Options

wrigley field 2.1 or any outside stadium

I know this is my 3rd, 4th post... If there is a rain delay can boom play the organ of the stadium, and Eddie do some amazing covers... Stadiums should be grounded by lightning rods, I understand stages are not. I'd rather have a healthy band than... However, how about a sweet acoustic set in the broadcast booth.... or please just give the fans some updates about the bad storm moving through, and ideas about when they will take the stage again... I loved Wrigley...(still do. Cubs still stink.) (would swear but should not) Pearl jam had more hits than the cubs that year. Great show. Just the lack of knowledge really stunk. Please be nice and release the show on vinyl! or dvd with commentary!
Please be nice with your comments!

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    Selling out stadiums isn't easy. Your usually talking 45000+ seats compared to a hockey/basketball arena that would generally hold less than 20000. I don't think PJ is quite big enough do that for a whole tour (except maybe in South America) but they're definitely popular enough to do them as a one off in really large markets (like Chicago :) ).

I could see them doing it again.

As for weather updates. I wasn't there but I agree communication is key. People are generally calmer if they are kept apprised of what's going on.

That being said I saw AC/DC play through a Thunder/Lightning storm in Edmonton once... those dudes are tough :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited January 2015
    jimnelsen wrote: »
    I know this is my 3rd, 4th post... If there is a rain delay can boom play the organ of the stadium, and Eddie do some amazing covers... Stadiums should be grounded by lightning rods, I understand stages are not. I'd rather have a healthy band than... However, how about a sweet acoustic set in the broadcast booth.... or please just give the fans some updates about the bad storm moving through, and ideas about when they will take the stage again... I loved Wrigley...(still do. Cubs still stink.) (would swear but should not) Pearl jam had more hits than the cubs that year. Great show. Just the lack of knowledge really stunk. Please be nice and release the show on vinyl! or dvd with commentary!
    Please be nice with your comments!

The updates were certainly awful. Many people never got any. The ONLY updates I became aware of were on twitter (someone else mentioned it around 11:15pm - my phone had died long before that). I don't think PJ's main fanbase is even on twitter, so that they'd rely on that for their updates is pretty stupid. There should have been numerous announcements over the loud speakers throughout the night, and informed us that we could leave and come back. I thought I was trapped in there until after it was all over, which caused me a fair bit of unnecessary suffering! I did see some poor guy who worked for Wrigley standing up on a ramp inside at one point shouting something though a bullhorn, but no one could hear a word he was saying in that chaos. It was pretty weak all around, and I actually blame Wrigley Stadium more than I do anyone or anything else. They should have handled that whole thing better. All it would have taken was using the sound system, and for some reason no one did. The only reason I even knew the band was coming back on stage is because I happened to go out to my seat for lack of anything better to do and I saw that they were almost done re-setting up.

Anyway, this is all just nostalgia. I don't think all of the things that happened that night are likely to repeat themselves!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Really? There were only two possible announcements - that the show would be cancelled, or that it would resume as soon as the forecast showed the venue in the clear. I don't see what kind of "update" they could have provided - they would have announced either way when it was definite, and that's what happened. Can't people just chill out and wait for the hard news? Yes, it was cramped in the hallways, but it would have been crazy for the venue to unleash people onto the streets by the thousands, and somehow re-enter thousands of people whose tickets have already been scanned/crumpled/tossed, etc, and keep out the unticketed who just happened to be hanging around. It went as well a sit could have.
  • Options
    It was awesome. Thats all I remember
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    They actually did let you leave the stadium and re-enter. My wife and I made it off the field and headed over to the Cubby Bear Bar across the street. Drank there for 3 hours and then headed back when we heard they were coming back on, we had friends who had GA so they gave us updates all night. You had to be near the gates to realize that you could leave and re-enter though.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I know they did let people leave, but how about announcing that you could leave the stadium (in a way everyone could hear)?? I and everyone else hanging around inside had no idea. I only found out the next day. And there was no announcement that the show would be going at all. Not until right before the band came back. How about announcing updates periodically at least letting us know that they still planned on going ahead? Because once it hits 11:30 pm, not everyone is feeling like it's going to be possible. Also, they never even annkunced when itnwas safe to go back to the uncovered seats again. So yeah, it was a really cool experience for sure. I actually wasn't complaining at all at the time; i had fun during the delay (but was very uncomfortable too). They just really needed more announcements. I see it as a learning opportunity for Wrigley.

One thing I will give them is that they had lots and lots of beer and served it right up until after the show started again. I wasn't even drinking, but I was impressed by how prepared they were as far as alcohol service went, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    my biggest complaint was the water situation. They wouldn't sell water during the delay, I can't remember but I think they sold out cuz I don't think they had any when they came back. i was so dehydrated when we left that i drank a 1.5L bottle by myself before we even got on the train.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, the water situation wasn't great. I had to wait in the concession lineup from hell in 40C heat, packed in like sardines in that stinking concrete corridor for more than an hour just to get water during the delay, and they wouldn't let me have them with the caps still on, so I couldn't carry them around in my bag for the rest of the delay or even figure out what to do with them in the washroom after. By the time I got the 2 bottles of water, I'd sweated out 3 bottles worth, lol. It was stupid. Also have no idea why that lineup took so long... the concession staff were beyond useless, i have to admit. A lot of the staff there were great, but my god, those people at the snacks counter were almost moving backwards. And they did seem to run out of food. I remember feeling desperate as I got closer, and then realized that I was going to get the very last soft pretzel... that was kind of cool, hahaha. ;)

Still, great night, lol! :P
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    wall232 wrote: »
    They actually did let you leave the stadium and re-enter. My wife and I made it off the field and headed over to the Cubby Bear Bar across the street. Drank there for 3 hours and then headed back when we heard they were coming back on, we had friends who had GA so they gave us updates all night. You had to be near the gates to realize that you could leave and re-enter though.

I would have loved to been able to leave and get a beer. I stood in line 40 minutes for an Old Style, and when I stupidly went back to get another, they cut off beer sales at the guy in front of me. Great night, but I would have loved to spend the 3 hours in a bar instead of a smelly concrete hallway.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i never left the field... fuck em
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    So Billy Joel announced he is playing Wrigley Field again...on Thursday, August 27th. Two days after that the Foo Fighters play on Saturday August 29th.

The past few years they've had different acts book back to back nights on Friday and Saturday...so why is Billy Joel playing Thursday instead of Friday? Unless a 3rd act has Wrigley booked for Friday night? Hmmm...