Options

What would Mike think of this? - Update

The NorthThe North Posts: 95
edited July 2015 in The Porch
I know Mike Mcready is really great with fans......he makes sure everyone gets an autograph and photo when fans run into him.
I wonder what he would think of Jimmy Page......saw it on the local news the other day.

Jimmy Page was in Toronto a few days ago for a book "signing". He actually did not sign a single book, but rather had a large stamp that he used for the books......if I remember correctly, it had a Zofo symbol and "Toronto 2015" on the stamp. What to make of this? A douche move? or something more legit....like he's got arthritis and cannot tolerate signing that many books?
I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and the fans still looked pretty happy to meet him.

Would Mike ever pull a move like that?

just came across this. It possibly explains why he would stamp the books rather than sign them......it's a reissue and the original run was super limited and hand signed by page....they went for $700 each. Probably stamped them to preserve the value of the original.....and I'm prety certain it was advertised as a book "stamping" vs "signing.
quote from publisher to a concerned purchaser of the original:

The new edition of " Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page " that is due to be published shortly is a more accessible and affordable version of our original signed, limited edition which sold out within a few months of publication.

This is a hard back book, printed on lighter paper and with a smaller page size. The edition is not limited and is obviously not signed or numbered as your book is. Please be assured that publication of this version does not devalue your highly collectible limited edition in any way.

those Zeppelin fans must be obsessed with memorabilia! ...Strange
Post edited by The North on

Comments

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    Since we don't know the reasons he had for doing this, though the arthritis idea has merit, judging him for it in any way seems douchy.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,259
    I've never tried asking mike for his autograph, I barely had the never to ask for a picture. Then again Mike seem's to give either out freely. I didn't have to buy a book or wait in line. All I needed was random luck :)

But yah... if your advertising a book signing, and most likely everyone has to buy a book to participate, then you should probably mention they are only be stamped ahead of time, and see who still shows up. Communication is always key.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Since we don't know the reasons he had for doing this, though the arthritis idea has merit, judging him for it in any way seems douchy.

Yeah.

Plus meeting Page, period, would be fucking awesome! That beats the tangible every time.

As for what Mike would or wouldn't do, or think of it...does it matter?

• Options

I don't necessarily think it's a douche move myself, just asking the question.....I guess that makes me a douche in your book.

• Options
    Zod said:

I've never tried asking mike for his autograph, I barely had the never to ask for a picture. Then again Mike seem's to give either out freely. I didn't have to buy a book or wait in line. All I needed was random luck :)

But yah... if your advertising a book signing, and most likely everyone has to buy a book to participate, then you should probably mention they are only be stamped ahead of time, and see who still shows up. Communication is always key.

I'm not sure how it was communicated/advertised to the public, just thought it was interesting and was tying to keep things relevant to a Pearl Jam forum by bringing Mike's behaviour into the conversation as a comparison.......I guess I'll keep my thoughts to myself :)
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    The North said:

Zod said:

I'm not sure how it was communicated/advertised to the public, just thought it was interesting and was tying to keep things relevant to a Pearl Jam forum by bringing Mike's behaviour into the conversation as a comparison.......I guess I'll keep my thoughts to myself :)
    Please do not. I enjoyed reading your post.

I would have been put off by the stamp but wouldn't have cared.

Mike doesn't carry around a stamp right?? :lol: We are in good hands with Mike I think. I would be too scared to even look in his direction he might give me the stare I've been hearing about :tired_face:

I am ecstatic just to be in the same city same venue they are gosh let alone actually meet one of them! Ahhhhh!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,569
    The North said:

I know Mike Mcready is really great with fans......he makes sure everyone gets an autograph and photo when fans run into him.
    I wonder what he would think of Jimmy Page......saw it on the local news the other day.

Jimmy Page was in Toronto a few days ago for a book "signing". He actually did not sign a single book, but rather had a large stamp that he used for the books......if I remember correctly, it had a Zofo symbol and "Toronto 2015" on the stamp. What to make of this? A douche move? or something more legit....like he's got arthritis and cannot tolerate signing that many books?
    I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and the fans still looked pretty happy to meet him.

