Options

A double album - just a fantasy?

Wouldnt it be great if the band recorded and released a double album? These guys are so prolific. Knowing that so much music they write ends up in their drawers is kinda sad..:) Im sure they could pull off a great double album, especially now when the wait between records seems to be getting longer and longer..

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited April 2015
    That really would be great! I love double albums... I find regular albums way too short (when they're really good). I guess some people think of double albums as just throwing everything in there - a lack of editing. But there are a lot of good examples that show a double album can be an absolute masterpiece. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. The Wall. Physical Graffiti. The White Album. Electric Ladyland. London Calling. The Ballad of Boogie Christ Acts 1 and 2. Isn't Bitches Brew a double too? The list goes on ..... I would love to add a PJ double album to that list!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    So instead of 3 years between albums, it'll be 6.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    one acoustic and one electric
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Way past their time to be able to pull it off. They struggle to come up with a single albums worth of material. Really haven't been prolific for over a decade. Maybe during the No Code-Binaural era when they were doing more experimenting.

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    It would be great if they felt they had a story to tell in a double album. They could even feel free to put some instrumental tracks in between the main tracks.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    DewieCox said:

Way past their time to be able to pull it off. They struggle to come up with a single albums worth of material. Really haven't been prolific for over a decade. Maybe during the No Code-Binaural era when they were doing more experimenting.

Are you suggesting you wouldn't be interested in a 26 song Backspacer?
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924
    DewieCox said:

I definitely agree. I wish they would get of this punk/rock sound they got goin on...
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    smarchee said:

Well done.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    JimmyV said:

smarchee said:

Well done.

thank you lol
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,957
    I love the beginning of Lightning Bolt but the album tails off badly towards the end IMO. I would much rather they concentrate on putting out a really solid regular length album.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    tino_11 said:

I love the beginning of Lightning Bolt but the album tails off badly towards the end IMO

By chance, did you miss Yellow Moon?
  • Options
    CD1083CD1083 Albany, NY Posts: 58
    The last 2 albums do come across as a little lazy. The quality is there, but the desire to get everybody equally involved has resulted in disjointed releases. Backspacer never gets a chance to get going before it ends, and Lightning Bolt feels more of an odds and ends release than Lost Dogs did.

There is plenty of great music left in these guys, but it definitely feels like they're coasting along right now.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    How about a double fantasy album?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Staney12Staney12 Posts: 42
    Actuallly, they are still very creative. Stone said 2 years ago that he wrote like 200 songs a year, during the same mini press tour Jeff said he wrote all the time. Mike jumps from one side project to another..I believe they could pull of what Kiss did in 1978!!!!!

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    just listen to LB right after BS. there's your double album.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,165

Actuallly, they are still very creative. Stone said 2 years ago that he wrote like 200 songs a year, during the same mini press tour Jeff said he wrote all the time. Mike jumps from one side project to another..I believe they could pull of what Kiss did in 1978!!!!!

On the other hand they struggled making lightning bolt. Recorded about half the songs, sat on it for a while, then they did the other half.

I'm not sure PJ has enough output for a double album. Then again we have no idea how many bsides are in the vault from the past few albums. Even in the hey dey we've only seen a handful of songs left over from every album. It doesn't seem to be like Billy Corgan where the guy can't turn off. Releases a double album, then there's enough left over for a boxset, and then decades letter there's still enough leftover material to make an even larger edition... lol.

More Pearl Jam would be awesome, but the band has been outputting less (not more) so I'm not sure we'll get one.