Options

10c Recipe and Cooking Tips Thread

PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
edited November 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello Everyone
Thought starting a thread with our favorite recipes and tips for everyone to share would be fun and a great place to come to when looking for something to make.

I'll start - ZESTY TOMATO CHICKEN SPAGHETTI

INGREDIENTS:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 (10 ounce) can campbell's tomato soup
1 cup stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup Italian dressing
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. Thoroughly mix together Tomato soup, stewed tomatos and Italian Dressing.
2. Place chicken breasts,chopped peppers and onions in covered oven dish.
3. Cover chicken and vegetables with tomato mixture.
4. Cover and bake at 375 deg for 90 minutes.
5. Remove and serve over spaghetti or noodles.

Enjoy =P~
Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    May have to break out the recipe box, once I get my wax down!!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I had to come up with a chili for a Chili Cook Off. This is what I created. For whatever it's worth, everyone always loves it! My favorite!

Sweet Kielbasa Chili

1 lb polish kielbasa, sliced thin
    1.2 lb pkg ground turkey
    3-4 sweet red peppers, chopped
    2 sweet onions, chopped
    1 lb carrots, chopped
    6.9 lb can kidney beans, rinsed well
    3 - 15 1/2 oz cans of mild chili beans
    2 cups instant rice, cooked
    1 pkg frozen corn
    1 1/2 - 2 c brown sugar
    3/4 c or so of cocoa powder
    Cracked pepper to taste
    28 oz can diced tomatoes
    6.9 lb can tomato sauce
    1 pkg mild chili seasoning

Brown ground turkey with some chopped onions and red peppers. In a separate pan, cook kielbasa, carrots, red peppers, onions and corn until flavors are well blended. When turkey is fully cooked, add to the kielbasa mixture. Add remaining ingredients and cook on medium until done, about 3 1/2 hours or so.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    this will be a fun thread to watch. I'll have to post something at some point. Im loving the idea of cocoa powder and kielbasa in chili. yum
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I love cooking and will come back here every now and then for inspiration. I follow a lot of cooking blogs and websites and am always on the hunt for interesting recipes. This caught my fancy the other day, I am drooling over the picture alone, but have never made it.

I love beet root, so I will probably make this at one point, but I just wanted to leave it here.... http://www.theawesomegreen.com/the-ultimate-veggie-burger/

Then I found this other recipe that has been driving me crazy since I saw it. This. Oh.My.God.
    http://whatsgabycooking.com/smore-pudding-pie/#.VGQFnsnvU0o
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

this will be a fun thread to watch. I'll have to post something at some point. Im loving the idea of cocoa powder and kielbasa in chili. yum

I'm assuming that's a turkey kielbasa ey Jen? ;)
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    badbrains said:

Exactly :D
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    edited November 2014

badbrains said:

Exactly :D
    Yup. We're turkey and chicken kind of people. You could rock it out with red meat or with meat free products and I'm sure that it would still turn out great.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    I tried these Pumpkin Spiced Cookies while in Seattle...anyone have the recipe for these would be greatly appreciated :p
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    This is the current favorite in my house. Lots of yummy pumpkins available right now so you don't have to cook with canned although the recipe does include instructions for using canned if you prefer.

simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chipotle_pumpkin_soup/
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

This is the current favorite in my house. Lots of yummy pumpkins available right now so you don't have to cook with canned although the recipe does include instructions for using canned if you prefer.

simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chipotle_pumpkin_soup/

Maybe I need to give a fresh pumpkin another whirl. The one time I did, I made the best pumpkin pie ever, but it was such a giant pain in the ass that I told my husband, "There's a reason why they sell that stuff in cans."

I cooked it the way his coworker told me, didn't skin it because I was putting it through a food mill and all the rind did was to crunch up into tiny pieces, leaving me to dig through piping hot pumpkin bare handed while trying to retrieve the pieces before more got processed in.