Not sure what exactly this has to do with Mike per se, but what I can tell you is that Jimmy Page originally released 2,500 copies of his autobiography personally signed @ $700 each and this current book tour is promoting the re-release of the autobiography @ $55 each. If I had paid $700 directly I'd be a little more than annoyed that someone could buy a copy at the bookstore for $55 just prior to Jimmy signing it in person. Jimmy made a conscious effort to differentiate one run from another, which allows those who shelled out $700 to still protect their investment.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Jerry Rice pulled that one on me in 1992 via mail, but his QB Joe Montana? Signed my fucking card by hand.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

The North said:

Not sure what exactly this has to do with Mike per se, but what I can tell you is that Jimmy Page originally released 2,500 copies of his autobiography personally signed @ $700 each and this current book tour is promoting the re-release of the autobiography @ $55 each. If I had paid $700 directly I'd be a little more than annoyed that someone could buy a copy at the bookstore for $55 just prior to Jimmy signing it in person. Jimmy made a conscious effort to differentiate one run from another, which allows those who shelled out $700 to still protect their investment.
    you beat me to it....thanks for the info though.

Just bringing Mike into to it ti keep it relevant to this forum. I've heard Mike say that a lot of his behaviours towards fans now is a direct reflection of how he wanted to be treated as a fan of bands himself when he was younger.....thought it was relavant to the conversation.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,613
    edited July 2015
    If it was marketed as a book signing, then that's wrong and anyone who showed up would be getting short changed. Stamping them is not a book signing. It was false advertising at best.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I've met Mike several times. The first time, I happened to have my Mad Season vinyl with me (a lovely friend was intent on getting me to meet him). So another fan was there, and Mike stopped, chatted with us, he shoved a few picks in our hands, the other guy asked me to take a pic of him and Mike. Mike sees I have a camera and says, "hey lets get a pic together!" ok sure. Asked him to sign my vinyl, and he actually opened it up, said "I haven't seen a final copy of this, they did a really nice job".

No reason to be shy or anything...he's super approachable. Say 'hi', shake his hand. Last time I saw him, he asked me my name, I don't know if he'll remember, but I'll test him next time I see him. image
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    BrokenGlassBrokenGlass Posts: 298
    PJ_Soul said:

If it was marketed as a book signing, then that's wrong and anyone who showed up would be getting short changed. Stamping them is not a book signing. It was false advertising at best.

Does it really make a difference if he signed his name, marked an X, or used a custom-made ZOSO stamp? As long as no one but Jimmy Page has that stamp, and only he uses it to "sign" a copy of his book, it serves the same purpose as a signature, at least as far as collectable value. All of this is true, by the way. I own a copy of the trade edition, ordered directly from the publisher, Genesis Publications. Only Jimmy Page is using this stamp, so its authenticity is guaranteed. It is truly a great book, BTW. Check out the Genesis website if you want to see some truly awesome limited edition rock and roll collectibles.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,613

PJ_Soul said:

Does it really make a difference if he signed his name, marked an X, or used a custom-made ZOSO stamp? As long as no one but Jimmy Page has that stamp, and only he uses it to "sign" a copy of his book, it serves the same purpose as a signature, at least as far as collectable value. All of this is true, by the way. I own a copy of the trade edition, ordered directly from the publisher, Genesis Publications. Only Jimmy Page is using this stamp, so its authenticity is guaranteed. It is truly a great book, BTW. Check out the Genesis website if you want to see some truly awesome limited edition rock and roll collectibles.
    Well not that I'm personally invested, but I would think that it would really make a difference to a lot of fans. The difference between an original signature and stamp is massive for collectors.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well not that I'm personally invested, but I would think that it would really make a difference to a lot of fans. The difference between an original signature and stamp is massive for collectors.
    Things were also auto-penned back in the day, letters from presidents and what not. Not that it's cool, but I think people do have some sort of expectation when they go to a 'book signing'. Also, it's really easy to replicate a stamp and have one made inexpensively.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,937
    100 Pacer said:

The North said:

Came to mention this.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    This makes me look forward to my signed Backspacer
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited July 2015

Jerry Rice pulled that one on me in 1992 via mail, but his QB Joe Montana? Signed my fucking card by hand.

I used to mail cards to teams when I was nine or ten. Joe Montana signed mine legit and it was sent back too. Some I never got back from guys. Others were just returned with no signature. It was a huge deal to me back then.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148

I used to mail cards to teams when I was nine or ten. Joe Montana signed mine legit and it was sent back too. Some I never got back from guys. Others were just returned with no signature. It was a huge deal to me back then.
    The Rice autograph came on an 8x10 and had a stamped letter from the 49ers front office - had the 4 Lombardi trophy icons embedded into the letterhead. So fucking cool.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

The Rice autograph came on an 8x10 and had a stamped letter from the 49ers front office - had the 4 Lombardi trophy icons embedded into the letterhead. So fucking cool.
    Nice.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    mike is totally cool and friendly. when he saw the poster i had from maui (a local one) he signed it and told me it was the same one on his wall at home. he was very surprised i had one. there were so few made .