Options

Left Handed guitar selection

One of the guys I work with (and longtime high school friend) recently mentioned wanting to learn guitar. He's left-handed and I have all right-handed guitars. We went to guitar center and didn't see ONE left-handed guitar on display! He like the sound of mine (basic Fender starter acoustic) but wants to try other ones. The second closest guitar center is about 45 minutes away (not that far of a drive) but a little out of our way. Any ideas on when/if GC will get lefties in or do they typically not have lefties out on diplay
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    It seems like every GC I've ever been in had a couple lefty instruments in-store. It's usually two electrics, one or two acoustics, and a bass or two. I generally find them near the used guitars or the basses. I pay attention to these things, because I have two kids and they're both lefties.

The models they tend to have on display are generally pretty basic models, so if he's looking for a beginner set, that's probably a good bet. The harder ones to find are the nicer, $1,000+ range.

I can tell you that Martin recently started to produce left-handed Little Martin guitars, which are a pretty good buy. They may be more expensive than your friend is looking for, but I bought one for my kids and I've been pretty pleased. Probably won't find one on the floor at GC, but you could order one through their website (presuming they don't go bankrupt first).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    If he's starting from scratch, have him learn righty.
  • Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    DewieCox said:

Thing is, he's ambidextrous but left feels more comfortable for him.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710

DewieCox said:

Thing is, he's ambidextrous but left feels more comfortable for him.
    Same was for me. I play left too.