Options

Watching the movie SINGLES at the SINGLES HOUSE *update. CANCELED!!!

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023
edited July 2015 in The Porch
https://www.facebook.com/events/850713158352133/

Sunday, July 5 at 9:00pm - 12:00am in PDT

http://grungebook.tumblr.com/post/122009999155/singles-building-movie-screening

Artist and Sub Pop receptionist Derek Erdman is organizing a screening of Singles in the courtyard of the Singles apartment complex. It will take place July 5th, unless this turns out to be another Erdman prank:

OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME: I’ve recently come across a TV with a built in VCR and a VHS copy of SINGLES and asked a person who lives in the building where SINGLES was filmed if we could watch SINGLES in the courtyard of the SINGLES building. This is quite possibly the only chance you’ll ever have to watch this 1992 “classic” grunge rom-com at the place where this 1992 “classic” grunge rom-com was filmed.

I’m guessing if we get enough people to come to this event, at least one person from the movie will come, perhaps the guy who was a mime or Bill Pullman or at least all of the members of Soundgarden. Remember: “A compliment for us, is a compliment for you.”

SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS, LET’S GET THE WHOLE CITY INTO THE COURTYARD OF THE SINGLES HOUSE.

Pam: I will make popcorn with whom ever I want to!
Debbie Hunt: You’ve made popcorn with half of the city!
Pam: Well at least I don’t have to CHASE the popcorn!
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Pretty cool. Opportunity of a lifetime? Ehh.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    False mecca.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    http://www.seattleweekly.com/home/959377-129/1000-people-to-watch-singles-on

1000 People to Watch 'Singles' on a Single TV/VHS Set at the Singles House
    Relive Seattle grunge history with thousands of strangers in the courtyard of a Capitol Hill apartment building this Sunday.
    By Dusty Henry Tue., Jun 30 2015 at 06:19PM

Touch Me, I'm Derek. Photo by Ashley Armitage

Derek Erdman is always up to something. The Seattle artist and Sub Pop receptionist runs his own revenge rap call-service under the name Rap Master Maurice, maintains a free psychic hotline, and posted a widely circulated hoax-Craigslist ad posing as Kurt Cobain’s former roommate trying to sell the singer’s old skis ($80) and Swatch phone ($55). Now Erdman’s readying his most ambitious endeavor yet: a public mass screening of Cameron Crowe’s grunge-era blockbuster, Singles, hosted in the courtyard of Capitol Hill’s Coryell Court Apartments—the building in which the film’s Pearl Jam-fueled, lovelorn main characters live. In just a week and a half, Erdman’s amassed over 1,000 Facebook RSVPs to the event. Ominous threats from the landlord loom over the gathering, but Erdman isn’t backing down.

“If I go to jail over this, somebody had better bail me out,” Erdman says. “Or at least help out with the fines.” This may be the only opportunity modern grunge fans will get to hear Citizen Dick’s “Touch Me I’m Dick” as it was meant to be heard: on a single TV/VHS combo set with thousands of strangers in a courtyard.

SW: Where did you get the idea for this?
    Erdman: A group of friends and I watch movies in the courtyard of our apartment every Wednesday night. The idea for Singles hit me while half-paying attention to Die Hard: With a Vengeance—that it would be nice to watch a movie at a place where the actual movie was filmed. I first considered showing The Parallax View on top of the Space Needle, but that seemed, uh, too ambitious.

How did you get in touch with people at the Singles house?
    I walked by the Singles building to get an idea of how many people could fit in the front yard and happened to see a tenant leaving, and ran the idea past her. She loved it, and said that I could run an extension cord from her apartment for power. I have to imagine everybody who lives there knows of the building’s significance—there are people taking pictures outside of it all of the time.

Will you be showing the film on just the one TV with the VHS player? Will the 1,000-plus RSVP’d guests be able to see the screen?
    Yes, just a TV with a built-in VCR. That part is really important to me, for it to be that simple. The point of this event isn’t to comfortably enjoy the cinematic masterpiece that is Singles or to witness Matt Dillon’s role of a lifetime. I can’t even imagine that it will last longer than 15 minutes, you know?

Where did you find the fated VHS copy you’ll be using for this ceremony?
    Value Village on 11th Avenue. I also scored three Glassybabies and a Kid Sensation 12˝ on the same visit. It was a radically Seattle shopping experience.

Word has it that the landlord has threatened to arrest people who come on the property. Do you foresee this being an issue? Is there an escape plan?
    I don’t care if it’s an issue, I’m just trying to give the people what they want. In a way, a compliment for the building is a compliment for him as well. If things get too out of hand, I advise everybody to just run away singing that “nah-nah-nah-nah” Paul Westerberg song.

Do you have any surprises in store, like special guests?
    Nothing guaranteed, but I’ve received messages from people who are close to James Le Gros and Tom Skerritt and have suggested they might stop by. A friend of mine’s father was an extra in the Alice in Chains scene; he might attend. Somebody who claims to own Janet’s car said they’d bring it by. There will also be some commemorative buttons and T-shirts given away. It’s going to rule so hard. If Tad and Xavier McDaniel dropped in, it would rule slightly harder.

The first 50 guests will receive this free t-shirt of Erdman's design.

What do you think Citizen Dick would sound like if they formed today?
    I can’t imagine any different than they did then. Their place in music seemed perfectly cemented. I guess it would be cool if they had a more updated name, though, like Citizen Wolf Dick.

What current Seattle artists do you think would be essential to a Singles reboot?
    Tacocat is essentially Alice in Chains already, and Chastity Belt are a blatant Soundgarden ripoff. Dude York ably backing Cliff Poncier played by Dave Meinert in Citizen Wolf Dick? Shit, man, I dunno. Porter Ray could be the mime—that guy is totally cool.

What morals and life lessons do you hope people take away from the screening?
    Even in the quagmire that is society today, dreams can still come true. The landlord of the Singles apartment can’t have 1,200 people arrested at once. Life is tossed salads and scrambled eggs.

Singles at the Singles House Coryell Court Apartments, 1820 E. Thomas St. Free. 9 p.m. Sun., July 5.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,487
    That's hilarious. The landlord could get the FBI involved because public showings of copyrighted works are prohibited. Because I'm sure the FBI doesn't have anything better to do...
  • Options
    cropdustdaircropdustdair Lakewood, CO / Earth Posts: 2,006
    LOL... this sounds great! Not just to be there to watch Singles for nostalgia purposes, but to see the crazy chaos that could ensue. I can't wait to read the posts from July 6th. :)
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2015
    I would like to start a crowdfunding site to stop this idea. :smile:

edit - all proceeds distributed to the tenants that have had to so far endure the ramifications of this idea.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

Tonight's Singles screening at the Singles apartments was canceled after tenants voiced their opposition.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    That sucks. That would have been cool to watch it where the movie was filmed.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471
    That dude's answers were awesome. Love the part where he was lobbying for people to bail him out or pay his fines.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    I wondered about that. One neighbor said it was a cool idea, so he decides to invite 1000's to descent on the building which (if Singles shows it right) is made up a of a number of apartments with a number of tenants. I was actually surprised that they'd all be cool with it. This guy was just going to do it and ask for forgiveness later. lol!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    However...this Saturday, they will be showing 'Singles' in West Seattle...

http://westseattlemovies.blogspot.com/

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    I would complain too. Some people are nutty.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MdeanseattleMdeanseattle West Seattle Posts: 63
    Singles in West Seattle is going to be huge . I'm volunteering so I get in .