Options

Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters) on lack of bands writing material together

So i was stumbling upon foo fighters videos, a band I really do love when I saw this video. At around the 9 minute mark Taylor starts talking about how he wished U2 would sit down together and write an album and how the new one didn't sound like that. Don't get me wrong, I think the new PJ stuff is really cool, but I would have to say it doesnt sound as cohesive and flowing and their old records used to. I just wish they'd all sit in a cabin (Zeppelin) for a few months and pump out an amazing band effort. Yes I know they have kids blah blah but so do the Foos! What do you guys think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RamG08U_MRc
Wrigley 2013 Cinci 2014

Comments

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    "I don't like the blues."
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    For sure that in most cases it is easy to tell whether an album was a full on collaboration or if it was put together in pieces by the sum of primarily individual efforts. It would seem that one of the advantages that up-and-coming bands have (versus those that have already "arrived") is that they generally play many dates and travel together which sort of creates the environment to just jam things out together while passing the time.

For mega bands (other than some exceptions) since they don't travel together, play tons of dates, and generally have "done it already", it's probably one of the big reasons that frequency of album releases drop off. Of course another major factor is that the longer a band is together the older they are, therefore they generally have more "life responsibilities" which means they will be less likely to spend significant time away.

Just rambling here as obviously the Foos are in the mega band category so are the exception.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I don't think FF get in a room and write their music together. Early on it was all Grohl, and with the newer stuff it sounds like one guy bringing the bulk of the material, b/c I hear alot of the same melodic ideas pop up repeatedly.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Funny i saw an interview where Bono stated that for this album they all hung out for like two months in a house they own and collaborated as in together , this Foo fool doesn't know what he speaks of ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

I don't think FF get in a room and write their music together. Early on it was all Grohl, and with the newer stuff it sounds like one guy bringing the bulk of the material, b/c I hear alot of the same melodic ideas pop up repeatedly.

Absolutely. Dave is the writer and arranger of that band. I'm sure ideas are accepted but Dave is the maestro.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited November 2014

Funny i saw an interview where Bono stated that for this album they all hung out for like two months in a house they own and collaborated as in together , this Foo fool doesn't know what he speaks of ...

Yeah, if anything U2 seems to spend too much time working on albums.
  • Options

So i was stumbling upon foo fighters videos, a band I really do love when I saw this video. At around the 9 minute mark Taylor starts talking about how he wished U2 would sit down together and write an album and how the new one didn't sound like that. Don't get me wrong, I think the new PJ stuff is really cool, but I would have to say it doesnt sound as cohesive and flowing and their old records used to. I just wish they'd all sit in a cabin (Zeppelin) for a few months and pump out an amazing band effort. Yes I know they have kids blah blah but so do the Foos! What do you guys think?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RamG08U_MRc

Yeah, sounds about right. The difference, for the most part, is that in the past PJ members brought in snippets, etc. And when they did have complete songs they would still rework.

One of things I do not like is how LB was done, and Brendan O'B said as much: they recorded half the record and came back some 6 months later to do the other half.
  • Options
    I liked when they wrote on the road like No Code and Vitalogy.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640

Me too. Quicker/hectic albums are often better
  • Options

Yeah this is what I mean, and Tbh I dont like ed's solo songs making it in as was the case with LB. Just seems like a filler to me
    Wrigley 2013 Cinci 2014