Options

Working class vs the machine

cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
With working class routes, great grandad was a farmer, dad was a gardener your identity is created by your routes. Music is being out priced by corporations to a point myself where my family and friends cannot afford to attend any concert. I've respected pearl jam greatly for keeping price tickets down and and at Milton Keynes we got our money's worth. But now particularly festivals are out of the price range of regular punters, a ticket is is a weeks work, plus expenses. Got bills, food , fuel, impossible for many, not asking for sympathy, but Jesus we all just want a good time. I remember attending Phoenix festival, Stratford upon Avon , UK in 96, ticket was around. 50quid, still steep, but the quality of entertainment was more alternative, different generation, different times, managed to survive with no tent or food, which led to some kind if of altered state!! So where's the representation of the working man, punk did it, particularly the sex pistols and the uk subs , we work all year for f#*k all and just want to be entertained, not by fortunate sons, but by someone with awareness of ordinary men and women. The machine keeps moving, and someday the festivals will be reclaimed by the foundation of every pyramid, the working man and woman. Peace.

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    *slowly backs away and quietly leaves thread*
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Not angry love, just honest....probably just hit on some kind of truth . All apologies ........
  • Options
    scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    As much as i dont like paying steep ticket prices i think the cost of staging a concert/festival has increased dramatically over the last few years and the current prices reflect the change in the organising costs not the bands demands themselves.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more, but shouldn't prices reflect the average wage of the average citizen....good point , so who's getting the money then?!
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    Tell everyone to start paying for albums and singles, then you'll get your less expensive concert tix.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    no rule breaking is there
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I think it's just that when it comes to income inequality and the socio-economic oppression of the working class, the price of concert tickets isn't particularly high on the agenda. Usually things like education, housing, healthcare top the list.
    I do agree with you though. It sucks that ticket prices are so high.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,959
    edited July 2015
    It's society. People now want to be at these shows and demand is exceeding supply. I think ticket prices have gone up due to the secondary market being so high.

I will pay what it costs to see PJ because I get so much more from the experience than seeing other bands. But it is unfair in general that fans are being outpriced
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    cydonia said:

... so who's getting the money then?!

The CEOs of all the companies it takes to put on a show.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited July 2015
    Actually, artists (and their crews) still apparently get an average of 76% of ticket sales.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Tell everyone to start paying for albums and singles, then you'll get your less expensive concert tix.

This.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,731

This.
    Plus 2. Good point.

That said, I agree ticket prices are out of hand. In 1969 I attended one day of the Northern California Folk-Rock festival and saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Taj Majal, Lee Michaels, Sandy Bull and a number of other great acts. I was a senior in high school. Tickets for that all day event cost me about two hours worth of wages from my part-time, minimum wage job.

There is one other factor that should be considered: The continued population explosion. Big bands today attract huge numbers of fans- more than ever today. In the late 60's anyone could see any major act they wanted. Just buy a ticket and go.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    why so expensive?
    let's see...
    we live in fraidy cat society so we need 1000 cops being paid overtime to watch a show
    the road crews are usually union employed so we have to pay for that wage
    all the riders for the bands and their entourages
    i'm sure NYC is taking a piece
    garbage removal
    advertising
    toilets
    and the list goes on
    and the fan gets the bill
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    The fact someone can complain about ticket prices means someone could be doing a lot worse in life. White people 1st world problems
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402

The fact someone can complain about ticket prices means someone could be doing a lot worse in life.

Perfectly put.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

The fact someone can complain about ticket prices means someone could be doing a lot worse in life.

Perfectly put.
    Jerparker20 I see when you requoted pledgeagrievance you left out the last line:
    "White people 1st world problems"

A line that makes his entire stmt idiotic.

London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited July 2015
    Edit
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,810
    edited July 2015
    Idiotic? How so? If people are going complain about something, People should put their time and energy into something more important than concert tickets. Opinion, not idiotic. And if u notice, I could b baited into calling u an idiot but I won't. It's your opinion that it's idiotic. Good on ya. Now, travel to a third world country, talk to them about ticket prices and how they should be lowered because of the man. They will appreciate it
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • Options
    MisterEtake2MisterEtake2 Posts: 372
    It really comes down to artists and promoters charging what people will pay. Some like Pearl Jam and Springsteen make a conscious effort to keep prices down. Most like the Stones and U2 don't care. Sad, but that's the way it is now.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Tickets may be more expensive, I still think they are one of the best bargains going today.
    Its the beer and concessions that have lost all control.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    hsohi said:

Perfectly put.
    Jerparker20 I see when you requoted pledgeagrievance you left out the last line:

A line that makes his entire stmt idiotic.

I didnt feel that part of the statement was necessary to make the point. The part I quoted was what mattered.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Malroth said:

Tickets may be more expensive, I still think they are one of the best bargains going today.
    Its the beer and concessions that have lost all control.

Agreed. Went to a local baseball game and a large lemonade was $5.95. Ice cream was $6. I'm not drinking alcohol right now so not sure on that but the food was astronomical too. $4 for plain french fries. $5 funnel cake. It wasn't even a national league.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

No truer words have ever been spoken.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,959

Perfectly put.
    Such rubbish IMO. You could attribute this to most things in life but at the end of the day it's about relevance to your life.

I get annoyed when my favourite sports team gets beat, when things go wrong at work or if I miss out on a PJ merch sale I was interested in. Sure none of this is life or death stuff, but to me at that time it is important.

And if I was priced out of seeing PJ I would be gutted. 1st world problem? It surely is, but doesn't mean I shouldn't care.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Better argument than the one who called me an idiot. Gets points for using the word rubbish too
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    tino_11 said:

Perfectly put.
    Such rubbish IMO. You could attribute this to most things in life but at the end of the day it's about relevance to your life.

I get annoyed when my favourite sports team gets beat, when things go wrong at work or if I miss out on a PJ merch sale I was interested in. Sure none of this is life or death stuff, but to me at that time it is important.

And if I was priced out of seeing PJ I would be gutted. 1st world problem? It surely is, but doesn't mean I shouldn't care.
    I have to agree.

People are allowed to complain about ticket prices. Just as they are allowed to complain about the weather, or their job. People are allowed to have emotions, and are also allowed to vent their frustrations. If each time I complained to the wife about having to mow the lawn, and she replied with, "Do you know how many starving children there are in Africa"? .......I don't know...

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 926
    Really depends on the show...
    I go to concerts in the chicago/milwaukee area often for next to nothing, hell sometimes actually nothing
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    The whole first world problems quip is so played out IMO.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

The whole first world problems quip is so played out IMO.

Same with the whole "white people" thing....Remember the line posted was:

A lot of non-white people who live in the first world also have complaints about ticket prices.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I thought the first world concert problem was the GA line list????
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville