Options

Kim the Interpreter has died...

Comments

• Options
    and the love i have for Ed in this video could explode my heart. to showcase this beautiful woman's talent. i am sure that she treasured that moment.
    LBDeb

Mind your manners!!!!!
    San Diego and LA 2
  • Options
    locked?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    Wow. Out of the blue I pulled up that clip on youtube last night…to find this post today.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    I felt so sad when I read this yesterday on FB. Even though I never met her I felt like I knew her well from watching TBY2K so many times. I love GTF and this version was so special always made me smile. Havent been able to get this news out of my mind.. :(
    Love and Thoughts to Kim's son Connor and her Family and Friends. :( xx
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773

hedonist said:

Not that it really matters at this point, but copy & paste?

If not, maybe the Mods could supplement this if/when able.

So strange, how strangers can have such an impact.

I guess when they do, they're no longer strangers.

...they're family. :)

Kim will be missed.
    OP- This is a wide sweeping Facebook Statement posted by you that many members on this forum can't open.

Is there any other source that you have that states what you say is true?

On the same token could you provide us with an update of the missing 10c member please.

The original Facebook post was started by one of Kim's friends...they met on FB and the friend tried to get Kim to translate at PJ20.

Something else from that concert...the premier of U.
    http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/cc/t2000p3.shtml

Here's a recent article I found that mentioned Kim and the show she was at.
    http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/01/the-interpreter/

Obituary should be appearing soon at St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852

:(

I love this version and think of it whenever I hear GTF.

Yeah, so do I, especially the joy that Ed got from seeing her sign "fuckers!". I always got a kick out that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    How did she die?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773

How did she die?

Following an illness. I just cross-posted from the facebook group, but someone closer to the situation should be by shortly...

Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for doing this, Lost In Ohio. I'm saddened at the passing of my friend Kim and was so looking forward to finally meeting her and having her interpret for me at a PJ show in the future. We became good friends over the years.

Got this from Kim's sister and they are still working on fund for Kim's son Connor and as soon as I know, I will share:

"This is Angie, Kim’s sister. My family and I are so appreciative of the love and support you have shown our family, and especially for Connor. On behalf of my Mom, Connor, Dan, and Tim, thank you for your comforting words and thoughts during this devastating time for our family.
    We are stunned by the sudden loss of Kim. And like us, we realize you are all trying to make sense of her passing….a strong, vibrant, incredible woman and amazing mom who was only 39 years old. Unfortunately, so far, the findings have been inconclusive and we will have to wait a few more weeks for more information. Instead of trying to understand “why” she’s gone, for now, we are focusing on celebrating a woman who impacted the lives of so many.
    Visitation for Kim will take place Thursday, March 19th from 5-9 p.m. at Hutchens Mortuary, 675 Graham Road, Florissant, MO 63031 (http://www.hutchensmortuary.com/contact-us/facilities-and-directions ). The funeral service, also at Hutchens, will be on Friday, March 20th at 1 p.m. Interment is private. In lieu of flowers donations can be made to Gateway Pet Guardians or the Lung Cancer Connection. The official obituary will run in Tuesday’s St. Louis Post Dispatch.
    As many of you know, Kim hated wearing black for anything other than work, so please feel free to be colorful. :)
    On behalf of our family, thank you again. Should you have additional questions or if you’d like to contact the family for other reasons, please email me at ADSchaefer19@gmail.com."
    Post edited by IamMine on
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My condolences to you and all who loved her.

39. Should've had more time.

I and mine will absolutely make a donation to the Gateway fund.

Thank you for sharing this, and know many here - though not as close with her as you and others - are grieving alongside you.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,791
    I'm truly saddened by this news. After watching that version of GTF I now can not only hear the song but I can see it every time. When Given to Fly comes on I can see her signing that song as clearly as I can hear the music, it was a beautiful gift that she gave to us all. My condolences to her family and loved ones.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    RIP. very sad. 39 horribly too young to pass. What a great moment captured by the band and put on the video.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    My heart goes out to Kim's family and friends.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PernillePernille Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 114
    edited March 2015
    Ever since I saw that video the first time, I've thought of her every time I hear GTF.

Such sad news :(
    2000: Roskilde
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Copenhagen
    2010: London
    2012: Copenhagen
    2014: Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Stockholm
    2016: MSG1, MSG2
  • Options
    LG2271LG2271 Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    So sad, too young. I love that video and the joy in it. I saw her interpret at Jones Beach with PJ.
    Post edited by LG2271 on
  • Options
    LG2271 said:

So sad, too young. I love that video and the joy in it. I saw her interpret at Jones Beach with PJ.

I don't believe that was Kim, but an interpreter that looked like her. That St. Louis show in 2000 was the first and last she had interpreted for PJ, to my knowledge. I'd like to think she would've mentioned to me if she did interpret other PJ shows. :)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    sad news...

