Options

Backspacer rocks

KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,486
edited March 2015 in The Porch
Period Exclamation Point
I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.

Comments

• Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,072
    +1
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Question mark.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    Every few months....hahaha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    so does kindergarten.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    Yep. "Gonna See My Friend" into "Got Some" is one of their best 1-2 punches. Love "The Fixer" as part of their catalog. LP has some of their strongest, leanest moments post-Yield and sounds very sharp and punchy five years after release. It's also one of their most unique records.

I love Self-Titled, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt. Maybe lame fans still longing for 1993 (which is also one of my favorite eras) will catch up a decade from now. :)
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I have the white vinyl.. Just sayin
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    I like it... there's a few songs I'm not the biggest fan of (amongst the waves, force of nature, speed of sound) but I really like the rest. My only complaint is that album is too short.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I really don't know why so many fans talk shit on Backspacer. Yes, I know, different opinions, music tastes, and all that cliche crap... but seriously, this is a very strong album.
    It comes out straight up rocking for four songs. Johnny Guitar is a pretty awesome story. Just Breathe is amazing. Amongst the Waves is in my top 10 PJ songs all time. Unthought Known has become a live staple and is a very uplifting track. Supersonic is just fun, unapologetic rock. Speed of Sound and Force of Nature have some of the best lyrics Ed has written in the post-Binaural era. Not really a fan of The End, but the other 10 songs make a pretty strong case for a great album.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870

I really don't know why so many fans talk shit on Backspacer. Yes, I know, different opinions, music tastes, and all that cliche crap... but seriously, this is a very strong album.
    It comes out straight up rocking for four songs. Johnny Guitar is a pretty awesome story. Just Breathe is amazing. Amongst the Waves is in my top 10 PJ songs all time. Unthought Known has become a live staple and is a very uplifting track. Supersonic is just fun, unapologetic rock. Speed of Sound and Force of Nature have some of the best lyrics Ed has written in the post-Binaural era. Not really a fan of The End, but the other 10 songs make a pretty strong case for a great album.

because it's the band having fun. and all the curmudgeons don't like happy ed. they want angry ed.

I do like the album, but i can't list it as a great album, as I have to be in a specific (good) mood to listen to it. most of their albums I have no mood for, just anytime.

except Lightning Bolt, which I play when I want to just want to Getwaway.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654

because it's the band having fun. and all the curmudgeons don't like happy ed. they want angry ed.

I do like the album, but i can't list it as a great album, as I have to be in a specific (good) mood to listen to it. most of their albums I have no mood for, just anytime.

except Lightning Bolt, which I play when I want to just want to Getwaway.

I don't need angry Ed at all and love when the band has fun and I still don't like the album in the least. I just think the music sounds bad. Simple as that.
    But Got Some is really good live.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102

Meh...
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

Meh...
    +1
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    courtmcccourtmcc South Jersey Posts: 1,143
    I love Backspacer a lot!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,526
    it sucks.

if PJ's last two albums were their first two.....they'd be done.

actually, if BS was their first they'd probably have been one and done.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    The CD makes a great beer coaster.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636
    Rocks, huh?

I haven't thrown those at it yet

Good idea
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Good album- too short.
  • Options
    I absolutely love the album!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,552
    edited March 2015
    Zod said:

I like it... there's a few songs I'm not the biggest fan of (amongst the waves, force of nature, speed of sound) but I really like the rest. My only complaint is that album is too short.

The only songs I like on that album are 'force of nature' and 'amongst the waves.'
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    It rocked better in 2009.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I absolutely love the album!

Never would have guessed. Haha!
  • Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365

Good album- too short.

being short is the only positive.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    I played it yesterday for the first time in a while and I really enjoyed it. Sure it's not their strongest album but it's still got some really good songs on it. It's also a whole lot better than some of the other shit that's out there at the moment
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    ed243421 said:

Rocks, huh?

Good idea

^I laughed so hard at this!

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

ed243421 said:

Rocks, huh?

Good idea

^I laughed so hard at this!

So did I! =)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    imalive said:

it sucks.

even though Just Breathe was the first platinum single of their career and had more airplay than anything since Yield?
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    It's an OK album. I absolutely love Unthought Known....it's prob in my top 10 PJ songs. A few other decent songs in Amongst the Waves, Got Some, and Force of Nature. The rest is just OK or not good.
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    It has some great songs. The end, Force of nature and Unthought known. It´s not their best but it has some fine moments

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    my2hands said:

imalive said:

it sucks.

even though Just Breathe was the first platinum single of their career and had more airplay than anything since Yield?
    I liked it alot, way better than Sirens :) I like the quiet acoustic songs... no complains from me.
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    there's like 1 song that i'm not big on(johnny guitar)
    otherwise LOVE IT ALL