrate 20 years

Yeah, some of the rare stuff was a bit sloppy, but still.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    matched only by Wash the next night

oh and by Breath & a scream the same night

oh and by No Way the next night

oh and by Unthought Known the whatevereth amongst thems night
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I totally agree..yea the shows were a blast but the band did sound rough with all the guests spots..I really don't care to hear those shows again.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

I totally agree..yea the shows were a blast but the band did sound rough with all the guests spots..I really don't care to hear those shows again.

Given the gravity of the event though it just makes zero sense not to release it. They've played not so great shows for lesser reasons and released those.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    EvieVedderEvieVedder NW Indiana Posts: 461

It was kind of crazy for me too. My first trip to America, and first time travelling solo. I had 3 weeks ahead of me with lots of adventures. I had arrived the day before, completely fucked by the heat and the long flight. I met so many people in my first moments that I only knew online before. This was my trip to finally break free from old, nasty relationship wounds. I met a guy at the preparty that I had talked briefly to for travel tips to Detroit on the boards before. There was something between us right away and I was stunned and happy to have a sexy Detroit guide and sleepover later in my trip. In that mood, already the first day started out pretty fabulous. Then the day of the show. The thunderstorm, the rain, the long lines for the merch. Coming to that venue, seeing all these people and knowing that we all like the same shit and this was what's gonna go down that weekend. That was kind of overwhelming. I loved every second of it. I was already getting a kick out of the Qotsa performance and had a great time the whole day, but when PJ came on, it all came together and all made sense and I was the happiest person in the world standing there with all these like-minded freaks, having goosebumps all over the body and just let go and enjoy.
    I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. And this time, with my husband - that guy I met at the preparty - and without international travel, cause I live here now :smiley:

This is the best story in the whole world. I love your love! Find me a PJ husband too! Maybe I'll have some luck at PJ25.
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones...
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    Chills when I was there? Hell, I just got chills reading the first post asking the question and picturing myself standing in the lawn, hearing the opening notes. What a great weekend.
  • Options

Chills when I was there? Hell, I just got chills reading the first post asking the question and picturing myself standing in the lawn, hearing the opening notes. What a great weekend.

Chills typing it up
    www.cluthelee.com