Options

Global National Video "Neil Young could hold out his hand for Nirvana & Pearl Jam"

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,856
edited March 2015 in The Porch
Just saw this minutes ago on Global News.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1877553/blurred-lines-verdict-has-implications-for-music-industry

Global National - 'Blurred Lines' verdict has implications for music industry.

Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams have been ordered to pay the family of Marvin Gay $7.4 million, after a jury found their song stole a vibe from one of the late singer’s hits. Mike Drolet explains why the ruling sent a chill through the music business.

"Everybody is inspired by somebody. Neil Young could hold out his hand for Nirvana & Pearl Jam."
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited March 2015
    Jimmy Page might be filling out the paperwork already

Let's hope the Hendrix family never hears Yellow Ledbetter :D
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    What happened to letting it go? There's so much music out there that sounds like other music, especially in Rock as Rock has been around since the late 50s. I remember people were saying given to fly sounded like going to california. I can see the similarities but they sound like different songs. You didn't see Jimmy Page or Robert Plant going after PJ.... they let it go. I believe Robert Plant eventually played the song live on the stage with them at the HoB show?

The song that sounded like I won't back down (tom petty) sounded too simillar to me. There were glaring notes and parts that sounded very very similar.

At what point is a song too similar and infringes on intellectual property and at what point is it simply influenced by bands (music) the artist grew up listening too.

Copyright does seem to be one of the worst things to have sprouted in the modern recording age.

In this case Marvin Gaye he passed away 30 years ago. He doesn't even get the chance to let it slide. I wonder if these family members are related to his dad? That's not cool either.
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    I think a few things were different with this case than other cases:

1.) Blurred Lines was a controversial song that the Gaye family didn't want to be associated with.

2.) I would think Neil Young and others would be honored to have their music inspire PJ, Nirvana etc... But if Arriana Grande took a Neil Young riff, he might not feel so honored by it, and object. So maybe if an artist that was respected by the Gaye family took the riff they wouldn't have cared as much.

3.) Pharrell and Thicke argued and argued with the family long before it got to court, most cases like these there would be some quiet settlement. But P and T were adamant that they didn't copy but were inspired by Gaye's song - essentially forcing the family's hand to go to court.

Lots of examples of this sort of stuff, I don't think it will change the industry at all, it just might force some to settle earlier than they would have normally.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    If Jimmy Page wants to talk royalties I suggest he take his checkbook down through the poorest region of our country... The Mississippi Delta and start paying for damn near all of the Zeppelin catalog.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

If Jimmy Page wants to talk royalties I suggest he take his checkbook down through the poorest region of our country... The Mississippi Delta and start paying for damn near all of the Zeppelin catalog.

:clap:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

Definitely the first couple records at least.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    scurtis said:

I think a few things were different with this case than other cases:

1.) Blurred Lines was a controversial song that the Gaye family didn't want to be associated with.

This from a man who was shot by his father? I'm sure this was wayyyyy less controversial...
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    my2hands said:

oh man. that was harsh but very true.
    But they're all millionaires already. why not let bygones be bygones and follow what Tom Petty did in '06 w/ RHCP's Dani California sounding like Mary Jane's Last Dance and let it go...
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532

Definitely the first couple records at least.
    agreed!
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    I was shooting pool with an older friend of mine (more into REM and 80's alternative) and GTF came on, and he said "hey, sounds like Going to California". I guess that's true, there's definitely some similarities between the two.
  • Options
    kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    Nobody tell Noel Gallagher about this.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • Options

Nobody tell Noel Gallagher about this.

Why would they copy the Beatles, they are bigger than the Beatles, remember??? They told us so.
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    I bet the Gallagher would try to sue the Beatles for stealing his sound.
  • Options

I bet the Gallagher would try to sue the Beatles for stealing his sound.

I know some people like them, I'm sure many on this board, but I could never stand them. And I think a lot of it had to do with what a bunch of a-holes they are. I have a similar, although not as strong, feeling about Kings of Leon.
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    The Robin Thicke and Marvin Gaye songs are virtually identical. I don't know how anyone with functioning ears would not side with the Gaye family on this one.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 499
    As a musician and songwriter, I think I have pretty high functioning ears and actually feel the exact opposite. I'm not a fan of Blurred Lines or Robin Thicke, but I have a lot of respect for Pharell and don't believe they copied Got to Give it Up. I think it's a terrible precedent set by a jury that doesn't understand music or songwriting. I would compare it to all the people who say things like "I liked Pearl Jam's first album but after that all their songs sound the same."

Blurred lines and GTGIU have a similar tempo around 120 BPM, and both feture a rythmic cowbell over a synth bass line yes, but that is where the similarities end. The songs are in different keys, the notes in the bass lines are completely different, the cowbell patterns are different and the melodies and arrangements are nowhere near the same. In no way does that justify copyright infringement. If it does then all songs with distorted guitars, drums and a bass are all the same. Good luck future songwriters.
    Yefa said:

The Robin Thicke and Marvin Gaye songs are virtually identical. I don't know how anyone with functioning ears would not side with the Gaye family on this one.

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,410
    bootleg said:

As a musician and songwriter, I think I have pretty high functioning ears and actually feel the exact opposite. I'm not a fan of Blurred Lines or Robin Thicke, but I have a lot of respect for Pharell and don't believe they copied Got to Give it Up. I think it's a terrible precedent set by a jury that doesn't understand music or songwriting. I would compare it to all the people who say things like "I liked Pearl Jam's first album but after that all their songs sound the same."

Blurred lines and GTGIU have a similar tempo around 120 BPM, and both feture a rythmic cowbell over a synth bass line yes, but that is where the similarities end. The songs are in different keys, the notes in the bass lines are completely different, the cowbell patterns are different and the melodies and arrangements are nowhere near the same. In no way does that justify copyright infringement. If it does then all songs with distorted guitars, drums and a bass are all the same. Good luck future songwriters.

Yefa said:

I don't think people say all Pearl Jam albums after Ten sound the same. Some people here say the last 2 or 3 do. Although I don't think they do.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,410
    In the 70s there are a lot of rock songs that have similar riffs.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760

my2hands said:

oh man. that was harsh but very true.
    But they're all millionaires already. why not let bygones be bygones and follow what Tom Petty did in '06 w/ RHCP's Dani California sounding like Mary Jane's Last Dance and let it go...
    Tom petty had no choice on that one. The reason nothing ever came of that is because both artists had the same producer.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited March 2015
    The reason nothing came of the RHCP/Petty thing is because you can't copyright a chord progression, only melodies. That's what past landmark decisions have bore out.

The reason this is such a big deal is b/c it sets the precedent that you can copyright a vibe and a groove.

Are RT and Pharrell shmucks for a preemptive lawsuits? Surely, but that doesn't mean there is enough evidence that they completely copied the song.

I do think if there is proof that Thicke and Pharrell were referencing the Gaye track, repeatedly as they made the song, then the Gaye estate is due some money that would be virtually impossible to prove.. I'm of the opinion that they set out to make a song with a similar vibe, and really nailed it.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited March 2015
    Post edited by eddiec on