Options

Kim the Interpreter has died...

Comments

• Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    From Kim's sister on donations for her son 10 yr old Connor:

My family and I have been overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support during this tragic time...especially for Connor. We haven't been able to respond to every message or post, but please know we are reading them and you've touched our hearts in a way we won't ever forget. Many of you have asked what you can do for Connor, and as a family we have decided, for now, to focus on his immediate needs with school and the activities and sports that bring him so much happiness. It's what Kim would have wanted. An account has been established in his name for just those things and the money will only be used for Connor. For those who would like to contribute please send a check to Connor Johnson, mailed to 2525 Valley Brook Drive, Florissant, MO 63031 or via PayPal to crjkrs13@gmail.com.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    I didn't know Kim, and I wasn't at that St Louis show, but I am stunned nonetheless. Based on what I saw, and what I read, she seemed like a really vibrant person. Seems like a shame to lose her.
  • Options
    So sad to hear this news. GTF has always been one of my wife and I's favorites. This video helped draw her to the band and PJ live. It is impossible for me not to remember Kim whenever I hear GTF....Its amazing how one small moment can influence so many peoples lives.
  • Options
    Really sadened to hear R.I.P. Kim.
    29/10/1996-Wembley Arena, London 04/07/2000-MEN Arena, Manchester 17/09/2009-MEN Arena, Manchester 21st,22nd/07/2012-MEN Arena, Manchester 11/07/2014-Leeds UK
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Sad to hear the news; such a young age. I will be sure to send a donation for Connor!
  • Options
    Kim is mentioned on Pearl Jam activism page! Thanks so much from the bottom of my heart, Pearl Jam and Kevin Shuss! http://pearljam.com/activism/news

And I also appreciated all the comments in this thread, thank you! ❤️
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    http://pearljam.com/activism/news/1/22606/a_letter_from_kevin_shuss_pearl_jam_videographer_&_archivist_about_kimberly_rae_schaefer

A Letter from Kevin Shuss, Pearl Jam Videographer & Archivist about Kimberly Rae Schaefer
    March 24 2015

I Didn’t Know Kimberly Rae Schaefer

I’m the videographer for Pearl Jam. I’ve been fortunate to work with them for many years. During those years, I’ve worked & filmed during some pretty amazing moment. Moments when the band and crowd connect – and in that instant, it’s more than just another concert. It becomes an event. A special memory.

After the 2000 tour, when we decided to try to make a concert DVD, we sat around and tried to figure out how to do that. Would it be one show from one city? Would it be a best-of?

The one constant in all those discussions was the song “Given to Fly” from the October 11, 2000 show in St. Louis, Missouri. Something special happened during that song that night. Something that stuck in all our minds after filming all those different shows.

“We have to use the footage of the woman doing the sign language interpretations!!”

When Eddie noticed her and mentioned it from stage, and then went over and helped her up onto the side of the stage, it started this moment that has become transcendent in Pearl Jam history.

It’s my favorite part of touring band. It’s the song I get more comments on than anything else about that DVD, when I meet fans or talk to people about that.

Pretty powerful stuff to be able to do your job with such love & passion that you inspire a bunch of people that are able to hear just fine. I can only imagine the joy Kim must have given the people with hearing loss, as she did her job.

I never knew Kimberly Rae Schaefer but she touched my life in a way I will never forget. 15 years on, and it’s as clear as yesterday….

Thank you Kim!
    Job well done!

-Kevin Shuss, Pearl Jam Videographer and Archivist
  • Options
    Thanks for copying/pasting the news from that page and a direct link, Demetrios. :)

FYI, this thread is being shared a lot by those who knew Kim and it made them smile. :)

Kim's mom said Connor is being kept busy with basketball and baseball. That's what Kim would've wanted for her son. Thanks for the donations to help Connor stay busy in school and activities. I know Kim would have greatly appreciated that and with a sigh of relief that Connor is being taken care of. :)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Despite the sad reason for it, what a beautiful thread - and testament to her spirit.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    demetrios said:

http://pearljam.com/activism/news/1/22606/a_letter_from_kevin_shuss_pearl_jam_videographer_&_archivist_about_kimberly_rae_schaefer

A Letter from Kevin Shuss, Pearl Jam Videographer & Archivist about Kimberly Rae Schaefer
    March 24 2015

I’m the videographer for Pearl Jam. I’ve been fortunate to work with them for many years. During those years, I’ve worked & filmed during some pretty amazing moment. Moments when the band and crowd connect – and in that instant, it’s more than just another concert. It becomes an event. A special memory.

After the 2000 tour, when we decided to try to make a concert DVD, we sat around and tried to figure out how to do that. Would it be one show from one city? Would it be a best-of?

The one constant in all those discussions was the song “Given to Fly” from the October 11, 2000 show in St. Louis, Missouri. Something special happened during that song that night. Something that stuck in all our minds after filming all those different shows.