RIP Kim

as others have said, when i hear GTF i think of that special moment...

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    edited March 2015

I didn't see a mention of Kim in that article, that terp was talking about her experience standing a few feet away from EV. Ironically, she was one of my interpreters assigned at that very show she mentioned. She royally screwed it up big time, her and her partner. She was not prepared well for it, refused to work with me ahead of the show (lied to me that she was preparing for it) and as a result, she couldn't even do one song right and was unprofessional at times during the show. It was very disappointing and upsetting. I personally thought she had the nerve to mention that part in her article. But everything else she said is pretty accurate what an average interpreter go through and it is not an easy job, and can be exhausting. I always thank my interpreters for the jobs they've been assigned to me, if they do well.

Kim didn't brag about the jobs she did, which is one of the things I really liked about her. She enjoyed her job, but it was about access first and not about herself.
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    Please accept my condolences. I feel so sad about Kim's passing. When I watched the video, I really felt her joy in what she was doing. May she rest in peace.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I've always thought that video was so hot..sorry to hear of her passing..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    My condolences. :( Very sad to hear this news. RIP...
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    Thanks to a fellow PJ fan who posted this on FB this morning.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/stltoday/obituary.aspx?n=kimberly-rae-schaefer&pid=174414202&

Schaefer, Kimberly Rae Friday, March 13, 2015. Cherished daughter of Thelma Jean Schaefer (nee Shaw) and the late Frank Schaefer. Loving sister of Angela Schaefer (Collin Cox ). Loving mother of Connor Johnson. Dearest best friend of Daniel Johnson. Loving partner of Tim Eveker. Our dear niece, cousin, and friend to many. Kimberly was a sign language interpreter, certified at the MICS Master level. She provided interpreting services throughout the state in a variety of situations including medical, legal, business and post secondary education and performance. She mentored newer interpreters and students and had a knack for being able to encourage and build skills like no other mentor. Her passion was performance interpreting. She was well known, and requested throughout the area for her skilled interpretations of plays, concerts, and festivals. She was an amazing interpreter, trusted colleague, and treasured friend. Services: Funeral Service Friday, March 20, 1:00 p.m. at the Hutchens Mortuary, 675 Graham Rd. Florissant. Interment Private. Visitation Thursday, March 19, 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, Memorial Contributions may be made to, Gateway Pet Guardians, or Lung Cancer Connection.
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    Oh man . . . I just saw this. Just heartbreaking. What a talented young woman. My heart goes out to her young son and the rest of her family and friends. RIP Kim.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    RIP Kim, such a beautiful soul!
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838
    IamMine said:

I didn't see a mention of Kim in that article, that terp was talking about her experience standing a few feet away from EV. Ironically, she was one of my interpreters assigned at that very show she mentioned. She royally screwed it up big time, her and her partner. She was not prepared well for it, refused to work with me ahead of the show (lied to me that she was preparing for it) and as a result, she couldn't even do one song right and was unprofessional at times during the show. It was very disappointing and upsetting. I personally thought she had the nerve to mention that part in her article. But everything else she said is pretty accurate what an average interpreter go through and it is not an easy job, and can be exhausting. I always thank my interpreters for the jobs they've been assigned to me, if they do well.

Kim didn't brag about the jobs she did, which is one of the things I really liked about her. She enjoyed her job, but it was about access first and not about herself.
    Thanks IamMine for the information you've provided in this thread. Maybe at some point (in a different thread if you think it would be more appropriate not to hijack this one) you would consider posting what it's like to experience a concert with an interpreter. Sorry to hear your PJ experience didn't go well, but perhaps you've had other good concert experiences?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Thanks IamMine for the information you've provided in this thread. Maybe at some point (in a different thread if you think it would be more appropriate not to hijack this one) you would consider posting what it's like to experience a concert with an interpreter. Sorry to hear your PJ experience didn't go well, but perhaps you've had other good concert experiences?

Thank you for asking, oftenreading. People often forget to ask us how our show went with the interpreters but it's easy to ignore us when they're in the spotlight. :)

It is kind of tied to Kim's thread because she knew the frustrations and problems I've had with interpreters and we were going to fix that, making it right and how I hoped to show others this is how it should be done, to educate other interpreters to follow suit - working together on translating songs and on the access issues. Too often interpreters resist the idea of working with deaf/hh patrons on how to translate the songs how they felt/saw the songs were about and the interpreters rather be in control of the "set list" (their own research and coming up with their own list to work on) and how to translate them (their own personal interpretations). And they also resist the idea of having to invest too much time in practicing songs they aren't going to get paid for...you know how PJ can be unpredictable with their set list. Terps can never get 100% of the songs in, often "on the fly" where they try to make the best out of it. Kim said she can understand that investment part, from an interpreter's point of view. But she was willing to work with me way ahead of the show on the songs list/translations so we would be in sync, and we would also try to figure out how to get her there, and get her assigned to my show. She knew she was going to lose a lot of money as far as investing that much time for a one time small pay from the venue, split with her team. She did it many times for other shows she interpreted. And also the fact that we became good friends...what a great way to finally meet in person at a PJ show and then hang out and laugh about it afterwards with organic and gluten free drinks in my hotel. :)

