Options

Vinyl lovers please help!

Ok. Here is the deal. I have $110 store credit at two stores within 40minutes of each other. IMO most of the time the vinyl at these particular stores is overpriced. I typically by used vinyl on the cheap but with the credit would like to indulge in some newer, new vinyl. Here are my limited options:

Store A has:

Temple of the Dog, (purple vinyl/limited edition?) for $50 – is this a good price? Seems kinda pricey, also a lot of people say colored vinyl is more noisy than black, any comments on this would be helpful.

Vs. recent remaster for $25

Backspacer and Sirens, but I can't remember their prices maybe, $35

Store B has:

Mad Season “Above” recent remaster w/newer tracks for $35

Vs. recent remaster, one for $30 and one for $40 – can’t figure that out? Didn’t physically see them, this was told to me over the phone.

Yield for $30 my question for this one is, is this a bootleg? I ask because they also have “Monkey Business” which I know is a bootleg of there 98 monkey wrench radio recordings and I have no interest in this as I read the vinyl was not worth the money. They haven’t officially released this on vinyl have they? Was yield released on vinyl upon first release of itself.

All vinyl is new/sealed.

So my thoughts are to grab Temple of the Dog, Vs. and Mad Season but want to make sure that those that own these vinyls are happy with them (good masters, sound quality and dynamics) and that the price points seem fair. Temple of The Dog, black vinyl is at another local store for $40, which makes me think $50 for the purple is a good deal, but again… leery about the purples vinyl’s quality. I don't purchase vinyl thinking about worth, just to play but the more I think about it, if the purple TOTD was limited and is sold out.... $50 is probably a decent price, huh? Lastly, I recently purchased my first turntable (a Project Debut DC) and the only PJ related vinyl I own is Vitalogy original 94 pressing, so this is exciting.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    Yield for $30 sounds like a bootleg. If its not thats a great price. A legit copy was released originally in 1998. The 1998 copy has on the spine E68164 . The reissues of vs you could probably get for cheaper on the net somewhere. If the $40 copy of vs is the original thats a gokd price it has z53136 on the spine. Cant help you with the temple of dog or mad season ones but check discogs.com and they should give you a good price guide.
  • Options
    nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Maine Posts: 857

Yield for $30 sounds like a bootleg. If its not thats a great price. A legit copy was released originally in 1998. The 1998 copy has on the spine E68164 . The reissues of vs you could probably get for cheaper on the net somewhere. If the $40 copy of vs is the original thats a gokd price it has z53136 on the spine. Cant help you with the temple of dog or mad season ones but check discogs.com and they should give you a good price guide.

I would agree with this. The Mad Season and TOTD prices seem right at market value. Especially for the purple vinyl. A record store near me has a new Mad Season right around that price.

Can't comment on the sound for the purple TOTD but my reissue on black vinyl sounded great. And for what it's worth the Mad Season record is one of the better sounding vinyl I own I think.
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited July 2015

I would agree with this. The Mad Season and TOTD prices seem right at market value. Especially for the purple vinyl. A record store near me has a new Mad Season right around that price.

Can't comment on the sound for the purple TOTD but my reissue on black vinyl sounded great. And for what it's worth the Mad Season record is one of the better sounding vinyl I own I think.
    Yes I paid close to that for Mad Season. More than one person had told me it was one of the best sounding lps they've heard. I bought it and add me to that list. Great record and amazing remaster.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Mad Season reissue is one of the best sounding LPs, phenomenal sound
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,901
    I'd go with Temple. Purple is the rarest and it sounds great. Fifty bucks for the purple is reasonable and is the most legit harder to find in the things you listed.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    Purple TOTD sounds awesome. I think I paid $75 for it and it was worth it.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    I would go to both. Store A for the purple TOTD (I have it and sounds fantastic), then off to store B for Mad Season (like others have mentioned, one of the best sounding LP's I own) and grab the $40 VS. if it's the original. If not, grab what I'm guessing is the reissue of VS. for $30, which is slightly overpriced (talking $5). Finally go home and spin the shit out of those albums! :rock_on:
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    check yield first and foremost

then Purple, then mad- you can get the reissues for way cheaper
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I would do Mad Season at Store B, and TOTD, Vs Remaster for $25 at Store A. There's your $110 :)