“We have to use the footage of the woman doing the sign language interpretations!!”

When Eddie noticed her and mentioned it from stage, and then went over and helped her up onto the side of the stage, it started this moment that has become transcendent in Pearl Jam history.

It’s my favorite part of touring band. It’s the song I get more comments on than anything else about that DVD, when I meet fans or talk to people about that.

Pretty powerful stuff to be able to do your job with such love & passion that you inspire a bunch of people that are able to hear just fine. I can only imagine the joy Kim must have given the people with hearing loss, as she did her job.

I never knew Kimberly Rae Schaefer but she touched my life in a way I will never forget. 15 years on, and it’s as clear as yesterday….

Thank you Kim!
    Job well done!

:clap:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Remember that day, was a special moment
    Bless her for all the help she did for others
  • Options
    jonposeyjonposey Posts: 139
    So sad. She created a very special memory for a lot of people that night and through the video. Thoughts and prayers...
    \m/ \m/
    www.jonposey.us
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited March 2015
    Just saw this pop up on Facebook:

Pearl Jam Activism
    Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of sign language interpreter, Kimberly Rae Schaefer. Read a letter written by our own Pearl Jam Videographer & Archivist, Kevin Shuss reflecting on Kim’s impact in the PJ community.

http://bit.ly/pj_kim
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Hunger StrikeHunger Strike Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 229
    I too must say how sad I am to hear this. I always loved that version with Kim on stage, to see the interpretation of the song that way, it was truly amazing, and how awesome to get the dance in the end! RIP!! :(
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    demetrios said:

March 24 2015

Thank you Kim!
    Job well done!

So beautiful. Sharing memories of someone in any way helps keep their spirit alive, so this is really wonderful.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    Is he the same Kevin Shuss that designed the Wrigley Crackerjack poster?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    on2legs said:

Yep
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433

on2legs said:

Yep
    Cool. Had no idea he worked for the band. Thanks.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited March 2015
    hedonist said:

Despite the sad reason for it, what a beautiful thread - and testament to her spirit.

This times a billion Google!! I was very saddened to read this this morning, and it has made me smile again to see the outpouring live if the PJ community.. THIS is the human affect at work, and it gives me faith.. Cause how awesome that everyone here has welcomed her family as one of our own.. All thanks to one video, where she showed us her spirit, her true self, as one with all of you they were there.. That moment that we all live for from tour to tour.. That moment of Synergy that buzzes through you for HOURS, sometime DAYS afterwards.. And that moment lives on in infamy. In a really special and unique way.. Kim can NEVER be forgotten. I hope Connor can watch it whenever he misses his mom, and feel close to her; she whom has been Given To Fly.
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Yep
    Cool. Had no idea he worked for the band. Thanks.

He had a mention in the PJ20 movie. At an early show, they ran out of merch early, so he grabbed a camera and filmed.

The world needs more people like he and Kim.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Anthony80Anthony80 Manchester, England Posts: 3
    For what it's worth, at age 40, I don't think I've been saddened more by a loss of someone I knew nothing about, other than the beauty Kimberly conveys in Touring Band 2000.
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806

All thanks to one video, where she showed us her spirit, her true self,
    And that moment lives on in infamy. In a really special and unique way.. Kim can NEVER be forgotten.
    I hope Connor can watch it whenever he misses his mom, and feel close to her; she whom has been Given To Fly.

Nicely put.

What sad news to read this.
    The fact that she leaves a son behind is devastating.

As bittersweet as it must be to watch his mom in that video.
    It shows a woman that in fact has been Given to fly.
    You can see it in her energy. She choose her profession and
    she made it one where she could be of service to others.

I've always felt touched by this clip and thought it to be cool how she who helped others experience a show, got the spotlight at that time.

My heart goes out to you Conner and family.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    Such sad news...my heart goes out to Kim's family especially Conner. Easily the best clip from the Touring Band dvd. Rest in Peace Kim... you will be remembered fondly by many.
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • Options
    mrluthor9 said:

Such sad news...my heart goes out to Kim's family especially Conner. Easily the best clip from the Touring Band dvd. Rest in Peace Kim... you will be remembered fondly by many.

Watching / absorbing it right now, yet again.

Fondness indeed - like a gentle fist to the jaw :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    http://youtu.be/SOWCXzpy-HI

Wow, Pearl Jam made a donation to Gateway Pet Guardians in memory of Kimberly Schaefer, according to their comment on PJ's YT, under this link. How sweet! ❤️
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    Thank you, Pearl Jam, and the community too! ❤️❤️❤️

http://www.gatewaypets.com/given-fly/
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    IamMine said:

Wow, Pearl Jam made a donation to Gateway Pet Guardians in memory of Kimberly Schaefer, according to their comment on PJ's YT, under this link. How sweet! ❤️

Amazing.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    Beauty!
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    IamMine said:

They are an amazing band... That produces amazing fans!
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    This is fooking heartwarming!!!