Options

Only 8 years for murder??

Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
Guy punches a soccer referee in the face and kills him. He will be eligible for parole in 8 years and a max sentence of 15 years. That seems so fucked up to me. I really don't understand our justice system sometimes.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/2345590/amateur-soccer-player-is-sentenced-to-8-15-years-in-death-of-referee

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Involuntary Manslaughter is a lesser penalty than the other forms of murder. He didn't mean to kill the ref, doesn't make him any less dead but it does count for something. I think he should be eligible for parole in 15, not 8, but I can see the reason for the lesser sentence.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Involuntary Manslaughter is a lesser penalty than the other forms of murder. He didn't mean to kill the ref, doesn't make him any less dead but it does count for something. I think he should be eligible for parole in 15, not 8, but I can see the reason for the lesser sentence.

Well yeah, obviously he didn't mean to kill him. Just the fact that he could possibly spend less than 10 years in jail for killing someone (intentional or not) seems wrong. He obviously intended to injure the guy by punching him in the face and should be held more responsible for his actions. I understand harsher penalties for people who intend to kill someone, but just because this guy didn't intend to kill him, it doesn't make it any more right than someone with intent.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Well yeah, obviously he didn't mean to kill him. Just the fact that he could possibly spend less than 10 years in jail for killing someone (intentional or not) seems wrong. He obviously intended to injure the guy by punching him in the face and should be held more responsible for his actions. I understand harsher penalties for people who intend to kill someone, but just because this guy didn't intend to kill him, it doesn't make it any more right than someone with intent.
    Have you never punched anyone in the face? I have. It wasn't a big deal. Then again, dude didn't die.
    I think it does make it "more right" a little bit. Intending for someone to die and making it happen is not equal to intending to bust somebody's nose and accidentally killing them. Of course, he must pay for his crime.
    The question I have is this: What good does locking him up for longer accomplish? Lives have been ruined by a mistake and that can't be undone, but what about keeping him in prison makes the world a better place?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Have you never punched anyone in the face? I have. It wasn't a big deal. Then again, dude didn't die.
    I think it does make it "more right" a little bit. Intending for someone to die and making it happen is not equal to intending to bust somebody's nose and accidentally killing them. Of course, he must pay for his crime.
    The question I have is this: What good does locking him up for longer accomplish? Lives have been ruined by a mistake and that can't be undone, but what about keeping him in prison makes the world a better place?
    Locking him up longer doesn't allow him to live a free and happy life. Like you said, lives are ruined. The ref was married and had children....their lives are forever changed because of the reckless action of this guy. Allowing this guy to possibly walk free after 8 years doesn't seem like a harsh enough of a punishment to me.
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Locking him up longer doesn't allow him to live a free and happy life. Like you said, lives are ruined. The ref was married and had children....their lives are forever changed because of the reckless action of this guy. Allowing this guy to possibly walk free after 8 years doesn't seem like a harsh enough of a punishment to me.
    Punching someone over something as lame and idiotic as a sports game is pretty sad. It happens all the time and I just shake my head at the idiocy of sportsgame fandom. Some folks lose their cool and punch sometimes, it isn't right, but it is common.

I guess I am just not big on "punishment". Consequences are certainly necessary in life, and I think 10 years in prison (my idea of a minimum for a crime like this) is a pretty sserious consequence. Think of all you have done since 2005 and how slowly that time would progress if you were stuck doing nothing the whole time.
    Lives are ruined, no changing that, does it improve those lives or any others by ruining more?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Cameron Poe was sentenced to 7–10 years in prison for manslaughter for using excessive force on a drunk man while trying to protect his pregnant wife Tricia.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Punching someone over something as lame and idiotic as a sports game is pretty sad. It happens all the time and I just shake my head at the idiocy of sportsgame fandom. Some folks lose their cool and punch sometimes, it isn't right, but it is common.

