Options

Understanding the lyric, "I'll ride the wave where it takes me" 25 years later...

JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
I'll be the first one to admit it, I don't really listen to the lyrics. Maybe it's because I'm a bass player and I can sing the bass line or the guitar parts more than the actual lyrics. In fact, many of my friends make fun of me because I often get the lyrics wrong (I refuse to read the lyric sheets).

Anyway, I know the song Release was always about Ed losing his dad. That part I got. But I always interpreted the line, "I'll ride the wave where it takes me" as being a free spirit and go with the flow. In fact, I used to post it on my FB when I would go to another city to see a show. I always thought that line (with my interpretation) was kind of odd in that song.

Well, I recently lost my dad. And I found myself on a rollercoaster of emotions from being happy, to sad, to numb, to happy again. Then it hit me, "I'll ride the wave where it takes me." Now I think Ed is talking about the ride of emotions you go through when you lose someone close to you. At least that's how I'm going to hear it for now on.

To make things more interesting, the first line of the poem my parents selected for my dad's funeral says, "When I'm gone, release me."

Anyway, I'm now with many others and every time I hear that song I will think of my dad and shed a tear. I don't think this ride will ever stop.

Thanks for reading this and enjoy every day of your life and see the world.
92 - Orlando
03 - Tampa
08 - Tampa
12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    Well said.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    TribeintoBreathTribeintoBreath Posts: 882
    edited May 2015
    Interesting that you should post this. Today marks the five year anniversary of my dad's passing. What is also interesting, is that Pearl Jam also played Boston exactly five years ago tonight. Dad took his last breath at 8:20 pm, right around the start of the show. They opened the show with "Release." I've never actually checked to find out what time the show actually started that night, but I have always wondered if "Release" was being played up in Boston at the moment when dad was taking his last breath in DC. That would have been something else.
    Anyhow, I can definitely relate to what those words mean to you now. "Release" totally got me at PJ20 when they opened with it, because it was the first time I had heard it live since he had died.
    I'm sorry for your loss and I hope that you are doing okay. It's definitely a game changer.
    Life is a wave. Enjoy the ride. ✌
    Post edited by TribeintoBreath on
    Run for it, Marty.