Options

shyness and gratitude

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
I'm about to start a new blog project about gratitude. There are many things to be thankful for, and people are part of it. What are ways you meet people without going online first? I usually meet people at work. Knitting groups are good, but many occur during dinner time.
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

Comments

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I met a lot of people I'd probably have never met when I joined a dog training club. I met even more when I started competing with my dog in Obedience. Super nice people, very fun. Non-credit classes are good places too--other people with similar hobbies or interests.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    How does shyness fit in? I ask this with sincerity (and as an introvert). Does the online mention - which has never been an initial go-to for me - tie into that?

In terms of meeting people, it happens frequently. At the market, a concert, through a friend/connection...any random place, really. But do those meetings "take"? Nope, at least not usually for me; not to the point where I want that person in our home or our life.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I meet a lot of people through my work activities but most of those people stay in the acquaintance category for quite a while.

Are you looking to meet friends or someone to go out with? Is there something in particular that you are looking for?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    A lot of times I daydream. Unfortunately, many of my daydreams focus on past medical issues. I'm sick of it.

One day a co-worker pissed me off. A lightbulb went off. During the time I was thinking about her I was not thinking about past medical issues. I almost wanted to give her a hug! :)

So, the more I am around people especially talking with people the less my past medical memories will be the ones I choose to daydream about. It is an exciting challenge, but I'm shy/bashful so it's not so easy.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Ms. Haiku wrote: »
    A lot of times I daydream. Unfortunately, many of my daydreams focus on past medical issues. I'm sick of it.

One day a co-worker pissed me off. A lightbulb went off. During the time I was thinking about her I was not thinking about past medical issues. I almost wanted to give her a hug!

So, the more I am around people especially talking with people the less my past medical memories will be the ones I choose to daydream about. It is an exciting challenge, but I'm shy/bashful so it's not so easy.

I see. So, you're actually just looking for people to spend time with so you can get your mind onto others. That's the type of thing you can do nearly anywhere! Find some activities you like to do and go do them with groups of people who also like those activities. :)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Maybe I'll focus on new knitting projects.

The colors of some yarn has stopped me in my tracks. People distract me more, but it may be easier to plan blogs.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote: »

One day a co-worker pissed me off. A lightbulb went off. During the time I was thinking about her I was not thinking about past medical issues. I almost wanted to give her a hug!

Why are you focused on the past, though?
  • Options
    Have you ever thought about volunteering? Do you go to a gym?
  • Options
    Why are you focused on the past, though?
    The medical issues happened recently, so the memories, unfortunately, are more intense than memories of something that happened 40 years ago. It's natural that over time the emotion associated with these memories will fade, but for now they still play havoc with my thought-time.

To answer your second question, I thought of volunteering over the past couple days. I would just need to figure out where. Maybe I'll volunteer at local road races or something like that.
  • Options
    Volunteering does wonders to our outlook and health, not to mention helps us get out and meet new people. It is hard to figure out exactly whom you want to volunteer for, that's the hard part, but after a while, perhaps you'll realize how good it feels. :)