I guess I am just not big on "punishment". Consequences are certainly necessary in life, and I think 10 years in prison (my idea of a minimum for a crime like this) is a pretty sserious consequence. Think of all you have done since 2005 and how slowly that time would progress if you were stuck doing nothing the whole time.
    Lives are ruined, no changing that, does it improve those lives or any others by ruining more?
    If I were a family member of the guy who was killed, it sure as hell would make me feel a lot better knowing that the guy who killed him was suffering in prison instead of walking the streets a free man.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    A teen in the Seattle area recently killed another teen with a punch. It was an intentional punch, but certainly not an intentional murder, and the victim agreed to be punched as punishment for causing a fender bender. They talked about it, smoked cigarettes together, and then the punch was thrown. Unfortunately, the victim fell back and hit his head on concrete and died. Very tragic and unfortunate for everyone involved. But it highlights an extreme example of one person killing another without intent to do so. It was just announced yesterday that the DA will not be pursuing second-degree manslaughter charges.
    http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Teen-who-fatally-punched-another-won-t-be-charged-6132145.php
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

If I were a family member of the guy who was killed, it sure as hell would make me feel a lot better knowing that the guy who killed him was suffering in prison instead of walking the streets a free man.
    No offense, but that is kind of sickening to hear.
    I don't wish suffering on the people who have harmed my family, that is just unhealthy.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I don't wish suffering on the people who have harmed my family, that is just unhealthy.
    Thanks for telling me what is healthy and unhealthy. As usual, a civil conversation on here has to turn personal. Don't know why I even bother around here sometimes.
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Thanks for telling me what is healthy and unhealthy. As usual, a civil conversation on here has to turn personal. Don't know why I even bother around here sometimes.
    We all have our opinions, I'm sorry for offending you, but you took it to the personal level. Wishing suffering on a person isn't exactly civil, even if it is understandable.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

We all have our opinions, I'm sorry for offending you, but you took it to the personal level. Wishing suffering on a person isn't exactly civil, even if it is understandable.
    Like I said, I don't even know why I bother around here. I'll just be over here with my "unhealthy" thoughts.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hey, that producer of Survivor got only 12 years for killing his wife and dumping her body.

I just don't understand some sentences so light.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    a better attorney would have got him off with time served and a maybe 3 years tops.
    and an even better attorney would have him out onh parol....money does buy freedom hahhahhahha

Godfather.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Jason P said:

Cameron Poe was sentenced to 7–10 years in prison for manslaughter for using excessive force on a drunk man while trying to protect his pregnant wife Tricia.

AZZKIKR-I like where your heads at Jay
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Answer that question again after your kid is born Gambsy.Its all about perspective.You may find you will have a whole new Way of looking at things.
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Like I said, I don't even know why I bother around here. I'll just be over here with my "unhealthy" thoughts.
    I'm with you here Indiferrence.Fuck with a family member.I hope you suffer.Piece of shit would deserve it.Cant see it any other way
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    This thread- I dunno...
    A story about an accidental death that ruins the lives of all involved.
    Then someone expresses their opinion.
    Now some of you are pissed off at each other (at least no punches can be thrown here).
    What's the point?

Train wreck!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    This case is sad on so many levels.

Amateur sport is becoming a very temperamental place. And it's rarely the kids that are the problems: many parents in the stands have become outrageous; and many adults in recreational leagues are brutal.

The punch ended up killing the ref, but I'm pretty sure there was no intent to kill. As strongly opinionated as I am for punishment as it relates to crime, I have some difficulty condemning this guy for more than what he has received. The punishment seems reasonable given it was- roughly speaking- an accident. He never followed him home to get him just as he never ran to his car to get a tire iron. Unless you're Mike Tyson, one isn't thinking their punch is going to be fatal.

That being said, if I was a surviving family member, I would not be satisfied. I completely understand the sentiments supporting the survivors.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I just wish that grown-ups would act as such. Completely agree about lack of aim to kill, but man...how does an adult not keep such impulses in check (assuming they're sober)?

In LA traffic, I've fantasized many times of ramming my car into another whose driver is mis-focused. (and I've verbally let loose within the confines of mine) To actually act upon it?

You're right, Thirty. Really sad, and I'm not sure where or how comfort would be found for anyone close to either man.