In short, it was (literally) a hot mess.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,843
    I also made a pie from fresh pumpkin once (luckily did not grind up the rind!). The end product was very tasty, but during the pumpkin roasting process I was sure it was all a big mistake because it smelled really foul - and I mean REALLY foul. We could hardly stand it in the house. Hard to believe a tasty pie could come out of that, but food is weird.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I also made a pie from fresh pumpkin once (luckily did not grind up the rind!). The end product was very tasty, but during the pumpkin roasting process I was sure it was all a big mistake because it smelled really foul - and I mean REALLY foul. We could hardly stand it in the house. Hard to believe a tasty pie could come out of that, but food is weird.

Nah. Mine smelled fine. Just had the rind problem.

I'll tell you where my thought process went. I figured that with the food mill, it would skin it for me and catch in the bottom of the mill as I went around and around with the handle.

That is not what happened.

Chunks of hot pumpkin whirled around. They were too big to catch under the blade that is supposed to push them through. When they did finally catch, the rind didn't skin off as I thought but chipped into pieces.

We'll call it BIG lesson learned.

I've since used the food mill with tomatoes and it works like a charm. I think that pumpkin was the wrong thing for the mill, but my spirit the day that the pumpkin went to chips was a bit too stubborn to admit it.
  • Options
    I roast mine then skin it then dump it in a food processor. This is the process I followed and it was pretty easy. Although I am really prone to cutting myself and am generally very klutzy so next time I may roast it whole then cut it up!

thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/make-your-own-pumpkin-puree/

I AM MINE
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited November 2014
    I am the least domestic person I know, so anything as simple as possible works for me. Here's a super simple salad that I made that my boyfriend and I recently devoured.
    You just toss:
    Arugula
    Goat Cheese
    Apples
    Dried Cranberries
    Walnuts
    A bit of EVOO
    Balsamic Vinaigrette
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ok, here it is.. As promised..
    Backwoods Venison Stew

You will need:
    1 tbs sea salt
    1 tea sp ground black pepper
    1 1/2 tbs Cumin
    1 tbs Sage
    1 tbs olive oil
    3 cups water
    2 1/2 lbs Venison, either ground or cubed..( I prefer cubed, you'll see why)
    1 LB sliced carrots
    4 stalks celery sliced
    5 potatoes quartered
    6 cobs corn shaved( but that's me, you can use frozen corn too)
    1/2 LB black beans presoaked
    Four slices bacon, or 1/2 LB salt pork
    1 cup sifted, raw flour (I use barley flour)
    1/2 cup raw cream
    How to prepare:
    Take salt, pepper, cumin, Sage, olive oil, and cream, mix in medium sized bowl. Then sear cubes of Venison in med. Skillet with Bacon or salt pork. ( if using bacon, start a bit before searing the Venison, if you are using cubed Venison cook it in the bacon grease as this helps seal the Venison flavor, and actually highlights the taste!! It also makes it more tender! Or you can add salt pork half way into browning the ground Venison).In small sauce pan heat mixture from bowl, slowly adding flour, til mixture is barely boiling, and thick. Transfer into large pot, add water, veggies, beans and seared meats, be sure to cube salt pork ahead of time; the bacon will fall apart on it's own as you stir the stew. If you are using frozen corn add it about half way through, other wise it gets rubbery.. But fresh corn shaved cooks in this perfectly, if the corn is raw! Bring to a mild boil, and then cook on low for about three hours, stirring as needed. If it starts getting too thick, add 1/2 cup water at a time. I use milk, but I'm weird too! This goes great with biscuits or fresh bread!

If you make this let me know how you like it! My family loves it!
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    Pic added. I made this tonight, so thought I'd add a pic so you all could see how delicious it looks!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,616
    Oh boy. Didn't realize this thread existed. I will be here often
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