To answer your question...out of all PJ/EV shows (20 in total), only a few good experiences with interpreters. The worst was at lollapalooza '07 (terps denied me access just to be close to EV, and they were top and also PJ diehards, welp - couldn't even see them at all - their egos...pheeeewwew!) and the best one was Cleveland 2006 that was a huge disappointment for others because everyone had high expectations for an entire Yield album. ;) The terp was so awesome (she liked PJ and was familiar with their music - thanks to her diehard hubby), focused on me (I was the only one needing an interpreter there), not the band and we were so into it. I loved it! She killed "Lukin"! That had me cracking up every time I listen to that song, I think of her translation. And this was in the "worst" seats - waaaay back up in the balcony but I had so much fun that night with her and my hubby. Since then, I've been careful and picky about who gets to interpret my PJ/EV shows (festivals are out of my control, though) and don't want to be so close to the stage with the terps. Clearly, I have trust issues with interpreters. I grew up with them. Ah, there are excellent interpreters out there! Just a very few good ones can really pull it off in performance interpreting...and remain humble, focused on us.

So there you go. :) Thanks for asking. I can see Kim rolling her eyes, "Oh, you're bitching about it again? Jeez." Hahahahaha....I miss her already.
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838
    IamMine said:

Thank you for asking, oftenreading. People often forget to ask us how our show went with the interpreters but it's easy to ignore us when they're in the spotlight. :)

It is kind of tied to Kim's thread because she knew the frustrations and problems I've had with interpreters and we were going to fix that, making it right and how I hoped to show others this is how it should be done, to educate other interpreters to follow suit - working together on translating songs and on the access issues. Too often interpreters resist the idea of working with deaf/hh patrons on how to translate the songs how they felt/saw the songs were about and the interpreters rather be in control of the "set list" (their own research and coming up with their own list to work on) and how to translate them (their own personal interpretations). And they also resist the idea of having to invest too much time in practicing songs they aren't going to get paid for...you know how PJ can be unpredictable with their set list. Terps can never get 100% of the songs in, often "on the fly" where they try to make the best out of it. Kim said she can understand that investment part, from an interpreter's point of view. But she was willing to work with me way ahead of the show on the songs list/translations so we would be in sync, and we would also try to figure out how to get her there, and get her assigned to my show. She knew she was going to lose a lot of money as far as investing that much time for a one time small pay from the venue, split with her team. She did it many times for other shows she interpreted. And also the fact that we became good friends...what a great way to finally meet in person at a PJ show and then hang out and laugh about it afterwards with organic and gluten free drinks in my hotel. :)

To answer your question...out of all PJ/EV shows (20 in total), only a few good experiences with interpreters. The worst was at lollapalooza '07 (terps denied me access just to be close to EV, and they were top and also PJ diehards, welp - couldn't even see them at all - their egos...pheeeewwew!) and the best one was Cleveland 2006 that was a huge disappointment for others because everyone had high expectations for an entire Yield album. ;) The terp was so awesome (she liked PJ and was familiar with their music - thanks to her diehard hubby), focused on me (I was the only one needing an interpreter there), not the band and we were so into it. I loved it! She killed "Lukin"! That had me cracking up every time I listen to that song, I think of her translation. And this was in the "worst" seats - waaaay back up in the balcony but I had so much fun that night with her and my hubby. Since then, I've been careful and picky about who gets to interpret my PJ/EV shows (festivals are out of my control, though) and don't want to be so close to the stage with the terps. Clearly, I have trust issues with interpreters. I grew up with them. Ah, there are excellent interpreters out there! Just a very few good ones can really pull it off in performance interpreting...and remain humble, focused on us.

So there you go. :) Thanks for asking. I can see Kim rolling her eyes, "Oh, you're bitching about it again? Jeez." Hahahahaha....I miss her already.
    Thanks IamMine - fascinating to read about your experiences. I am also laughing imagining Lukin being interpreted - that must really be something to see! I guess like in every profession there are people who are good, people who are not-so-good, and people like Kim who excel.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Thanks IamMine - fascinating to read about your experiences. I am also laughing imagining Lukin being interpreted - that must really be something to see! I guess like in every profession there are people who are good, people who are not-so-good, and people like Kim who excel.

It's hilarious, forever recorded in my mind.

And amen-t to the last statement.
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    Very sad to hear about Kim's passing...sounds as if she was a truly giving and a genuine nice soul..My condolences go out to her and all her loved ones. Hearts and thoughts ~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    How sad, so young :( I loved that video too. I am fascinated with the interpretaors at shows like that, I wish I could understand what they really convey.