No way that Yield is original if it's sealed. But I guess maybe check up on it before you decide that. I just think that anything that's too good to be true probably is.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,612
    I don't think any record store would be selling a sealed original Yield for $30. Must be the bootleg.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    yield is a boot. stay away. VS. remaster is probably garbage if it is anything like the Ten remaster. grab the Temple and Mad season.
    coloured vinyl sounding more noisy that black is a myth.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I wouldn't be able to stop myself from putting in the effort to make the drive and check out if that Yield is legit, especially if I want to buy something there anyway.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    This reminds me of those fucking word problems in Math.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    TOTD purple was $40 new, so $50 isn't bad at all. And as lolobugg suggested, there is no sound difference between black & colored vinyl. Picture discs are where you'll notice a little sound degradation, but even then it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

If a train leaves Boston for Saint Louis at 3:30 p.m. on a Thursday, traveling at 75 miles per hour for most of the 1,200 miles, save for two hours when it slows down to 50 miles per hour, and a bus travels from New York City to Sarasota (same departure day/time) at an average speed of 60 miles per hour for the 1,200 miles, with a one-hour stop for food, fuel and maintenance, who can fall asleep fastest before finishing this sentence?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    KP198228KP198228 Posts: 8
    WOW, thank you very much everyone. This is very helpful. I plan on checking out the Yield (I agree, most likely a boot) then purchasing the Mad Season from Store B which is the one that is a bit of a ride. Then Sat morning I plan snagging the TOTD purple at the more local store. The info about the numbers on the spine was great, and maybe I will get lucky and grab and original pressing, but I'm not holding my breathe.

I'm still debating about the Vs. reissue/master. How come some say that it is "garbage. The first three are truly special and I was hoping to eventually pick up the Ten reissue but again "garbage" why is there this opinion? I have the Ten reissue on CD and I think the Brendan O'Brien mix is absolutely brilliant and the way to listen to the album, yet others frown upon the vinyl editions....?

BTW, the "this reminds me of the math word problem" and the example "who can fall asleep fastest before finishing this sentence"?...tremendous! I was cracking up.
  • Options
    Yield did come out on vinyl when first released, but it sells for a LOT more than $30 if it's the real one.

Wait for the soon-to-be released vault box set 3 with No Code and Yield. That'll be more worth it.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

Hahaha!!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    KP198228 said:

WOW, thank you very much everyone. This is very helpful. I plan on checking out the Yield (I agree, most likely a boot) then purchasing the Mad Season from Store B which is the one that is a bit of a ride. Then Sat morning I plan snagging the TOTD purple at the more local store. The info about the numbers on the spine was great, and maybe I will get lucky and grab and original pressing, but I'm not holding my breathe.

I'm still debating about the Vs. reissue/master. How come some say that it is "garbage. The first three are truly special and I was hoping to eventually pick up the Ten reissue but again "garbage" why is there this opinion? I have the Ten reissue on CD and I think the Brendan O'Brien mix is absolutely brilliant and the way to listen to the album, yet others frown upon the vinyl editions....?

BTW, the "this reminds me of the math word problem" and the example "who can fall asleep fastest before finishing this sentence"?...tremendous! I was cracking up.

I can only speak for the Ten Reissue, but it was transferred from a digital master and was a poor job at that. Just sounds dead.... compressed to hell. If you put it on after the Drop in the Park record you can really tell the difference. Save up and look for an original copy. The prices have really fallen since the Reissues came out.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,612
    lolobugg said:

KP198228 said:

I can only speak for the Ten Reissue, but it was transferred from a digital master and was a poor job at that. Just sounds dead.... compressed to hell. If you put it on after the Drop in the Park record you can really tell the difference. Save up and look for an original copy. The prices have really fallen since the Reissues came out.
    I agree about the Ten reissue. I have it but never play it. I need to get an original. Same with Vs, actually. And Vitalogy isn't a good reissue either. The OG is way better. So to summarize, PJ is putting out crappy reissues, so when you see an original, spring for it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata