Options

Best live version of Light Years.

Been jamming Binaural of late. SUCH A GREAT FUCKING ALBUM. Excuse my french. It seems that my PJ library lacks a solid Light Years live. Anybody got any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    any 2000 version is good.. it's played at a slower tempo (which is a good thing) and with more passion..
    Seattle night 2 2000, and Katowice night 2 2000 are the best, to me (I weren't at these shows, and I listened to all the 2000 versions, by the way)..
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,184
    edited February 2015
    Edit - I had the wrong year

Nashville 2003 or Melbourne 2003. Both are great and favorites of mine.

In Nashvile Ed sings at the end of the song "I need you. I needed you. Don't know if you knew but I needed you"

In Melbourne Ed sings at the end of the song "we remember you, everyday we remember you. Remember. You're still here. We remember you"
    I think this was meant for Anthony from Melboure. *********
    Post edited by maverick on
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited February 2015
    I know Pink Pop 2000 is a great show, and many consider it to have contained the best version of both NAIS and Light Years... and I understand why.... but on the other hand, does anyone else feel like Eddie seemed kind of emotionally fucked up for that entire show somehow?? To the point where, while it resulted in some awesome songs, is also a bit distracting or... i don't know.... depressing? I mean, i know he was talking about losing someone and all, but it's more than that, for that whole show (i've only seen it on video btw). Maybe it's just me. Either way, yeah, that's a sweet version of Light Years.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jarkkonieminenjarkkonieminen Melbourne, Australia Posts: 126
    Have a listen to Melbourne 2003. It's the only version I've heard with the "we remember" coda at the end. Love listening to this one
    Pearl Jam
    1995: Melbourne #3
    1998: Melbourne 1,2 & 3
    2003: Sydney #1, Adelaide, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3
    2006: Melbourne #1
    2009: Melbourne
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Charlotte, Phoenix
    2014: Melbourne, Cincinnati, Memphis, Denver
    2016: Hampton, Columbia
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2
    EV
    2011: Brisbane #2
    2014: Melbourne 2 & 3
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,184
    Chicago 2003 is another good one.
    At the end Ed sings "when I call for you, no one's gonna come. When I dream of you, you're there on my heart"
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Saratoga '00 is really good.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    I know Pink Pop 2000 is a great show, and many consider it to have contained the best version of both NAIS and Light Years... and I understand why.... but on the other hand, does anyone else feel like Eddie seemed kind of emotionally fucked up for that entire show somehow?? To the point where, while it resulted in some awesome songs, is also a bit distracting or... i don't know.... depressing? I mean, i know he was talking about losing someone and all, but it's more than that, for that whole show (i've only seen it on video btw). Maybe it's just me. Either way, yeah, that's a sweet version of Light Years.

I got that for sure - way before I ever saw the video of the show.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    PJ_Soul wrote: »

I think Eddie was emotionally fucked up for most of 2000. In the Bellingham show, he even says that he's not alright, that he's in pain. His personal life was falling apart and then Roskilde happened. He looked worn out by the second leg of the N.A. tour.

That's probably why they took a long time off after that. I take the Ukulele songs that he wrote during this period as a reflection of what happened in 2000.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Yet still fucking brought it big time every show. That's amazing human resiliency.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    Yet still fucking brought it big time every show. That's amazing human resiliency.

I think that's why those 2000 N.A. shows were so amazing, as the adversity Eddie and the band were facing made it seem like the band was leaning on the crowds to get through those shows.