Ok, here it is.. As promised..
    Backwoods Venison Stew

You will need:
    1 tbs sea salt
    1 tea sp ground black pepper
    1 1/2 tbs Cumin
    1 tbs Sage
    1 tbs olive oil
    3 cups water
    2 1/2 lbs Venison, either ground or cubed..( I prefer cubed, you'll see why)
    1 LB sliced carrots
    4 stalks celery sliced
    5 potatoes quartered
    6 cobs corn shaved( but that's me, you can use frozen corn too)
    1/2 LB black beans presoaked
    Four slices bacon, or 1/2 LB salt pork
    1 cup sifted, raw flour (I use barley flour)
    1/2 cup raw cream
    How to prepare:
    Take salt, pepper, cumin, Sage, olive oil, and cream, mix in medium sized bowl. Then sear cubes of Venison in med. Skillet with Bacon or salt pork. ( if using bacon, start a bit before searing the Venison, if you are using cubed Venison cook it in the bacon grease as this helps seal the Venison flavor, and actually highlights the taste!! It also makes it more tender! Or you can add salt pork half way into browning the ground Venison).In small sauce pan heat mixture from bowl, slowly adding flour, til mixture is barely boiling, and thick. Transfer into large pot, add water, veggies, beans and seared meats, be sure to cube salt pork ahead of time; the bacon will fall apart on it's own as you stir the stew. If you are using frozen corn add it about half way through, other wise it gets rubbery.. But fresh corn shaved cooks in this perfectly, if the corn is raw! Bring to a mild boil, and then cook on low for about three hours, stirring as needed. If it starts getting too thick, add 1/2 cup water at a time. I use milk, but I'm weird too! This goes great with biscuits or fresh bread!

If you make this let me know how you like it! My family loves it!

that looks delicious
  • Options
    Just used this method tonight.
    I will never peel a squash any other way now.

http://www.chefheidifink.com/blog/seasonal/how-to-peel-and-chop-a-winter-squash/

So much time wasted peeling a squash before I found this.......... :-<
  • Options

http://www.chefheidifink.com/blog/seasonal/how-to-peel-and-chop-a-winter-squash/

I'm doing it like this all the time. How did you do it before?
  • Options

I'm doing it like this all the time. How did you do it before?
    I always just tried to shave the skin off a little at a time hoping to not cut myself.
  • Options
    I see :D Well, good that you know a better way now! we're having squash so often, I naturally found this way to "peel" it. I usually dice it too, then cover a baking sheet with tin foil, dump the dice on there, brush them with melted butter with two or three crushed garlic cloves in it and bake them in the oven like potato wedges. We usually have them with some Greek yogurt that I turn into a dip by adding some spices, herbs and a little water to make it more fluid. Yummo!
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Anyone have a Recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cookies? :p
  • Options
    After almost severing my finger trying to peel an acorn squash, I finally figured out this method too! This is what we're having for dinner tonight and it is amazing!

halfbakedharvest.com/crockpot-crispy-caramelized-pork-ramen-noodle-soup-wcurry-roasted-acorn-squash/

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

After almost severing my finger trying to peel an acorn squash, I finally figured out this method too! This is what we're having for dinner tonight and it is amazing!

halfbakedharvest.com/crockpot-crispy-caramelized-pork-ramen-noodle-soup-wcurry-roasted-acorn-squash/

Thou shall not maim thyself for squash. I'm glad that you found a better way. Keep those fingers out of the way! I know that we have 10, but I find that I'm rather fond of all 10. :)
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Does anyone have a recipe for iced tea, that they have made and it tastes great? I'm having a girls lunch and thought it would be good to make, but I can't find a recipe. Thanks for any help :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well, considering it's getting warm over there is AU... Make sun tea! Take a one gallon jar, or covered pitcher, four regular tea bags, and three flavored ones.( I prefer mint or orange spice, although Apple cider is yummy too!) full with water, add tea bags, set in direct sunlight for thre to four hours, and then bring in, remove tea bags and chill. I usually add fruit to it as well,but do that at the end as the fruit gets soggy when left in the warm water. This us best done the day before, and left to chill overnight. If you have a gloomy day, or not enough time, boil one gallon water, repeat the rest, chilling the tea for an hour before adding fruit, and continue chilling. Enjoy your luncheon!
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    Hint: if you do the Apple Cider flavor, add a splash or two of actual Apple Juice rather than fruit, very refreshing, and quite delicious!
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Thanks very much whispering hands. Wow that sounds yum, do I just fill the jug with tap water?
  • Options

Thanks very much whispering hands. Wow that sounds yum, do I just fill the jug with tap water?

Yep!